Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-06-2014, 10:42 AM   #1

Buying Used Trailer - Please Advise!

My family of six (2 adults and 4 kids ages 11, 9, and twin 1 year olds) is looking at buying our first travel trailer, a 2009 Jay Flight 19 BH. We would really appreciate your advice, warnings, things to check out before we buy it! The asking price is $8000.
Thanks in advance!
Tanya
fehrski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 10:55 AM   #2

Smile

If you are able and your tow vehicle is buy a larger trailer because they will grow up fast
2006 JAYCO JAY FEATHER 23B EXP
EQUILIZER HITCH
Kellys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 12:23 PM   #3

Look for evidence of leaks, that is water spots, soft areas in the floor, swelled wood, delaminated paneling or outer walls. If you can inspect the roof do it. Look for cracked or dried out caulking. That's not bad if is, but then see if there are any leaks as a result.

Find out if the tires are the original. If they are they will need to be replaced regardless of how good they look. Trailer tires disintegrate from the inside. 6 years max is the rule on their safe useable life span.

Have them demonstrate everything to you, water heater, furnace, AC, microwave, awning, etc. Make sure it all works.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 12:31 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kellys View Post
If you are able and your tow vehicle is buy a larger trailer because they will grow up fast
I am going to have to agree with Kellys. That is an awful small unit for 6 of you. We spent months looking for just the right TT for our family of 4 and our price range but well worth the wait.

+1 on everything Doc Brown said.

When I die, I want to go peacefully like my grandfather did–in his sleep. Not yelling and screaming like the passengers in his car.
Tex1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 12:35 PM   #5

Find out when the last time the wheel bearings were packed. If it's been over a year and you buy it, have it done again so you'll at least have a starting point. I have mine done annually as most trailer breakdowns I see on the road are just that, failed wheel bearing. Make sure all the systems and appliances work. Look at the flooring under the sink and around the water tank which is indicative of pipe or tank damage. Have them fill it with water and turn the pump on. It should pressure up and hold. Let it sit for a while and listen to see if the pump turns on again. If so, there may be a leak somewhere so look for it. Good luck
mtelkhntr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 01:37 PM   #6

Definitely check out the roof. I just bought a 2011 22FB and got the dealer to find a ladder so I could go up and check it out. Look underneath also to make sure everything is ok, check visually the gas lines, wiring, plumbing etc. Open and look in all the compartments, including pulling the fridge and water heater cover.

-2013 F150 4x2 SuperCab 3.5EB
-2011 Jay Flight 22FB (SOLD)
Upuaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 04:39 PM   #7

x2 on the roof, it's about halfway through its lifetime if it was taken care of. If it wasn't taken care of who knows how long it will last, you really need to check it.
Oh, and I have a tent... Somewhere around here....
Rolling Thunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 08:57 PM   #8

Purchase a tent for the kids.

2014 Eagle 30.5 RLS
2015 Dodge 3500HD SRW 6.7L
Click on my profile for Mods and notes
Jmooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 09:26 PM   #9

Check the frame closely for any cracks. Hook up to pressurized water to check for leaks in the plumbing. Check the roof sealant for any gaps or cracks. Operate every appliance to make sure they work properly. Put a thermometer in the fridge and freezer to find if they get down to 35+-, 10+- degrees. Run the AC and water heater. Check the tire build date code so you know how old they are- over 4 or 5 years they must be replaced. Check the condition of the roof membrane. TV antennae works? Cable TV hookup works? Battery in good shape? Does a WDH (weight distributing hitch) come with the purchase? You'll need one.

Toilet work as it should? Windows open and close properly? Furniture and beds in good shape? Floor squeak/ is spongy? Water stains on ceiling? Water pump works? (fill fresh water tank and check it out).

If there are screws going into the walls holding curtain brackets in place, remove them and look for rust. If rusty, water has leaked into walls.

Check brake condition. Check wheel bearing condition, and whether they are lubed properly.

There are a lot of things to know about a trailer in order to keep in good shape. Just be cautious with your purchase.

Have you checked out new prices, and how they compare to the price of the one you're looking at buying?

And lastly, does the seller seem to be trustworthy?

That's all I can think of, except... I agree with the above comments that for a family of 6, a 19BH is pretty small, unless you just want it for sleeping quarters. On a rainy day it might be a little too cozy. I'm living in a 26BH by myself and it's just barely enough room for me.
SmokerBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 11:28 PM   #10

Anything you don't check will probably cost you money. Be sure the holding tanks don't leak and put the awning out. Turn on the pump and shut off all faucets and see if the pump runs intermittently. That could mean a leaky water line.
Life in the slow lane is still life.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 11:38 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kellys View Post
X3 Kelly is right on the money, this unit will be tight quarters for your family. Before you buy it have your family stay in it for a good hour or so. Visit one with a slide out to feel the extra elbow room you'll have.
Tunce the traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 07:42 PM   #12

If your not in a rush..as soon as Labor Day is over Craigslist will full of great used campers.
Ustabslim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 08:47 PM   #13

Just be cautious on craigslist a freind got taken trying to buy an rv good luck
2006 JAYCO JAY FEATHER 23B EXP
EQUILIZER HITCH
Kellys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 09:06 PM   #14

You have to be careful where ever you find adds. Local paper, eBay, Craigslist, green sheet etc. You don't transfer funds until you can verify title and do your due diligence. Craigslist is where America shops now.
Ustabslim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 05:15 AM   #15

I agree, try to stay local. I had a person try to tell me to give them the money and that they will payoff the loan and sign it over to me in 3 weeks. Just be careful, there are great deals out there.
fourshermans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 08:53 AM   #16

Crawl underneath to check for leaks or damp spots. With the deals out there on new trailers and writing it off on go new!
Meadows11 is offline   Reply With Quote