Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-08-2015, 03:14 PM   #1

Camco Swivel Stik won't enter black tank

I have a Jayco Feather Ultralite x20e with a Thetford toilet and WESCO plumbing system. I bought a Camco RV Flexible Swivel Stik holding tank rinser to clean out our black water tank. However, there appears to be a metal beam running front to back just under the toilet preventing the Stik from entering the black tank. Anyone know whether it's possible to get the Stik into the tank and, if so, how to do it? Thanks much, John K.
John K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 08:05 PM   #2

John, I don't understand this post. Are you saying there is a metal beam that runs across the toilet closet flange? That seems like a design defect.

What I think you meant was you are trying to shove the wand into the tank from the dump valve.

The old fashioned non-flexible wand that I own is intended to be stuck down the commode and into the tank from ABOVE.
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew 4x4 Duramax
ctbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 08:30 PM   #3

Turn off the trailer water and place wand in commode, flush commode (open) turn water on, flush in side tank.
2000 F250SD SRW 7.3 LB Extended Cab Air Bags
2002 Western Star 4900EX 500 Detroit 13sp.
2014 Eagle 30.5BHLT (sold)
Edd505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 09:18 AM   #4

Sorry, ctbailey, about not being more clear about our problem. I wasn't trying to push the Stik into the outside pipe through which we empty the black tank. And I'm not exactly sure what the toilet closet flange is, even after reading online about it. Anyway, here it is: when I'm inside the bathroom that is inside our 2012 Jayco Feather Ultralite x20e, I open the toilet lid, press down on the foot pedal so the bottom opens up and I can see below the toilet although there is water that obscures much of what is there. I put the Stik down the toilet several inches and it clanks against something metal, possibly a beam that is positioned front to back. I tried finagling the Stik to the left and right to find an opening into the black tank without success. There must be an opening, of course. So I'm wondering whether there is some trick or maneuver to getting the Stik into the black tank? Thanks much.
Old 09-10-2015, 05:03 PM   #5

I think you need to shut off the water to the trailer and turn off the water pump. Get a flash light. Press the toilet pedal and look down the hole and see what you see. Don't drop the flash light and I suggest you turn off the bathroom exhaust fan while you do this.
Hohenwald48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 05:18 PM   #6

John, you're doing it right. There is no beam down there. You are likely clanging into the wall of the tank. The WORST CASE would be you are hitting the vent pipe that has fallen into the tank. A 2012 unit this would be very unlikely.

Maybe someone flushed a plastic fork. That could possibly bridge across the outlet, and catch debris.?

I wish we RVers had a cheap way of sending a lighted video camera down there. That would remove all doubt as to what you are feeling the sprayer hit.
Old 09-10-2015, 06:26 PM   #7

In response to Hohenwald48: The trailer's water and electricity are switched off, and have been for several weeks (so no chance of accidentally hitting the fan switch and getting a blast of the past in my face). I don't know why there is water below the toilet when I open the toilet lid and look down. I've used a flashlight but haven't been able to determine what this metal piece is that I'm hitting with the end of the Stik. I guess I'll write to Jayco and get their 2 cents worth. It's just so frustrating, isn't it?
Old 09-11-2015, 10:01 AM   #8

I'm not sure I understand. There is usually water in the tank. The toilet dumps directly into the tank. When you look thru the toilet you are looking directly into the tank. There is normally a bit of residual water in the bottom of the tank as it almost never drains completely when you dump the tank.

Is it possible you are simply hitting the bottom of the tank and thinking it's some kind of obstruction? On mine, from the flush valve in the bottom of the toilet to the bottom of the tank is only about a foot and a half if that much. The tank itself is only 6-8" deep.

