Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-13-2018, 08:29 AM   #1

Camping with dogs?

Hi all,

Wondering if anyone has any advice about camping with dogs. We have just brought home a boxer puppy and hope to bring her camping this summer. She is 11 weeks now and will be about 6 months by our first trip. The biggest issue I see is that we are crate training her, and I don't believe her crate will fit in our SLX 212QBW.

Wondering if anyone else has ran into this issue and how you were able to get around it?
Upstater88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 08:40 AM   #2

We bought a soft sided crate for our trailer when our dog was younger. While it takes up just as much space when being used it can be folded down and out of the way when not.
You might think about where else you could keep her during that time without a crate for example between the bed side and the outside wall just fashion a block off and then you can make it as small as you need to (not familiar with the trailer) or perhaps you can rig something up in the bathroom or even the shower
barryg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 08:55 AM   #3

We are boxer family. Not sure if you have had a boxer before, if not let me say after he/she turns 2 it will be the best dog you’ve had. Until then you will need to summons some serious patience.

As for camping, we take ours 90% of the time and bring the crate along. The crate stays outside during the day, if we leave for a bit and dog doesn’t come it just fits on the floor inside the door. At night, we take down the table and it’s fits in that space.

Our current boxer, we’ve had 2 previous over the previous 17 years, is 1.5 years. It appears he is follow the same track as our previous which means sometime between 2-3 years the crate will become unnecessary other than riding in the back of my pickup. By 2-3 years we have been able to trust the dogs to be out when we are gone (home and in TT), as well they develop enough confidence to be out and not panic when we aren’t around.
2012 Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 08:57 AM   #4

Maybe modify a area somewhere for a crate. And my advice is to watch the wall and floor with a puppy. Our puppy tore our floor to pieces and damaged our wall in the class A. That wasn't cheap to fix. They can get their paw in between a wire crate if that's what you use. That's when we went with a rubber shop mat under the crate and installed a divider on the wall. No problem after that.

2014 Ram Dually 6.7 Diesel
2016 North Point 375BHFS
shadester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 09:04 AM   #5

Never found a need for a crate after the first phase of potty training. When Tunce first walked in the trailer I asked her to just pick a spot so she would be comfortable and she did. We just go with the flow and everything works out just fine.
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Old 03-13-2018, 09:08 AM   #6

We have a 19RD which is the same as your TT except for the bedroom area. We use a soft sided collapsing crate that we store behind the couch when it in use. At night we put it in front of the stove with the back facing the dinette back and the front facing the bed area. It fits there well. It still allows for us to move around.
Old 03-13-2018, 09:29 AM   #7

Our late beagle loved to travel. At first we crated her but after some experience we found she was happy to nap while we were gone on her mat, day or night.
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 09:43 AM   #8

We have 3 dogs and typically take at least two of them with us as the older Weimaraner is pretty old, has trouble getting in the rig and is nervous the entire time. The other two love it. We bring along fold-able soft sided crates for when we are not around, as others have mentioned.

One of them usually stays under the dinette table when we are moving and the smaller one has a dog bed between our seats up front. Works out for now. With a puppy, you are going to want to restrict movements I would think until you get potty trained. Good luck, trips are always more fun with your dog family members along.
Attached Thumbnails
078.jpg  
Dallas/Ft. Worth, TX
--
Click_here is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 10:15 AM   #9

Oh, yes we camp with (and sleep with) dogs!

We started early with getting them used to be in the motorhome (parked next to the house). We would put them in the motorhome, and then lurk outside and wait for bad behavior, then rush into the motorhome with a can holding several pennies. Toss that near the fur baby, and after a few times, the bad stuff stopped.

The main thing that solved problems (barking, boredom chewing, etc.), was never taking just one dog. With two or more, they play together, comfort each other, and, basically, just hang out together.

We have 5, so we rotate who goes....
2 Bluetick Hounds
1 Newfoundland
1 Newfoundland / Black Lab Mix
1 Cairn Terrier
The Logans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 10:41 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by clubhouse View Post
We are boxer family. Not sure if you have had a boxer before, if not let me say after he/she turns 2 it will be the best dog you’ve had. Until then you will need to summons some serious patience.

As for camping, we take ours 90% of the time and bring the crate along. The crate stays outside during the day, if we leave for a bit and dog doesn’t come it just fits on the floor inside the door. At night, we take down the table and it’s fits in that space.

