Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-25-2020, 04:13 PM   #1

Burned at the post

Any idea why this would happen? When I plugged into the 30 amp post my surge guard 44260 was all green, good to go. I didn't know anything was wrong until we were breaking down and could not unplug RV power from surge guard. When we did the prong was stuck in the surge guard and there was obvious heat damage on the surge guard and the power source. I have since replaced my male plug with a camco. And ordered a new and better Southside surge guard. I can't remember the model #, but it was highly recommended.
Equalizer WDH
dwisser1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2020, 05:02 PM   #2

That is caused by loose connection in the outlet on the PED. Always pay attention to the tension when you plug in. If it is not tight move to another site. EMS can not detect heat cause by loose connections.

2011 Keystone Sprinter 323 BH
Cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2020, 05:05 PM   #3

A loose connection would look OK with voltage which the surge protector is basically looking at in the correct phasing. But when you start pulling current it can heat up. It appears yours heated to the breaking (melting) point. A resistive contact can easily heat up and the more current you pull the hotter it will get.

I have heard that 30 amp outlets are famous for being loose in campgrounds. Many people carry a 30 amp to 50 amp adapter so they can plug into the 50 amp outlet, if available, because they are typically tighter (or so I've heard).

Jim

Retired electronic technician (45 years in the field)
2017 Greyhawk 29W (solar & many other mods)
wife (maybe I should have given her top billing)
JimD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2020, 05:56 PM   #4

If I encounter a loose or sketchy looking 30 amp connection I will use my 50 to 30 adapter and plug into the 50 amp outlet. In most cases they are in better shape because they get less use...

2022 33RBTS
Progressive Industries EMS - Hardwired
Equalizer 4 Point WDH
2021 Ford F350 7.3
Air Lift Rear Bags w/ On Board Compressor (Pending)
2016 28BHBE - (Traded and Missed already)
Marcm157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2020, 07:21 PM   #5

As others have mention this isn't an issue with the Surgeguard unit but the fit between the plugs (male/female). If the fit is loose or the RV plug is dirty or has corrosion (increased resistance) it will cause excessive heating even under normal voltage and current draw, in this case to the point of melting. We had this happen and now I make it a point to keep the plug clean and remove any corrosion that might build up over time.

2018 Jayco 28RLS
2012 F-250 6.2L 3.73
Equalizer Hitch
Yamaha 2400ISHC
2edgesword is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2020, 08:19 PM   #6

Arcing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavie View Post
That is caused by loose connection in the outlet on the PED. Always pay attention to the tension when you plug in. If it is not tight move to another site. EMS can not detect heat cause by loose connections.

I have begun (two years ago) carrying a 50-30 adapter. I modified my previous two TTs to Marinco bulkhead adapters to seal the mouse entrance. In doing that, the 20 or so foot power lead for my 2012 Jayflight SLX became a 20 ft extension...just in case. I then acquired 25 feet of the proper wire and made myself a power cord. Camco yellow 30 amp on one end, Marinco slotted on the other. After transfering this power cord to the 2016 FR Salem and spending several days at Abe's RV in OKC at one of their few 30 amp sites, while getting ready to return home, couldn't pull the power cord out of the pedestal. The bakelite was melted! It had surrounded the blade on one side of my male plug. I wondered why it went in so easily...now we know. Killed the breaker and had to pry my plug out. Found out the bakelite plug on the power stand wasn't the only thing melted...the hot wire had had insulation damage and the plug housing was toast. I told the front office as I left...then when I got home, I got another male 30 am RV plug and replaced it. That power cord is now only 24 feet 8 inches, instead of 25...
kblast523 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2020, 08:47 PM   #7

I saw "burned at the post" and thought you had been abducted by wild Indians. Glad to hear it's just a wiring problem.
Old 07-26-2020, 05:17 AM   #8

Thanks everyone, great advice. I'll make sure to watch out for loose connections, debris, corrosion and wild indians!
Equalizer WDH
dwisser1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2020, 10:43 PM   #9

This is really good advice.

I had this happen tonight! I put the kiddos to bed and turned the A/C on. It started up and then all the power went out! It was showing power on the protector and after much breaker flipping, searching the web, trial and error, and Prayer. I thought to start at the beginning. I went to the power pole at 10pm and unplugged the power. However I could not pull my trailer plug from the protector! When I finally did one of the protectors female holes was melted around my trailers plug prong! I plugged it in without the surge protector and I have power now! I guess I will go buy a new surge protector tomorrow. Thanks for the incite and what to look for while on my journeys. I think I will use my 50amp adapter as well based on the comments here. Cheers! ;-)
destes2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2020, 06:29 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by destes2003 View Post
I had this happen tonight! I put the kiddos to bed and turned the A/C on. It started up and then all the power went out! It was showing power on the protector and after much breaker flipping, searching the web, trial and error, and Prayer. I thought to start at the beginning. I went to the power pole at 10pm and unplugged the power. However I could not pull my trailer plug from the protector! When I finally did one of the protectors female holes was melted around my trailers plug prong! I plugged it in without the surge protector and I have power now! I guess I will go buy a new surge protector tomorrow. Thanks for the incite and what to look for while on my journeys. I think I will use my 50amp adapter as well based on the comments here. Cheers! ;-)
Before you spend that money try replacing the female plug on the EMS (assuming that is what you have and not just a surge protector). All may be right with the world. If a Progressive it may be under a lifetime warranty. For sure, check the male plug on your RV for any type of deformity or discoloration. I sure it took too much heat and will not make a good connection.

https://rvmentor.com/2019/11/24/ems-...o0_1M3_i4tQ-P0

2011 Keystone Sprinter 323 BH
Cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2020, 08:08 AM   #11

Was wondering why one of the prongs on my ems looked a little melted...