Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-16-2018, 10:09 PM   #1

Buying and taking possession

As we get closer to making the purchase, I was hoping some of you could share your wisdom regarding buying and taking possession.

Once you agree upon a price, when exactly do you hand over the check? Is this done before or after PDI?
I've read on several forums to expect to find problems at PDI. Does this get treated as a warranty issue, or do you simply pass on the unit and require them to obtain one without any defects or damages?

I understand that the trailer isn't ready upon purchase. Is this due to them needing to do a thorough cleaning and filling of propane tanks, etc, or is this due to them making repairs?

How long is a reasonable time to wait once purchasing the unit to be able to use it?

Thanks in advance.
Octopus Prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 01:12 AM   #2
Site Team

I don't know if it is the same for everyone, but I didn't pay until after the PDI. I took delivery immediately after the PDI and used it that day since everything was ready to go.
2015 MB Sprinter 2500 Passenger 2.1L Diesel
2007 Ram 2500 4x4 Cummins 5.9L G56

Midnightmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 03:52 AM   #3

"Once you agree upon a price, when exactly do you hand over the check? Is this done before or after PDI?"

Ditto what Midnightmoon says: Try not to pay until you actually intend to drive it from the lot, after all issues with the PDI have been corrected, if possible. If the unit has to stay there for post-PDI repairs, why should you have to be paying the bank for something you don't have yet?

"I've read on several forums to expect to find problems at PDI. Does this get treated as a warranty issue, or do you simply pass on the unit and require them to obtain one without any defects or damages?"

It's reasonable to expect some kind of issue(s) to arise. This is normal, for the most part. While it's been sitting on the lot other people (salesmen, potential customers, etc.) have been going through it. It may be dirty, for example, and needs to be cleaned. Mine had been towed to RV shows and there was some gunk here and there that had to be cleaned up, and one of the recliners had a tear on the side that couldn't be seen until I turned it around. Use PDI forms and expect to spend a few hours there. Don't be rushed.

No need to get anxious or angry about it, just anticipate that there is a lot more to look at with one of these as opposed to picking up a new car. That being said, caveat emptor, and don't be afraid to ask questions or even walk away if anything major seems out of place or is overwhelming. If the dealership has a good reputation, you'll probably be just fine.

John from Central Florida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 12:04 PM   #4

My experience was somewhat different.
We ordered out 38FDDS on November 1st 2015 and were given a delivery date of 8-12 weeks. At that time, we gave a deposit of around $500. A few weeks later, we got a build date of January 7th, which was confirmed on the 8th or 9th that the unit had been built. The rig showed up at the dealership 2 weeks later on 1/21/16.

We went to the dealership upon delivery to check it out and do a quick unaccompanied walkthrough. It was freezing out that day, I remember it well. The rig was in great shape and nothing stood out as being wrong. At that point we did all the paperwork and paid for the rig. We had no intention of taking possession until the spring at which time we knew we'd do the PDI and make delivery arrangements to our seasonal site on Cape Cod, 130 miles from the dealership. 2 days before delivery in late April we did the PDI. When we arrived at the dealership for the PDI, the rig was all set up and cleaned. The PDI went perfect so the delivery was ON!
On delivery day, we met the dealership at our seasonal site. They were on time and did a great job placing the rig nicely right up against our deck exactly where I wanted it. At that point I signed the final paperwork to start the two year warranty. They also took away my trade. The bummer was that our CG didn't open until 5/15, so upon delivery we went home and didnt start using the rig until 2.5 weeks later. I remember that being a looong couple of weeks.
I know most folks won't do the final paperwork until after the PDI. But I felt comfortable enough with my dealer and my initial walk through to finish the deal 3 months before the PDI/delivery.
Old 01-17-2018, 01:46 PM   #5

jloco,
Did you have any warranty issues? Were there any problems, major or minor, that needed to be corrected either before or after you got it to your seasonal site?
Old 01-17-2018, 07:22 PM   #6

My TT was in stock on the lot. I gave them a deposit. They asked for 3 days to do the prep work which was fine with us. We arrived on delivery day with a PDI list of our own, the dealer rep was grateful. He said that after we completed that he knew that we would be happy. PDI was excellent with a few minor issues. While I went in to pay the bill he personally repaired the items since service was busy. Drove home the same day. PDI took 2 hours.
2019 Chevy express 2500 Van Coversion. 2017 Jayco 23MRB: 26' total and Glacier Package. 2 Renogy solar panels. Married 49 years. Haley the mutt, 4 years old. "Excited to learn new things everyday and humbled by those who offer to help." And very grateful to our Moderators!
travelingjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 06:55 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octopus Prime View Post
jloco,

Did you have any warranty issues? Were there any problems, major or minor, that needed to be corrected either before or after you got it to your seasonal site?

About 2 weeks after we started using the trailer, I was sitting on the deck under the awning and looked up to notice a defect in the awning fabric about 6-8” from the trailer wall. Around the same time, the Furrion system crapped out. I had also noticed that the outside shower had been plumbed backwards (hot faucet was cold, cold faucet was hot). I tested the plumbing at the PDI, but I didn’t notice the backward plumbing. Nor did I notice the awning issue.
I called the dealer and reported my problems. They came to my seasonal site and addressed all the issues in one visit. Not all dealers will will travel 130 miles to a seasonal site for warranty repairs, but I had mentioned this prior to making the deal in the first place and they agreed.
That was summer 2016.
Since then, I had a propane leak (2017)near the tanks but I couldn’t figure out if it was the regulator or one of the pigtail hoses. Again, I called the dealer. This time they shipped me a new regulator AND pigtails (under warranty)which I swapped out myself.
That’s been it for warranty issues. My warranty expires this April, so any issues this season will be on me. I’m a pretty handy guy so hopefully I won’t encounter any issues beyond my capabilities.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-22-2018, 06:47 PM   #8

Just sent out some offers for 40% off MSRP. We'll see if I get some bites on that or responses with "LOL."
Old 01-22-2018, 07:20 PM   #9
Site Team

Quote:
Just sent out some offers for 40% off MSRP. We'll see if I get some bites on that or responses with "LOL."
Best of luck. I'd also suggest walking in to your local dealer with the money ready to buy. You may be surprised with the response you will get in person.

