Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-09-2014, 07:39 AM   #1

Burning inside lightbulbs?

I have a brand new 2013 Jayco Jayflight 28BHBE. After using it for only 3 weekends, the light above the dinette went out. When we took the glass cover off to change the bulbs, they appeared to be burnt a bluish-black color. The fuse for the slide lights also blew out. We've replaced the bulbs and changed the fuse but that light is still not working (the other lights in the slide are working now). I've checked all of the other bulbs in the trailer and several of them are turning black.

Has anyone seen this? I'm hoping it's just a faulty fixture over the dinette, but worried that it's a bigger wiring problem since most of the other bulbs are turning black.
HeatherB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 07:52 AM   #2

If you have the halogen bulbs they were probably handled with bare hands. The oils from our hands will dramatically shorten their lives and I've seen them turn black when they fail.

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 07:52 AM   #3

I would have the dealer change that fixture.

As far as the bulbs turning black, mine do this as well. I think it has something to do with touching them. Here is a link that explains it more:
http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=19908
Gerard
glsimms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 07:54 AM   #4

I have the '14 28BHBE. We lost one of our halogens on our second trip (IIRC), lost another not long after that. I don't know what caused them to go so quickly, but I replaced them and immediately went on the hunt for LED replacements. I've also had problems getting the pins lined up just right, give the bulb a wiggle or even flip it around and see if that works. Otherwise, you might want to pull down the fixture (not hard, just 3 screws) and examine the wiring in the back...

For the halogen fixtures above the dinette and sink, these are my favorite so far:http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00EC70UN4/...I3A9GF72Q5TJDI

They have the closest match to color and brightness that I've found so far for those lights.

If you're replacing halogens, make sure NOT TO TOUCH the glass on the new bulb, the oils from your fingers could be causing this blackness and premature burn-out. Otherwise, replace them with LEDs and worry no further...

My pair of pennies...

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 08:11 PM   #5

Your trailer is still under warranty, take it to the dealer. Perhaps they can check it for shorts or power draw.
Life in the slow lane is still life.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bulbs, burn, dinette, fuse