Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-26-2019, 12:16 PM   #1

Cable TV Hookup Question

This has probably been answered in another post and probably sounds stupid, but I figure I'll ask anyways. I have yet to use the TV at a campground that provides cable TV. I've only ever used the antenna. Is there anything specific I need to do with the cabling after connecting to a site's cable? I see a short cable loop on the ceiling above the TV. Does that need to be disconnected? I'm traveling next week and plan to use the site's cable for the first time.

Thanks in advance!
mikehurl16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 12:31 PM   #2

Hi! I am not sure about your 22BHM, but on my 32BHDS, the button that provides the power to the over the air antenna, also acts a switch between routing either the cable input OR the over the air input to your TV. In my opinion, the information from Jayco isn't very clear on this.

So, if you want the cable from the park, make sure you leave that switch unpowered. I have no experience on using provided cable TV so I cant help there, I am sure other users will chime in.

I'm guessing at some places you will need an additional cable box, while others it isn't necessary. I would note some newer TVs dont have the tuner built into them.

Cheers[emoji482]
LawnFlamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 02:19 PM   #3

Just hook up your cable line from the outside box provided by the campground to your TT or MH and make sure the button is turned off that powers the ant. The cable loop you mention needs to stay just like it is.
Mike
mikegray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 02:27 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikegray View Post
Just hook up your cable line from the outside box provided by the campground to your TT or MH and make sure the button is turned off that powers the ant. The cable loop you mention needs to stay just like it is.
Mike
You'll also want to run a "channel scan". Instead of choosing "air", choose "cable". Unless the CG provides you a box, this will put you in business.

If they give you a box, you wire it in first in place of the "loop".

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 02:43 PM   #5

It depends on the campground, but the cable quality at virtually every one we’ve been at is mediocre. Almost always it is standard def. Our over-the-air reception with the boosted antenna gives us clear high-def reception, albeit only local stations. Just a forewarning.
😁 "If a man says he’ll fix something, he will. There’s no need to remind him every 6 months.
LuckyDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 02:58 PM   #6

There seems to be an inverse relationship between any campground's cable and their wifi service. Good cable? Lousy wifi. Good wifi? Terrible cable.
harryjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 03:43 PM   #7
Site Team

On the 22BHM, you will see 3 coax jacks as you look up at it from the front. Currently, the left and center jacks are connected together with a short cable. The right one is connected to the TV when using the antenna.

When you want to hook up to the cable tv, disconnect the short cable from the center jack and move the cable to the tv from the right jack and run it to the center one. The short cable will be left hanging from the left jack and the right one will be empty. This will allow your cable feed to the TV.

I can get you pictures when I get home if you need it.
2015 MB Sprinter 2500 Passenger 2.1L Diesel
2007 Ram 2500 4x4 Cummins 5.9L G56

Midnightmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 04:21 PM   #8

Mike, Just make sure you change your input on the TV menu from Antenna to the cable TV selection.
Old 06-26-2019, 05:30 PM   #9

Thanks so much! I thought it had something to do with that loop. I'll try it out Monday when we head out of town
Old 06-26-2019, 05:31 PM   #10

Thanks everyone for your input! Glad to have a great community to rely on!