Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-13-2016, 12:41 PM   #1

Cable TV Hook-Up

Have 2013 JayFlight 22FB. On first lengthy trip.
Am getting nothing via the cable exterior plug-in. From post wired directly to TV all works fine. Following all of the steps (antenna turned off, jumper in place, etc.)
So, am a somewhat certain that the wired cable coax (from exterior through to the opposite side antenna bank) is broken or whatever.

Have no idea how the coax is run (through ceiling, under floor, etc).
Any help here on the fix and how to access?

Many thanks.....
frjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 01:04 PM   #2

Jumper? What jumper?

I doubt that you have a broken coax cable. Most likely a loose connection on the back side of the jack on the outside of your rig or on the backside of the box inside. I would start by removing the wall plate inside and checking the coax connections there.
Pull Rite SuperGlide #4100 Hitch w/Mor-Ryde Pin Box
dalebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 02:51 PM   #3

All seems in order by your description. For park cable the A-B jumper should be in place and the power button on the antenna plate should be in the off position with no indicator light showing. I would have to agree with daleba on your first course of action...remove the interior plates and check all of the connection points on the back to see if something has come loose. Not entirely sure what you mean by "first lengthy trip". If this is a new to you trailer and you have not used this connection before, you may want to ohm out the wires for continuity. The previous owner may have swapped up connections on the back of the jumper plate for some unknown reason. If this is a TT you have had for some time and the problem is just arising, I would think it's going to come down to a connection problem.

May the Mods grant me the serenity to accept the opinions of those I cannot change,
the courage to offer valid input to those who are open to another way of thinking,
and the wisdom to shut myself down whenever I get too in love with my own misconceived brilliance.
SparkDr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 03:14 PM   #4

Cable

Quote:
Originally Posted by frjeff View Post
Have 2013 JayFlight 22FB. On first lengthy trip.
Am getting nothing via the cable exterior plug-in. From post wired directly to TV all works fine. Following all of the steps (antenna turned off, jumper in place, etc.)
So, am a somewhat certain that the wired cable coax (from exterior through to the opposite side antenna bank) is broken or whatever.

Have no idea how the coax is run (through ceiling, under floor, etc).
Any help here on the fix and how to access?

Many thanks.....
New to us and this is the first week of an extended trip. All steps taken as you indicate. Just checked interior box and all is well there. Will wait to check outside until I pick up some caulk.
Old 01-13-2016, 03:24 PM   #5

Don't forget to check the cable used from the wall plate to the TV in the process. I'd hate to see you chasing your tail for nothing checking all of these other wires when that may be the culprit.

May the Mods grant me the serenity to accept the opinions of those I cannot change,
the courage to offer valid input to those who are open to another way of thinking,
and the wisdom to shut myself down whenever I get too in love with my own misconceived brilliance.
Old 01-13-2016, 03:41 PM   #6

Coax

Quote:
Originally Posted by SparkDr View Post
Don't forget to check the cable used from the wall plate to the TV in the process. I'd hate to see you chasing your tail for nothing checking all of these other wires when that may be the culprit.
The wall to tv cable works fine on antenna. Pre3sume it is also good for cable?
Old 01-13-2016, 04:29 PM   #7

If you get a pic when using the antenna then the problem is likely between the antenna/cable box and the outside connector. If you don't get a picture when using the antenna then I would suspect the antenna box to the Tele and possibly multiple problems.
Since you can get to the back side of the antenna box you could try disconnecting the cable feed from it and connecting a known good cable to the cable feed using a male-male connector and then on to the Tele (taking the antenna box out of the equation). That would verify the outside connection to the antenna box.

Oops, looks like we were posting at about the same time. Given that you get a pic when on antenna then the box to outside connector is likely the issue. It is also possible that the antenna box could be the culprit. Take the box out of the picture by using the male-male connector I was describing above.

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 04:44 PM   #8

Cable should be fine for either application. RG6 cable is the preferred standard nowadays. Most of us have some older RG59 stuff laying around from days gone by that we still use. Either should work well enough for a park cable feed. Looks like you're going to have to pull apart the outside connection and check for a loose connection on the back.

Old 01-13-2016, 06:10 PM   #9
Site Team

Quick question,
Did you change the TV setting in the setup menu from TV to cable and do the automatic channel search?
Don
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 06:36 PM   #10

Scan, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang65 View Post
Quick question,
Did you change the TV setting in the setup menu from TV to cable and do the automatic channel search?
Don

Yes, all works perfectly if I run cable direct to the TV from the park hookup post.
Old 01-13-2016, 06:55 PM   #11

On the TV PANEL is a push button. Be sure you press the push button OFF (NO LIGHT ON) when watching TV from the pedestal cable TV side...

The light has to be ON when you are using the roof TV antenna...

