Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-02-2022, 06:47 PM   #1

Buying New TT

Hey guys, new here, buying our first trailer and what a wealth of information already you guys are! Looking at the following trailers and trying to get the best built one with the least problems haha:

Jayco Jayfeather 24BH
Jayco Baja SLX 242BHSW
Jayco Rocky Mountain 242BHSW

Or the transcend 261bh or crossroads sunset trail 24bh

As I understand the jayfeather and sunset trail are aluminum frame.. worth the extra money?

Appreciate any help narrowing this down
Klewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2022, 07:16 PM   #2

We didn’t buy new until our third RV. Can save a bunch of money finding a good used trailer. More importantly you will find things you want and things you don’t want after camping for a while. Each of our RV’s had more of what we liked and less of what we didn’t like. We feel our 4th RV, which we bought new, will be with us for some time. A change in family caused us to only have our 3rd RV for 2 seasons.
2012 Jayco 32 BHDS: Long Gone
2007 R-Vision 25: Long Long Gone
1965 Frolic Cabover: My First RV
Bugzilla46310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2022, 07:21 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugzilla46310 View Post
We didn’t buy new until our third RV. Can save a bunch of money finding a good used trailer. More importantly you will find things you want and things you don’t want after camping for a while. Each of our RV’s had more of what we liked and less of what we didn’t like. We feel our 4th RV, which we bought new, will be with us for some time. A change in family caused us to only have our 3rd RV for 2 seasons.
Thanks for the words Bugs! I have been looking for used but alot of whats out there around here at least is almost the same price as new, and no warranty, and on third owners already which they dont know the history of the last 2 along with no checks on the roof consistently. Even the new ones seem to have alot of issues though I see... I will keep an eye out on the used ones still though.. any years you would recommend avoiding?
Old 02-02-2022, 07:59 PM   #4

Our first camper was A Jayco G2 Bunkhouse Bought it used
and was in like new when we bought it
we bought from a priv. party we have had several Jayco Campers .
Jayco 330RSTS Gone
Jayco G2 bunkhouse Gone
herewego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2022, 08:26 PM   #5
Site Team

Looking at your list, I would highly recommend the Baja edition. We absolutely love ours and the added ground clearance pretty much eliminates all of the concerns of scraping or dragging things going in and out of campgrounds, driveways, etc.
2015 MB Sprinter 2500 Passenger 2.1L Diesel
2007 Ram 2500 4x4 Cummins 5.9L G56

Midnightmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2022, 05:07 AM   #6

Can’t comment on your list or argue with your logic on new. Seems all type of used vehicles are skyrocketing in cost. I can say I and my better half were both disappointed in the quality of the new 2019 Forest River 26 DBUD because we really liked the floor plan. Can say we thought our 2012 Jayco was better built than our 2021, though we have only been able to use the 2021 one time as we bought it at the end of our camping season. About half dozen minor items for warranty.
2012 Jayco 32 BHDS: Long Gone
2007 R-Vision 25: Long Long Gone
1965 Frolic Cabover: My First RV
Bugzilla46310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2022, 06:14 AM   #7

Bring an experienced rv person with you when you do your PDI. Use a thorough checklist and ensure all repairs are completed before you take delivery or pay.
tnka trk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2022, 06:17 AM   #8
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnka trk View Post
Bring an experienced rv person with you when you do your PDI. Use a thorough checklist and ensure all repairs are completed before you take delivery or pay.
This is extremely important and probably the best advice anyone could give. Do not take delivery or pay for the unit until you are 100% satisfied with it. Please do not fall for the "make a list of items and we will take care of it under warranty in a few weeks" line that the dealer may try to sell you. The vast majority of times, that ends up with frustrations and complaints.
2015 MB Sprinter 2500 Passenger 2.1L Diesel
2007 Ram 2500 4x4 Cummins 5.9L G56

Midnightmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2022, 06:54 AM   #9

Choose your dealer carefully. This may be a bigger decision than which model. Mine had me text over pics of my warranty issues. My dealer is 150 miles one way. They sent those to jayco for approval, had me in and out in a couple of hours on a saturday morning. Luv small town America.
Old and soft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2022, 07:03 AM   #10