Old 01-23-2018, 07:22 AM   #10

I've gotten my first response. He countered with his inflated "low" price that was posted online.
I at least expected a decent counter offer. [emoji52]

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

https://visitedstatesmap.com/image/ALCOFLLANMTXsm.jpg
Old 01-23-2018, 07:52 AM   #11
Site Team

Don't get discouraged. Just keep in mind that this process can be frustrating at times.

Old 01-23-2018, 08:27 AM   #12

It will be frustrating to you at times because the dealers sole purpose in life is to extract as much money from you as they can. Other than that, have some fun with it and be patient.
TCNashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 09:36 AM   #13

We've purchased 4 units from dealers. With the exception of one, we didn't hand over a check until after the PDI. The one exception was our Hybrid TT. The dealership owned a campground next to the dealership. The salesman had us hook up the TT and drive to our site. He helped us back in and then went over everything in the TT. So we paid first, then did the PDI.

I would agree that you should not pay for it until you are ready to take it off the lot. However, with our current TT, we paid for it and then the dealer delivered it to our seasonal site the next day. We would have had to wait about a week to find a window to purchase and deliver in the same day. If we had a vehicle that could tow the almost 12,000 lb Bungalow, we would have drove off the lot with it.

We have been fortunate that we have never had an issue that needed to be fixed before we handed over a check. If we did, I would not pay for it until it was ready to leave the lot. The only exception would be if there was a notation on the contract that repairs would be made under warranty after taking delivery.

When we purchased our current TT, one of the pages in our purchase packet that we signed and the dealer signed stated that the TT was to be delivered to our site on whatever date. Although I did not expect anything more than just delivery and wheel choking, the delivery driver set everything up and made sure everything worked after we hooked it up. He spent almost as much time with us and the TT that the PDI guy did.

-Michael
michael.g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 07:57 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael.g View Post
We've purchased 4 units from dealers. With the exception of one, we didn't hand over a check until after the PDI. The one exception was our Hybrid TT. The dealership owned a campground next to the dealership. The salesman had us hook up the TT and drive to our site. He helped us back in and then went over everything in the TT. So we paid first, then did the PDI.

I would agree that you should not pay for it until you are ready to take it off the lot. However, with our current TT, we paid for it and then the dealer delivered it to our seasonal site the next day. We would have had to wait about a week to find a window to purchase and deliver in the same day. If we had a vehicle that could tow the almost 12,000 lb Bungalow, we would have drove off the lot with it.

We have been fortunate that we have never had an issue that needed to be fixed before we handed over a check. If we did, I would not pay for it until it was ready to leave the lot. The only exception would be if there was a notation on the contract that repairs would be made under warranty after taking delivery.

When we purchased our current TT, one of the pages in our purchase packet that we signed and the dealer signed stated that the TT was to be delivered to our site on whatever date. Although I did not expect anything more than just delivery and wheel choking, the delivery driver set everything up and made sure everything worked after we hooked it up. He spent almost as much time with us and the TT that the PDI guy did.

-Michael

This^^^^
Some dealers take the time to do it right.. unfortunately many don’t . Be sure you know who you’re buying from.
I have no problem paying a bit more from a reputable dealer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-28-2018, 08:42 PM   #15

If you have time just wait another month and make the same offer. Then wait another month. If it stays on the lot eventually you will buy it.

Or, someone will come along and offer 25% under MSRP and get it.

The dealer we bought from had three identical trailers at three different prices. The only difference was how long they had been on the lot. When I asked the salesman he stated that the longer they are on the lot the lower the price.

We bought the cheaper of the three (factory date was about 6 months old) and have been happy with it. FYI, what we paid (including tax and license) was about 30% below MSRP.
Maggie, Old English Sheepdog
vcbice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 11:43 AM   #16

We put a deposit on it today and will do the inspection and pay later this week.
I could have gotten a better deal elsewhere, but I think I did well at my local dealer (who has a good reputation for service), and since it's our first trailer we wanted close to home.
Printing out PDI form from this site and taking it with me.
I appreciate everyone's help on this.

https://visitedstatesmap.com/image/ALCOFLLANMTXsm.jpg
Old 01-29-2018, 12:21 PM   #17

Congratulations. Be sure to take your time, don't be afraid to ask questions and don't let them rush you through the inspection. You may also want to consider videoing the PDI for future reference.

-Michael
michael.g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 12:48 PM   #18

Quote:
We put a deposit on it today and will do the inspection and pay later this week.
I could have gotten a better deal elsewhere, but I think I did well at my local dealer (who has a good reputation for service), and since it's our first trailer we wanted close to home.
Printing out PDI form from this site and taking it with me.
I appreciate everyone's help on this.

Congratulations! Since this is your first trailer, I believe you made the best choice by purchasing local. Enjoy!
CampNow is offline   Reply With Quote