Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-26-2015, 09:15 PM   #1

Buying 264BHW soon -- have some questions

I'm planning to purchase a Jay Flight SLX 264BHW this week. We got a really good deal on it and so we're upgrading from our popup--a 2002 Coleman Bayside, which was actually quite large, albeit light, with a slide.

I had a few questions though and am looking for opinions.

Unloaded weight is 4425
dry hitch weight is 510.
GVWR is 6500, but I don't plan to ever come close to that.

My TV is a 2007 Mercury Mountaineer V8/AWD with factory tow package. Trailer weight range: 0-7020 lbs
max tongue weight 500lb (WC), 740lb (WD)

I'm definitely going to get the WD hitch.

- Any suggestions on brake controller? I'm installing myself since the factory package included a connector so it's plug and play). Doesn't seem sensible to go cheap on this given how much the trailer costs, but I don't want to spend money I don't need to spend.

- I should be fine with capacities, right?

- There is an enormous cargo compartment up front. It shouldn't add to tongue weight pound-for-pound, but what do people usually carry in there? What does tongue weight actually end up being?

- Is there anything else I should be thinking about?

Thanks in advance for the help.
benman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 09:37 PM   #2

Review the GVWR of the tow vehicle, subtract the curb weight of the tow vehicle. The difference is the maximum of capacity of the tongue weight and all cargo and passengers in the tow vehicle. You should stay comfortably below this weight.

You can find GVWR info on a sticker on the door jamb of the mountaineer.

Tekonsha brake controllers are a popular choice.

2014 Eagle 30.5 RLS
2015 Dodge 3500HD SRW 6.7L
Click on my profile for Mods and notes
Jmooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 09:39 PM   #3

The WDH will shift weight forward off the rear axle, but does not change the maximum GVWR of the tow vehicle.

2014 Eagle 30.5 RLS
Old 04-26-2015, 10:14 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmooney View Post
The WDH will shift weight forward off the rear axle, but does not change the maximum GVWR of the tow vehicle.
Right -- it only changes the maximum tongue weight, according to the manual.
Old 04-26-2015, 10:18 PM   #5

The math is not in your favor to pull that trailer. You will be way over pay load and total weight allowed.

here is a link that will help you: Travel Trailer Weight Calculator

2013 F150 EXL Screw 5.0 4x4 3:55 locking ( not towing the above trailer with this truck)

Spending my children's inheritances on my toys!
sask934 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 10:30 PM   #6

I don't know much about your specific setup but one thing I can say is that with mine my rear axle weight and tow vehicle GVWR are the numbers that become an issue. My TT claims to have a tongue weight of 685lbs but add the propane and batteries and very quickly it's near 1000lbs. Even tho my tow vehicle is rated to tow another 1800lbs the GVWR of my tv is now maxed out. Unfortunately the only way to find out what everything really weighs is to buy it and take it to a scale, at least at my dealership. So I bought everything I could to make it as safe as possible while being close to my max weight and then start shopping for a 2500!
canadiankid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 06:32 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by sask934 View Post
The math is not in your favor to pull that trailer. You will be way over pay load and total weight allowed.

here is a link that will help you: Travel Trailer Weight Calculator
I posted a reply last night but it seems it never made it here. Anyway....

Thanks for the link -- that's very helpful.

Using the calculator, I got the following: Weight Calculator Results

It's close, but the max weights still appear to be within the vehicle's limits. Even at max tongue weight, I'd still have enough payload for passengers, but nothing else (which is OK with me).

So, it seems I have a range of 698-1267 lbs for trailer cargo. It seems from other threads on here that even 1000 lbs of cargo is high, so I would think I'd be fine. Realistically, if tongue weight ends up being around 700lbs at 13% (960 lbs of trailer cargo), I'd be somewhere around 5% under limits.

So, unless I'm missing something, if I closely monitor tongue weight and trailer cargo weight, and don't put anything in the Mountaineer other than passengers, I should be OK, right?
Old 04-27-2015, 06:36 AM   #8

Ah, I'm assuming this reply will post. I posted a reply last night but didn't see it this morning. When I re-posted, it said the moderator had to approve it. I'm thinking that the post requires moderator approval since I'm a new member and the post contained a link.

So, thanks to everyone for the replies and I assume my detailed reply will post at some point.
Old 04-27-2015, 08:18 AM   #9

Welcome! In the front compartment when traveling I carry equipment for camp setup outside the TT (entry door side) back side of compartment I carry items for hookup to water and power and maybe some items don't plan of using. Once parked I put the equalizer hitch in that compartment. Under the queen bed is the wife's area for storage...

Of note, I have added a propane tank cover, spare tire cover, struts to lift queen bed (awesome & needed to get to that part of storage area). Built a shelf system around vanity mirror/sink area for toiletries (wife quite happy with that as no medicine cabinet).

This all done before first outing because parks around here don't open until early May due to possible frozen water lines and possibility of freezing temps...

Larry J
'15 Jayco Jay Flight SLX 264BHW
'07 Ram 1500, 5.7 tow package, Tekonsha Prodigy P2 brake control
EQUAL-I-ZER. Manufacturer # 90-00-1000
LarryJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 08:22 AM   #10

Thanks LarryJ. I'm curious, what is your actual tongue weight with the stuff in the compartment and under the bed?
Old 04-27-2015, 08:28 AM   #11

OK, I'm going to post my reply from last night, but without the links so that it actually gets posted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sask934 View Post

here is a link that will help you:
Thanks for the link -- that's very helpful.