That will most likely solve your problem...
RETIRED DOD DOAF DON CONTRACTOR Electronics Tech 42YRS

"We're burning daylight" - John Wayne
2008 STARCRAFT 14RT OFF-ROAD POPUP with PD9260C and three 85AH 12VDC batteries
2010 F150 FX4 5.4 GAS with 3.73 gears - Super Cab - Towing Package - 2KW Honda EU2000i Gen
K9PHT (since 1957) 146.52Mhz
"We always have a PLAN B"
RoyBraddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 07:08 PM   #12
Site Team

If you are near a Walmart or Radio Shack (if there is still one around), pick up a male/male coax adapter.
- Pull out the cable face plate by the entertainment center and disconnect the cable that comes directly from the outside cable connection.
- Disconnect the Tv coax cable from the signal splitter.
- Connect the cable from the outside cable hookup to the male/male connector and the Tv to the male/male connector. This will bypass any of the media center cables/splitters.

If you get the cable stations your problem lies somewhere in the cables/or splitters in the media center.

Another way to check the coax cable is to get a volt ohm meter and set it on ohms or if you have the option like mine a continuity buzzer.

- Check the cable to see if it is open or shorted using the ohms or buzzer setting.
- If you are getting a short, the cable is bad.. Maybe they put a staple or nail through it some where along the line.

- If you are getting an open condition, have someone short the outside cable connector (use a paperclip to short the center to the threads on the connector) You should see your open go to a shorted condition. That pretty much means your cable is good, and you will need to check in the media center wiring/splitters. If you do not see a short, the coax may have been cut or is not connected at the entry point. The correct way of testing the cable for a short or open is by putting on a 75 ohm termination cap at one end of the coax and getting a resistance reading of 75 ohms at the distant end, but who keeps a 75 ohm termination cap other than me...

Good Luck,

Don
Attached Thumbnails
TV - 75 ohm termination resistor.jpg  
Old 01-14-2016, 10:49 AM   #13

TV

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHorse1 View Post
If you get a pic when using the antenna then the problem is likely between the antenna/cable box and the outside connector. If you don't get a picture when using the antenna then I would suspect the antenna box to the Tele and possibly multiple problems.
Since you can get to the back side of the antenna box you could try disconnecting the cable feed from it and connecting a known good cable to the cable feed using a male-male connector and then on to the Tele (taking the antenna box out of the equation). That would verify the outside connection to the antenna box.

Oops, looks like we were posting at about the same time. Given that you get a pic when on antenna then the box to outside connector is likely the issue. It is also possible that the antenna box could be the culprit. Take the box out of the picture by using the male-male connector I was describing above.
Pulled the tv antenna box to attempt your suggested test.
However, there are three coax lines connected to the back of the panel. I have no idea which is the cable feed from the exterior hook up. Idea?
Old 01-14-2016, 11:05 AM   #14

The line from the outside of the camper usually goes to the center connector.

Old 01-14-2016, 11:56 AM   #15
Site Team

Put the Tv (using antenna) on and disconnect one at a time and that will tell you which one goes to the Tv antenna. You should be able to see which one goes to the Tv.
Don
Old 01-16-2016, 09:13 AM   #16

Progress

OK, by process of elimination was able to determine which of the three coax cables at the tv panel was the cable feed from outside of the trailer.Have perfect cable when I connected it directly to the tv.
So, that would tell me that the problem is in the tv panel. Think that replacement or fix will be an rv shop.
But, now at least I do not have to run cable from outside through a window!
Old 01-16-2016, 10:54 AM   #17

"Technically" that cable runs to the "B" port on the jumper plate but that does say
that the problem is likely that antenna booster setup, not the wiring.

What you can do to make it a little cleaner until you replace that booster, is just connect the television to the "A" port. This is the direct link to the outside jack. This way you can put everything back together again.

Last page of this document has a simple drawing: http://www.nylyon.com/JaycoTVHookup.pdf
nylyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 04:20 PM   #18
Site Team

Here are some wiring diagrams that may help.

Don
Attached Thumbnails
Tv - Antenna-Cable Connections - Example 1.jpg   Tv - Antenna-Cable Connections - Example 2.jpg   Tv - Antenna-Cable Connections - Example 3.jpg   Tv - Antenna-Cable Connections - Operation.jpg  
Old 01-16-2016, 04:25 PM   #19

Incredible Friend Help

All of you get a tip of my hat!Priceless assistance and detailed input.
This forum is a blessing because of folks like each of you!
My gratitude!
Old 01-23-2016, 10:34 PM   #20

Run the cable from the outside hook up on your trailer and into your TV, if the TV works you know the connector on the trailer is good. I had a 23 FB and had the same problem, I found that Jayco had wired the TV connector plate inside the trailer wrong. I took it apart and found out which wires were suppose to go to the kitchen and which one was suppose to go to the bedroom and Jaycoi had swapped them

If you are born once you will die twice
If you are born twice you will die once
joe in calif is offline   Reply With Quote