Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-06-2015, 09:36 AM   #1

Cabinet / refer storage while towing

So we're planning a trip from OK up through Raton,NM and in to Buena Vista, CO via pikes peak.

How do you guys fill up cabinets and the refer during travel? I know it gets bumpy inside the trailer during towing and I don't want to damage anything. Same goes for the storage under the queen and bunk beds. The hot water tank and plumbing are under the bunk and I've been scared to put anything down there during travel for fear of damaging something.
Oobray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 11:27 AM   #2

DON'T do like Lucy did in The Long, Long Trailer! I was advised to store heavy things lower so IF the cabinet opens, it doesn't have far to fall. Also, putting paper towel and TP rolls here-and-there helps fill space and restrict movement. I also have mini-bungees through cabinet handles where it makes sense. In the Loo because the vanity was always a mess after driving, we got a GREAT storage unit (didn't install casters) and just lay it on the floor with towels to keep it in its location. We're also big on storage boxes to keep things in their places.

Genealogy Community Social Group Moderator
Hattie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 11:50 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oobray View Post
So we're planning a trip from OK up through Raton,NM and in to Buena Vista, CO via pikes peak.

How do you guys fill up cabinets and the refer during travel? I know it gets bumpy inside the trailer during towing and I don't want to damage anything. Same goes for the storage under the queen and bunk beds. The hot water tank and plumbing are under the bunk and I've been scared to put anything down there during travel for fear of damaging something.
My experience towing TT, is that there is little harsh movement from side to side so things usually don't side sideways into one another. Panic braking will slide things forward, however.

TTs have lots of vertical bouncing/vibration. Most cabinets have THIN bottoms. Heavy items will break the bottom. Another reason to put heavy items (canned goods, liquid bottles, etc.) on the floor.

The TT ride is usually harsher in back of the trailer. Rear kitchen/bedroom units often (not always) report problems with items being bounced around.

Those are the things we keep in mind when packing up our TT.

Don't be scared. Just use caution and you should be fine.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 12:42 PM   #4

I always store food in my microwave and oven for travel. great use of space. and agree with the panic break. Last trip I was on, a truck with a smashed rear fender cut me off. I honked so he decided to slam on his brakes. Luckily I was able to stop but I did let him know what I thought of him with my fingers. Yes both. I am guessing he was trying to get his truck repaired with my insurance. Love my trailer brakes
chrismoore701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 01:09 PM   #5

Heavy stuff on the bottom. Anything that can bounce, make sure it can't push a cabinet door open. It's pretty much that simple.

We've traveled all over the country and once in while you'll hit a bump of some odd thing will happen that will cause something to fly out of a cabinet. But on the whole, things will just stay put unless you're off roading on a dirt road with pot holes.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 01:28 PM   #6

My wife was pleasantly surprised on our last trip. Nothing moved. Cups and tumblers were perfect.
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH & B&W Companion
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 06:35 PM   #7

We use fabric totes to store lighter things in upper cabinets -- that way you can pull them down to get things as you need them. I use tension bars in the pantry to keep things from banging into the door and like everyone said, heavy stuff goes on the bottom. I don't like to store anything where there are pipes or hoses, etc. but I do store some things under the kitchen sink inside a plastic tote. We put our folded clothes into dishpans to store above the bed.
Old 07-08-2015, 12:35 PM   #8

We do for long trips and I have not had a problem. Like others have stated, heavy items on the bottom and items will shift and fall out when you open the doors. We use clear plastic totes to hold items in the pantry.
crtc_01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 12:51 PM   #9

Heavy things low.
Nothing fragile. Tie down anything that might get damaged if it slides because of a sudden stop.
I drop the soap dispensers, dishwashing liquid and shampoo bottles into the sinks.
Soft items tend to stay on the beds
Make sure all fridge items are sealed tight. Something will fall out the first time you open the door. (Bruised toes are really unpleasant.)
When setting up, put the microwave turntable back in place.

Sitting in The Cheap Seats.
And proud of it!
mike837go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 01:57 PM   #10

depends on what is where. In the lower hatches, I use computer paper box lids to keep things from rolling around. I place small items in places around large items to fill the space so things cannot shift around. But in reality I do not accelerate very quickly so nothing really moves much. In the wardrobe, I use fabric totes to put our cloths in. In the pantry, fill it as needed, then I adjust the items to fill the shelf. That might mean, take a box and lay it on its side. Then what we get to our destination always open the cabinets and frig slowly, and expect something to want to fall. The frig is probably the worst for this. In the other cabinets, I never have much issue with things breaking or falling. my overhead cabinets that hold my dishes they are all plastic, and I do not try anymore to organize them any more as they are all stirred up and by the time we get to camp, and nothing falls out.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 02:11 PM   #11

We put those anti-skid mats in every shelf and that helps alot. Mugs and slippery items go in bins and the mats keep the bins in place.
Old 07-08-2015, 03:05 PM   #12

We do what most have suggested. Anti-skid pads, Tension rods in the Cabinets & Frig. Fill in open areas with softer items to prevent shifting. Heavy items near bottom.

015 Ford F250 Lariat SD
2015 Jayco WhiteHawk 27DSRL (Sold)
2017 KZ Durango D281RLT.
RSerendipity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 03:10 PM   #13

So along these lines, I'm trying to pack the rear outside storage compartment. I'm wanting to put all the outside stuff in there. Coleman stove, folding table, chairs etc. but what worries me is that the water heater and plumbing are in there. I imagine it wouldn't take too much force from a 20lb folding table to damage the plumbing!!

TT: 2015 264BHW, axles flipped
Oobray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 04:04 PM   #14

Our water heater is also in the outside storage compartment, under the bed. However, ours is enclosed in a wooden "box" that protects it from everything around it.