Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-09-2019, 08:53 AM   #1

Camera Install on 264BH

I ordered this camera system to put on the back of the camper.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

What is the best way to tap into power? Run a cable up to the hitch and connect directly to the trailer battery or tie into one of the plate lights somehow. (my trailer has Led lights so i'm not sure if you are even allowed to tap into power there.)

I want the camera on all the time when driving so I want it on something that is always powered on.

Thank you!
ggilbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 09:11 AM   #2

12v power is 12v power. You should be able to tap into any source behind a running light since you should be lights on while towing anyway. This also allows you to turn it on/off with the truck lights. You don’t want to stop for a meal, and have the camera draining your batteries while you’re eating/resting.
2x Honda 2K
NewBlackDak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 10:17 AM   #3

My camera taps into the running light circuit on the trailer so when the running lights are on there is power to the camera. Once you tap in and get power to the camera I would check that you're getting a strong enough signal to the monitor in the cabin of your tow vehicle before permanently mounting the camera.

2018 Jayco 28RLS
2012 F-250 6.2L 3.73
Equalizer Hitch
Yamaha 2400ISHC
2edgesword is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 10:51 AM   #4

any pictures or tips for making it a nice looking job.
Old 01-09-2019, 11:08 AM   #5

I agree with everyone else, my trailer was "pre-wired" for a camera and it came wired into the running lights. Acts as a reminder to turn on my lights when I start driving, if I forget the camera doesn't turn on. Doesn't drain the trailer battery that way if I forget to turn it off, just runs off the light circuit on the connector to my truck.

Many of the Jaycos come with loose wire in the wall attached to the center light at the back of the trailer for this purpose. Just pop the light out and there might already be one in there, you can search around the forum for some detailed install pictures from other people.

venoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 11:14 AM   #6

Here is a good post with pictures and info on other people's backup camera installations. Shows where the wires are located if you have a "pre-wired" setup and how to do connect if not.

"Pre wired for backup camera"
https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...era-36201.html

Good luck, and let us know how it goes!

venoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 11:40 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by venoran View Post
Here is a good post with pictures and info on other people's backup camera installations. Shows where the wires are located if you have a "pre-wired" setup and how to do connect if not.

"Pre wired for backup camera"
https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...era-36201.html

Good luck, and let us know how it goes!
the kit i ordered is a licence plate mounted model. have you seen any pictures of those neatly installed.

where the licence place is off to one side do you think i will have an Okay view or should i mount it to near those top running light's like the pictures in the link you shared.
Old 01-09-2019, 12:24 PM   #8

I can't answer your question but I have the LeeKooLuu camera model that hooks up to the top of the Rv. My Rv is pre wired for the furion but I just hooked into the wire that is already there and comes from the middle clearance light. My camera does everything I want it to do and is on when the running lights are on. Good luck with your installation.
Old 01-10-2019, 09:36 AM   #9

What is the best way to tap into the plate light power is there a connector that plugs into the light or do i need to use some kind of wire tap?

Click image for larger version

Name:	t-taps.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	88.0 KB
ID:	46517

Name:  tap 1.jpeg
Views: 58
Size:  4.0 KB