Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-12-2017, 05:11 PM   #41
Site Team

Good info.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 05:55 PM   #42

Camper power cable melting

Check this out...I don't even secure it to the pole! I figure,what the hell is a small cable going to do? Good people won't take it, and a small cable won't stop the ones that want it. If I have to keep the "honest people honest" then they need it more than I do.
Spur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 06:19 PM   #43
Site Team

I use the provided hasp on mine and lock it to the power pedestal.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0596.jpg  
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 06:36 PM   #44

Alright...I'll do that going forward! I have about 5 locks that have no purpose just sitting in my TT. I don't think that the pedestals that I've come across have had that hole. Maybe I'm just that stupid? Thanks norty!
Old 07-12-2017, 07:14 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by southco View Post
why? I always run the water heater on electric and run the a/c... I never turn either off while camping when it's warm.

From reading that wasn't the op's issue...
x2 here also!

2012 Ford Expedition EL
2016 28BHBE, Elite and Thermal Packages.
Equal-i-zer 4-point Sway Control, Southwire 34930 Surge Guard 30A, Tire Minder TPMS A1A
(2) Yamaha EF2000iS Generators, Micro-Air EasyStart™ 364 (3-ton) Soft Start, Garmin RV 890, GoodYear Endurance ST225/75-15 Load Range E
RAurand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 06:37 AM   #46

Lots of good comments! Here is my $0.03:
If you aren't comfortable with electrical jobs, then it's not DIY.
If you are often using the extension cord, and now have to replace the hard-wired cord, consider getting a longer one. Not having an extension would mean "one less connection to worry about".
AncasterDuo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 08:02 AM   #47

I have another dumb question. Why do people have extension cords? I've never come close to needing one. I guess there are sites where the pedestal is far away?
Old 07-13-2017, 08:35 AM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spur View Post
I have another dumb question. Why do people have extension cords? I've never come close to needing one. I guess there are sites where the pedestal is far away?
Depends on the campsite and other factors. For us the original 25' cable is about 2' too short to reach the generator when mounted on the tongue of the camper.
Old 07-13-2017, 08:37 AM   #49

Quote:
We recently camped at a state park and each pedestal serviced 4 sites, I ran out my cord and came up 18 feet short. I could not move closer due to trees and a big fire pit, so off to the trailer supply for a 25 foot extension cord, $50 bucks later we had power. This is the first time I ever needed more cord and probably won't run into this again for a long time but now I am covered.
Sundancer330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 08:40 AM   #50

Here are a few pics of my install of the PI surge protector EMS in my Jayfeather 23RLSW.

Changed out the park bench jackknife sofa with a loveseat recliner, added the PI unit with remote display and converted the power cord to a detachable one all at the same time.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0575.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	99.6 KB
ID:	33112

Name:	DSCN1105.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	95.0 KB
ID:	33113

Name:	DSCN1112.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	90.0 KB
ID:	33114

Name:	DSCN1119.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	106.2 KB
ID:	33115

Name:	DSCN1126.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	103.5 KB
ID:	33116
Wireman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 09:10 AM   #51

Well that doesn't look too difficult. It looks like there are just four cables going into the original metal thing (junction box?). So all you need to do is disconnect those four and then connect them to the EMS. Surely it's more difficult than that?

I like the recliner btw.
Old 07-13-2017, 09:25 AM   #52

Quote:
Well that doesn't look too difficult. It looks like there are just four cables going into the original metal thing (junction box?). So all you need to do is disconnect those four and then connect them to the EMS. Surely it's more difficult than that?

I like the recliner btw.

Pretty much it. Your floorplan will dictate how and where it's wired. With junction box located behind the couch it made it easy to replace.
Wireman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 09:32 AM   #53

Why carry a 30a extension cord?

It's not uncommon (in State, Federal and County parks) for the water/sewer to be quite a distance from the electrical pedestal. When that happens, I choose to use my short sewer hose, and short fresh water hose... and run the extension cord to the pedestal.

Just easier for me to do it that way.