Be sure to put all things found in you own hand writing
this will show urgency and you exspect the items to be taken care of ,just our 2 cents works for us every time and if you can tell them you willnot take del until the check list has been done when you leave it will take just as long for repair its there get it done (if you find anything, and take a plug tester,and phone charger with you and a good flash light jheck it just like its a new house
Jayco 330RSTS Gone
Jayco G2 bunkhouse Gone
herewego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2022, 09:10 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnightmoon View Post
Looking at your list, I would highly recommend the Baja edition. We absolutely love ours and the added ground clearance pretty much eliminates all of the concerns of scraping or dragging things going in and out of campgrounds, driveways, etc.
X2.
1984 gmc k1500 4x4 s/w/b. s/b 350,700r4,373 diff,.restored and upgraded( retired - sold). 2022 Chevy Z-71 Trail Boss 4x4 crew cab s/w/b 6.2 gas a/t. 2018 hummingbird Baja 16mrb,Yamaha ef2400ishc inverter.
Happy wife / happy life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2022, 11:34 AM   #12

thanks so much for the advice! does anyone have a detailed check list I could use? Anyone familar with the open range brand? also owned by Jayco I see.
Old 02-03-2022, 12:28 PM   #13
EJH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klewis View Post
thanks so much for the advice! does anyone have a detailed check list I could use? Anyone familar with the open range brand? also owned by Jayco I see.

I have an Open Range (actually Highland Ridge is the brand). My trailer is a clone of the Feather Micro series (kind of a 'no-frills' version in some respects). Message me if you want more details.
Old 02-23-2022, 01:17 PM   #14

Looking at all 3 they are all sweet but I saw one with a walk in pantry. That would sell me. Otherwise I wish you luck. Its all a matter of preference. I did like the first one though. Good luck.
spark of insanity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2022, 02:08 PM   #15

Quote:
Hey guys, new here, buying our first trailer and what a wealth of information already you guys are! Looking at the following trailers and trying to get the best built one with the least problems haha:

Jayco Jayfeather 24BH
Jayco Baja SLX 242BHSW

As I understand the jayfeather and sunset trail are aluminum frame.. worth the extra money?

How many children do you have? Is that why you want the BH models?
joe w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2022, 01:14 PM   #16

Quote:

Jayco Jayfeather 24BH
Jayco Baja SLX 242BHSW

Personally my observations are that Jayco and many other TT manufacturers have really dropped the ball on quality of build as well as timely (if you can get it ) warranty service. We bought a new 2020 RKS. Loved the floor plan so sold our 2009 Glacier Edge BH and bought the new one. Still love the floor plan but man the build quality sucks. Next TT will be an Airstream or at least one with an extruded box metal frame. Have a good look see in behind compartments to inspect the plumbing routing and wiring. There are some pretty scary things out there. Excess wire just balled up and stuffed into the compartment. You sure as hell wouldn't do that on a new home build. Also Excess wire is like a huge resistor and can reduce terminal voltage. Like Really, how long does it take to cut wire to the appropriate length? or for that matter route the plumbing supply lines so that they are neatly placed and easily accessible. My apologies if I sound a little negative. Just gets to a guy after a while. Cheers and I hope it all goes well for you.
CBCOCRBO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2022, 06:27 AM   #17

There is a great PDI Checklist on the site. Check out the General Jayco RV Chat section. The 5th sticky down has a great list thanks to Inthewind. Very detailed and easy to download & use.

2015 Starcraft AR-ONE Maxx 21FB
2023 Chevrolet Suburban LT 1500
mrmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2022, 06:54 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBCOCRBO View Post
Personally my observations are that Jayco and many other TT manufacturers have really dropped the ball on quality of build as well as timely (if you can get it ) warranty service. We bought a new 2020 RKS. Loved the floor plan so sold our 2009 Glacier Edge BH and bought the new one. Still love the floor plan but man the build quality sucks. Next TT will be an Airstream or at least one with an extruded box metal frame. Have a good look see in behind compartments to inspect the plumbing routing and wiring. There are some pretty scary things out there. Excess wire just balled up and stuffed into the compartment. You sure as hell wouldn't do that on a new home build. Also Excess wire is like a huge resistor and can reduce terminal voltage. Like Really, how long does it take to cut wire to the appropriate length? or for that matter route the plumbing supply lines so that they are neatly placed and easily accessible. My apologies if I sound a little negative. Just gets to a guy after a while. Cheers and I hope it all goes well for you.
I went through the wiring on my 212 QB and removed excess wire, soldered and shrink wrapped where I made the cuts. Anyone need about 30' of wire? Next went over every nut, bolt and screw and found a few that were loose. Propane hoses beneath the unit were not well secured so cleaned up that sloppy job. Torque value of the wheels were all over or under the proper value, loosened them all and retorqued. Noticed that the pantry shelves are simply stapled to the uprights so I reinforced those. Bought a couple of the propane rubber tank halos for where the tank sits on the platform to preclude any rust forming there.
joe w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2022, 12:20 PM   #19

Maybe I missed it in one of the posts, but I’m curious as to what you were planning on towing this with.
cekkk is offline   Reply With Quote