Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-06-2020, 12:06 PM   #21

That vehicle is not a reliable, high quality truck. It will most likely cause you lots of problems, not all of which can be fixed. A Ford V-8 or Tundra would be a much better choice. The Ram is the lowest quality truck made.
Marmot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 02:10 PM   #22

The eco diesel is a great choice. Just check the rear diff ratio. It it is not the 3:92 you may have to do a bit more research. I just got a 2020 ram 1500 eco diesel with the 3:92 and the tow capacity is over 10k.
Good lunch and safe travels!
Tyree3rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 03:12 PM   #23

The eco diesel isn’t a great choice. It’s an Italian-made motor known for problems.
Marmot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 08:04 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marmot View Post
That vehicle is not a reliable, high quality truck. It will most likely cause you lots of problems, not all of which can be fixed. A Ford V-8 or Tundra would be a much better choice. The Ram is the lowest quality truck made.
And we all know what FORD stands for
Fix
Or
Repair
Daily
jeffmcpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 08:28 PM   #25

First on race day. FORD
2018 Jayco Jayfeather 27 RL, 2002 Ford excursion, v-10, 3:73 gears 4x4 mine. 2020 Buick Encore Hers, Retired Air Force, now Retired.
Parcany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 09:06 PM   #26

I have the same 2019 Ram classic that we use to tow our Jay flight SLX 212QB and it does a great job. Traveled almost 5000 miles last year with our rig using a Husky center line TS hitch. The 8 speed tranny and 3.55 diff made it easy.
joe w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 10:54 PM   #27

Horsepower has almost nothing to do with towing, things like suspension, axle ratio and most important brakes and transmissions do. The fact he deleted emissions and "boosted" items I would walk from that truck fast.

So I've been running, lifting, upgrading diesels for 20 years, and I used to have 3, now I have 1, why? Because they are expensive and the fuel that used to be cheaper is currently 70 to 90 cents more per gallon. I keep my 5500 for heavy towing as I own heavy equipment, but my other trucks have been sold, because unless your towing over 10k pounds on an almost daily basis you are throwing your money away...period, and these half ton diesels are a joke for towing, they are a Niche market.

A new truck with a diesel is 10k more then a gas motor, for the extra 10k in savings I'd would take a 3/4 gasser or a half ton gasser with the tow max package plus the fuel savings isnt there anymore, plus most guys and gals tow a camper a handful of times a year and the rest of the time daily driving a diesel is expensive. Your better off w a gas truck and buying a fuel efficient run a round car w the left over 10k.

Most of my buddies that bought into the diesel craze have gone back to gas, except my one friend who just bought a diesel but has nothing to to tow, he said yeah but they last 400k miles, my reply was " yeah so did my dads 6.0 gas Chevy and we live in the north so that diesel engine doesn't make it rust out by slower hahaha.

I seriously flipped the keys to my 3/4 ton diesels for a new vette, best thing I ever did, I use the 5500 daily, and our camper is about 12k loaded so i use it for that too, plus it's a crew cab dump so atv and such fit in the bed, then the vette for fun and it gets 28-32 mpg, if you keep your foot out of it.

For a 7k trailer towed occasionally, get a half ton gas truck w tow max package, add some air bags for good measure, much better all around.
Pzilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2020, 05:51 PM   #28

It i obvious you are a ford guy. And thats OK!
Tyree3rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2020, 07:38 PM   #29

Don’t buy any eco diesel 1/2 ton if you want to tow a trailer. The manufactures had some type of pipe dream when they came out with them because they suck. The best one was the Nissan which had a Cummins but it was discontinued because once again it failed to deliver. Get a 3/4 ton diesel and be done with it.