JMHO
2 Bluetick Hounds
1 Newfoundland
1 Newfoundland / Black Lab Mix
1 Cairn Terrier
The Logans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 09:39 AM   #54

Sometimes, they just manufacture a bad plug.
I had one do the same as OP. Replaced the male end, never had another issue.
Vaquero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 09:39 AM   #55

Quote:

I like the recliner btw.
Its very easy to install the Progressive EMS, here is the install video from Progressive.

https://youtu.be/ddUamK3wnow
Sundancer330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 09:55 AM   #56

Quote:

I like the recliner btw.
No, there isn't much to it.

I didn't take photos but my install is like this.

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...tml#post568251

Don't get scared of all the wires in that photo as 99% have nothing to do with the install.

I went to the hardware store and picked up a small roll of 10 gauge romex. It might have been a 10 or 20' roll. The smallest I could find as I didn't need much. Then got two male and two female 30A twist lock plugs.

I started by wiring up the Progressive Industries EMS and putting the ends on the wire. So in the comfort of my shop, cut off 1' of the romex roll for going into the EMS and another 1' coming out. The directions on how to wire it are very good and there are YouTube videos. The male plug goes on the wire that is the input side of the EMS. The same is done for the output but it gets the female plug. You don't want to expose the prongs on anything that could be hot. Then I went to the camper.

You have to find an install location. It most likely will make sense to install it near the junction box if there is room but every model is different. For mine the junction box is under the rear bunk next to the water heater. Lots of room to spare. I also eliminated the mouse hole and installed a twist lock port on the outside of our camper since I was messing with this. If not doing this I would have made sure the camper wasn't plugged in. You can just cut the Romex coming out of the junction box then wire in a female plug on the wire coming out of the junction box and a male plug on the wire going to the converter. Then screw down the EMS box somewhere near where you installed your plugs. Then hook up the twist locks. If you are concerned about them un-twisting, you can put some tape around them and you are done. If you got the one with the remote display like I got, you need to find a place to mount the display and route the cable which could be a pain. It uses a telephone cable that is about 10' long. My first choice was to mount it to the wall next to the thermostat but I had no way to get the wire there. So I mounted it in the outdoor kitchen. I like it here better because if I am looking at it or messing with the bypass it is likely during hookup.

If I sell the camper or need to pull it for some reason. I just shift the mattress over, lift the access panel out to get to the water heater bypass and the EMS is right there. I can disconnect the twist locks from the EMS and hook them together bypassing it. This requires no tools or I need a screw gun to unscrew the EMS box if taking it out. It would take longer to pull the telephone cable to the remote display than it would take to remove the EMS.

I do get that it is more work than the portable ones but you do it once and never have to drag it out of storage again. Many people have the portable ones and are completely happy with them. I would recommend a portable over a hardwired one if hardwiring was not an option and that means you go portable or nothing. If you are terrified of electricity then by all means go portable. If you can figure out how to replace a melted plug on a power cord and extension cable you can install a hardwired EMS. Afterall that is all I did. I put twist lock plugs on Romex wires and fished a telephone cable for the remote display.
Old 07-13-2017, 09:55 AM   #57

I can do that! Thanks for the video.
Old 07-13-2017, 10:02 AM   #58

Quote:
Hell, I can do that! Thanks for the video.
It isn't hard at all. Like I said, if you can install the plugs on the end of the wire that is 80% of the job. I would say the hardest part is going to be trying to figure out where to install it.

Also just to throw this out there. Let say you already had a portable one. You couldn't use twist locks but there is no reason you couldn't use regular 30A or 50A plugs rather than twist locks and install a portable one in the camper the same way.
Old 07-07-2018, 10:29 PM   #59

Where do you find a surge guard? We have never had a problem but I do not want one either.
Chet & Marie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 11:34 PM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chet & Marie View Post
Where do you find a surge guard? We have never had a problem but I do not want one either.
You actually may have had a problem and not be aware of it. As others have mention high and low voltage can do damage to electronics and that damage may not be immediately apparent. Beyond that the potential problem that can cause catastrophic and very expense damage can come with no warning. In my mind a few hundred dollars for an EMS is worth the peace of mind. I also like the fact that you can monitor the different loads on the electrical system as your using different devices. Overtime you’ll learn what is normal, when something is not right and might be an indication of a pending failure.
2edgesword is offline   Reply With Quote