Using the calculator, I entered the following:

TV GVWR: 6280
TV GCWR: 12000
TV Max trailer WR: 7020
TV Max Tongue: 740
TV RGAWR: 3400
TV GVW: 4717 curb, but entered 5500 here
Trailer GVW: 5500 estimated
Trailer Tongue Weight: 700 estimated

Safety Margin: 10
Trailer TW percentage: 13

Running this, got answers of:

Max Trailer Wt: 5692 lb
Max TW with margin: 5123 lb
Max Tongue Wt: 740
Max Tongue Wt with margin: 666

It's close, but the max weights still appear to be within the vehicle's limits. Even at max tongue weight, I'd still have enough payload for passengers, but nothing else (which is OK with me).

So, it seems I have a range of 698-1267 lbs for trailer cargo. It seems from other threads on here that even 1000 lbs of cargo is high, so I would think I'd be fine. Realistically, if tongue weight ends up being around 700lbs at 13% (960 lbs of trailer cargo), I'd be somewhere around 5% under limits.

So, unless I'm missing something, if I closely monitor tongue weight and trailer cargo weight, and don't put anything in the Mountaineer other than passengers, I should be OK, right?
Old 04-27-2015, 09:10 AM   #12

Not sure what the tongue weight will be with added items in front storage, but will not add more then 75lbs while towing for stuff I pack, unsure what wife will put under bed though!! Also I doubt will have more then 250lbs cargo total in trailer that is unless I go dry camping and carry fresh water tank full (will do about 2/3 of the time). In the truck bed I often carry about 100lbs of fire wood (where allowed - lots of restructions now in place, so this is an iffy item), otherwise not much carried in truck bed.

Larry J
LarryJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 09:18 AM   #13

I just realized that there's a towing and tow vehicle forum. I guess I should have posted this there.
Old 04-27-2015, 10:24 AM   #14

So, Benman - give it a try and see how it tows. Ideally, your tow vehicle and Trailer should be level to each other.

Several JOF members have take this approach, and decided to upgrade tow vehicle after testing it out. Other, have been fine.

The GVWR ratings are there to warn you about issues with Braking, Engine & Tranny performance and Axel damage potentials.
Just keep you own safety and the safety of your passengers in mind

2014 Eagle 30.5 RLS
Old 04-27-2015, 10:32 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmooney View Post
So, Benman - give it a try and see how it tows. Ideally, your tow vehicle and Trailer should be level to each other.

Several JOF members have take this approach, and decided to upgrade tow vehicle after testing it out. Other, have been fine.
Right, but a new vehicle isn't really in the budget . I was originally planning to buy something lighter (and used, so cheaper too) but this new one ends up being only a few thousand more than a 2007 Jayco Jay Feather X23B I saw on craigslist.
Old 04-28-2015, 10:50 PM   #16

You're in a similar situation to ours with the same trailer. When I did the online calculator, using 15-20% margins, I came up with a max cargo capacity of 900 lbs. I was assured by the dealer tech folks that most people average 400-500 lbs of cargo, with 750 being on the extreme side. We have a mid size SUV (2002 Olds Bravada) which is similar to yours, I believe.

Here are some further points to keep in mind:
None of this applies if you're hauling with full tanks...you will easily exceed your limits in that case. Also, some vehicles have option for transmission more suited to heavy hauling which raises towing capacity considerably (alas, mine doesn't have that transmission in it). Even though you appear be within your towing limits does not mean your vehicle will perform as it usually does, so be wary of hills...you will want to save that trip to the Rockies for when you have a pickup. Do not tow in "D" with overdrive; use next gear after that or your transmission gets too hot. Finally, I recommend you have dealer install the electric brake controller, and get one with digital readout so you can monitor braking action.

Enjoy! We love our 264BHW!
tdk2765 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 06:05 AM   #17

Thanks for sharing the experience with the Bravada. The Mountaineer has about 1000 lbs more capacity than the Bravada, so if your experience has been good, I feel a lot more comfortable about the setup, especially if you have the 3.73 axle ratio.

I'll definitely turn off OD. I have a six speed, so OD-off locks out both 5th and 6th gears.

I'm planning to get a Tekonsha P3. It is plug and play in my vehicle (harness already installed with toe package) so I'm definitely going to install it myself.

If you don't mind my asking, do you know what your tongue weight is generally? Also, what WD hitch do you use? Do you experience a lot of sway with your setup?
Old 04-29-2015, 06:55 AM   #18

" I was assured by the dealer tech folks that most people average 400-500 lbs of cargo, with 750 being on the extreme side."

TDK this might be true if you dont count propane, battery, WDH and all the add ons from factory but if the weights you are going on are the dry weights the factory gives you 750lbs of cargo is not much at all!

Benman have you ever gone to a scale with you and the TV full of fuel and seen that weight?
Old 04-29-2015, 10:30 AM   #19

I don't own the trailer yet.
Old 04-29-2015, 10:37 AM   #20

Just the tow vehicle weight is what I'm wondering.