Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-10-2016, 11:56 AM   #1

Camouflaging Generators

I have 2 - Honda EU2000i generators that I use when running AC. I will be at the Indy 500 this year and NASCAR with our dog where we will want to be running AC while in the race. Figuring on 6 hours unattended. Does anyone camouflage, disguise or hide their generators and if so how?

They are bright and red and expensive so probably a target for theft.

I lock them up with a Brinks cable and Brinks lock, and have installed the steel handle toppers as an additional deterrent.

Maybe I am being over cautions, but I don't want to lose my investment.

Thanks
rtiedeken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 12:17 PM   #2

Go to Lockitt.com. Email them - the guy that runs that site is 100% A+ in his knowledge. He recommended a specific chain (that cable is a piece of junk) with a hasp loop for me to tie off the generators to a tree or undercarriage while still going under those re-inforced handles you installed. The chain would take a monumental effort and a lot of time to cut. He also sold me a high quality disc lock that fit the chain; this lock is special in that its a screamer lock meaning if the chain gets disturbed it starts a 10 second countdown before it starts wailing away.

Its a solid setup. Not theft proof though (nothing really is) but a big enough pain in the backside that a would be thief would either likely give up or move on to somebody else.

On the sidelines taking it all in.

Jopopsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 12:17 PM   #3

We've been to a lot of NASCAR races with the same twin Honda setup. Basic deterrence has always been sufficient - cables and padlocks, etc. I think you have less to worry about when they are running and you're away at the race. Most people are going to assume somebody's in the rig if the genny's are running and are even less likely to risk it. I'm always amazed at how many people actually never leave the RV lot to actually go into the track during the race. There will still be plenty of eyes on things in the RV lots to keep most people honest. Having said that, I take a few extra precautions just in case...I cable and padlock my coolers as well. I can't have anybody stealing my beer, you know? A tonneau cover on a tow rig is a great "out of sight, out of mind" option, too. There's always the option to cable and lock chairs, coolers, tables, etc to the truck bed anchors if I ever feel the need for additional security beyond the tonneau and locking tailgate.

May the Mods grant me the serenity to accept the opinions of those I cannot change,
the courage to offer valid input to those who are open to another way of thinking,
and the wisdom to shut myself down whenever I get too in love with my own misconceived brilliance.
SparkDr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 12:23 PM   #4

As a rule we don't leave ours out when not there, however your dog does present a challenge as AC might be critical. I think a very stout cable and lock are your best defense in this case.

I have seen a very ingenious solution where someone bolted a steel plate to the bottom of their EU2000i that extended about 12"-16" beyond the actual front print of the generator. Then they back the TT wheels onto the plate so that the generator could not be moved without moving the trailer or trailer tires. If I was going to regularly leave out my generator, especially at a place like the race track where tools are easily available, I would use the steel plate and tire option over a cable.

I'll see if I can find the picture and post it.
2012 Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 02:18 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by clubhouse View Post
As a rule we don't leave ours out when not there, however your dog does present a challenge as AC might be critical. I think a very stout cable and lock are your best defense in this case.

I have seen a very ingenious solution where someone bolted a steel plate to the bottom of their EU2000i that extended about 12"-16" beyond the actual front print of the generator. Then they back the TT wheels onto the plate so that the generator could not be moved without moving the trailer or trailer tires. If I was going to regularly leave out my generator, especially at a place like the race track where tools are easily available, I would use the steel plate and tire option over a cable.

I'll see if I can find the picture and post it.
Wouldn't it be pretty simple and quick to just jack the axle and pull out the generator? On a lot of trailers you could probably do it using the tongue jack if there are rear stabilizers down. Especially if the plate is under the front axle.
Hohenwald48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 02:51 PM   #6

Another thing you can do is spray paint a few very bright strips on then in a particular pattern. Friend does this for his roofing company, a repeating pattern of yellow pink and green. He can see his tools from a distance.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 03:16 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hohenwald48 View Post
Wouldn't it be pretty simple and quick to just jack the axle and pull out the generator? On a lot of trailers you could probably do it using the tongue jack if there are rear stabilizers down. Especially if the plate is under the front axle.
Nothing is perfect. But that would take more time and larger tools than the hand held battery operated grinder that was used to cut through my buddies cable in a matter of a couple seconds.
2012 Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 03:53 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by SparkDr View Post
I'm always amazed at how many people actually never leave the RV lot to actually go into the track during the race. .
I am one of those people. Last time I actually went into the race, I fell asleep in the stands by lap 50, I just can't handle how boring it is.

My wife loves it though (happy wife happy life after all, plus I don't let her drive my truck)

As for my generator, I chain it around an axle or the bumper. I figure if someone is going to steal a generator it will be the nice quiet Honda 2000 my neighbor is running, not my Champion 3100W.

Force is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 04:00 PM   #9

Send a message via Skype™ to ALJO
Force: agree with your statement. Just have a simple deterrent for your possessions.
If the thief's really want something they will get it. On big events they usually have security but a few things will fall through the cracks. On campgrounds usual other campers will look out for one another.
Pro Series 1200 lbs. WDH with Double Sway Bar.
Champion 3100/2800 watt Inverter/Generator-Onboard Solar Power
ALJO is offline   Reply With Quote