It's actually pretty easy to disconnect the water from the toilet, remove the 2 closet bolts on either side of the toilet and remove the toilet if that would help. It only takes about 10 minutes to do that.
Old 09-11-2015, 10:45 AM   #9

I had the same issue. The Black Tank is not very deep so when you put in the wand, it almost immediately bottoms out. So to get around that I purchased a couple of the Camco Tornado Flushes. One for the Black and One for the Grey. They work great and are accessible from the outside. I will only flush from the inside now when winterizing to ensure a good thorough cleaning.
Tornado Permanent Tank Rinser with Remote Connection - Camco 40126 - Sewer Flushing - Camping World
Equalizer 10k WD, Prodigy P3 Controller, TST TPMS

2012 - Jayco Sport 10 Popup - Traded
Dagwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 10:57 AM   #10
Site Team

Maybe not on this model but mine and others have a 90 degree bend in the pipe before it enters the tank. I have to use a flexible wand and it not real effective.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 01:31 PM   #11

You know, I've never really understood all this black tank flushing anyway. I've had one RV or another for more than 20 years. We travelled for 8 years about 10 months per year. Had 6 or 7 different motorhomes and are now on our second travel trailer. I've never "flushed" a black or gray tank. I just use at least a half toilet bowl of water to flush, dump only when the black tank is 2/3 full, use the blue tank deodorizer and whatever paper is on sale at Sam's and I've never had an issue with clogs or smell.

I do try to dump as soon as we get to a full hook up site so everything is mixed up from travelling.
Old 09-11-2015, 01:41 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hohenwald48 View Post
I do try to dump as soon as we get to a full hook up site so everything is mixed up from travelling.
I think because you used your so much, nothing would have a chance to settle or harden up. Some, like myself only get out for a week or two or three and a time, then the TT sits for a month or two, or in my case, Winter storage. Nobody wants concrete piles to form.
Equalizer 10k WD, Prodigy P3 Controller, TST TPMS

2012 - Jayco Sport 10 Popup - Traded
Dagwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 02:10 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctbailey View Post
John, you're doing it right. There is no beam down there. You are likely clanging into the wall of the tank. The WORST CASE would be you are hitting the vent pipe that has fallen into the tank. A 2012 unit this would be very unlikely.

Maybe someone flushed a plastic fork. That could possibly bridge across the outlet, and catch debris.?

I wish we RVers had a cheap way of sending a lighted video camera down there. That would remove all doubt as to what you are feeling the sprayer hit.
89 bucks
Digital Inspection Camera
Digital Inspection Camera
Old 09-11-2015, 02:11 PM   #14

Edd... You the man! . I might be placing an order...
Old 09-11-2015, 02:17 PM   #15

Bought chasing down a pack rat that moved into a wall then used all the time to "look" in places I can't see.
Old 09-11-2015, 02:43 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagwood View Post
I think because you used your so much, nothing would have a chance to settle or harden up. Some, like myself only get out for a week or two or three and a time, then the TT sits for a month or two, or in my case, Winter storage. Nobody wants concrete piles to form.
Wouldn't a bit of water or antifreeze solve the drying out problem?
Old 09-13-2015, 05:50 PM   #17

UPDATE: I checked again, this time with a plumbing snake, and what I thought was a metal beam running under the toilet appears to be the bottom of the black water tank. I never would have guessed that, considering the diagrams I had seen previously. I used the snake to determine that the rest of the tank is to the right, which is where I will try again to direct the Swivel Stik rinser. I wrote to Camco, which produces the Stik, and all they did was recommend I buy something more expensive. I wrote to Jayco and have not heard back. I want to thank everyone who commented on this issue in the forum. From here on out, I'm going to try a mixture of the Stik and filling the tank for a few days before a trip and then dumping at the campground, with the hope that the drive there would have loosened the debris in the tank.
Old 09-14-2015, 05:40 PM   #18

UPDATE 2: Jayco responded to my email about how to use the Swivel Stik to clean the black water tank. Their response: Jayco recommends NOT using any kind of rinser device.
Old 09-15-2015, 06:39 AM   #19

I wonder why? Those kinds of answers are the kinds that make me crazy. They KNOW that sort of answer will beget a "why not?"
Old 09-15-2015, 07:30 AM   #20

A properly used black holding tank doesn't need a rinser device. Flush with enough water, don't allow the tank to dry out and dump when 2/3 or more full and you'll never have a problem. The rinser stick is just a gimmick to make a few bucks for Camco and others.

"Why not" is simple. It's just not necessary.

Tags
black, cleaner, rinser, swivel, tank