Our current boxer, we’ve had 2 previous over the previous 17 years, is 1.5 years. It appears he is follow the same track as our previous which means sometime between 2-3 years the crate will become unnecessary other than riding in the back of my pickup. By 2-3 years we have been able to trust the dogs to be out when we are gone (home and in TT), as well they develop enough confidence to be out and not panic when we aren’t around.
Great advice, thanks! Definitely learning the serious patience part of it haha. I like the idea of between the table also
Old 03-13-2018, 10:43 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebKen View Post
We have a 19RD which is the same as your TT except for the bedroom area. We use a soft sided collapsing crate that we store behind the couch when it in use. At night we put it in front of the stove with the back facing the dinette back and the front facing the bed area. It fits there well. It still allows for us to move around.
Great thanks! I didn't think about putting the crate there, but seems like that would work also
Old 03-13-2018, 11:23 AM   #12
Site Team

We always take our 2 everywhere. They love camping and staying in the rig for several hours alone. The smaller puppy chewed a few small places that I covered with brass corner pieces. Once potty trained they are no longer in crates. Our oldest tore up the soft sided crate the first time we left her in it.

Now they have staked out our recliners and sit on the backs to view birds and squirrels. I guess we are lucky, they don't bark unless someone strange comes in the door.

They are Jack Russel mixes. One half Yorkie, the other half beagle. Both around 18 lbs.
Attached Thumbnails
228F867A-ED73-4240-9383-D9A97FE6569D.jpg   B8A29D05-8B2F-4F5A-B3B5-4A017D6D5168.jpeg  
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 11:50 AM   #13

Our two travel with us every trip. We found our pup originally preferred to stay in his kennel at night but when we put his cushion under the table, he moved right in. Both our older dog (14y German Shorthair/Chocolate Lab who is willing to allow us to share the queen bed with her) and the pup (2y abandoned when found at 5 weeks) love laying under the table and being able to watch out the dining area window when inside during the day.

Our only problem (?), when I'm working in the trailer (cleaning, mods, etc), with the door is open, and they go outside the house, they head right in and make themselves at home.

Some suggestions:

I had a sheet of Plexiglas cut to fit to the rails on the inside of the screen door to protect the screen. Measure the width and add about 3/8" so the Plexiglas will fit (and stay) by sliding and flexing into the rails on inside of the screen. Our pup has a habit of pawing at the door to let us know he wants out. We found it works at protecting the screen from his nails. I'm looking at screwing a similar piece on the lower outside screen, just as a precaution.

We found very helpful, get a boot tray to keep dog food and water dishes in. Help keep down spills and drips. The one we found fits perfectly along the rear wall between the bench seat and couch. And remember to empty the water dish BEFORE you move the trailer. I put that on the check list after using a towel to clean up on arrival at our next stop.

And carry a big beach towel for those times your dog get wet. Wipe him down outside under the awning. Also great to have if you have to bath him. First time you have a wet dog in the trailer, you will be glad you did.
ifallsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 02:01 PM   #14

We take our three big dogs everywhere... have been out for 4-months solid.

They are just fine where ever they are.
Attached Thumbnails
20171212_180631.jpg  
07 Toyota FJC & Yamaha Kodiak 400 ATV

SloPoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 04:31 PM   #15

Ours goes everywhere with us- had no issues with him in the Hummingbird and it’s even easier in the 23RL. He sleeps wherever he wants- but loves the dinette folded down, or in the bed with us.

2018 Jay Feather 23RL
2016 Dodge Durango

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
paggy00271 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 06:53 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tunce the traveler View Post
Never found a need for a crate after the first phase of potty training. When Tunce first walked in the trailer I asked her to just pick a spot so she would be comfortable and she did. We just go with the flow and everything works out just fine.
We started taking Ol' Roscoe with us last summer. My MIL lives with us and he always stayed home with Grandma who's not a a camper. But she had a little health scare one night and after that was afraid to stay home alone, so she started going to her other daughter's house when we were gone and Roscoe came with us.

I wasn't sure how he would do but I was pleasantly surprised. Like Tunce says, he came in the camper found his spot and that was that. My biggest fear was that every critter that came around at night would have him up and barking to no end. Again, that turned out to be no problem.

On our last trip last November, as I was loading up, he slipped out the door, climbed into the back seat of the truck and refused to move. He was going camping with us and nobody was going to stop him.
Attached Thumbnails
20170915_165321[1].jpg   20171007_155951[1].jpg  

Poking at a campfire with a stick is one of life's great satisfactions.

KCSA75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 06:59 PM   #17

I will post a few other things to keep in mind.
Not everyone loves your dogs as much as you do.
Not everyone enjoys listening to your dogs barking.
Please clean up after your dogs before leaving your camp site.
Keep in mind it only take's one inconsiderate pet owner to ruin it for all of us. Good luck.

Dave
Ultratravler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 08:13 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebKen View Post
We bought our SLX212 specifically so we could take the pooch and travel in retirement. He’s a smaller spaniel mix and sleeps in a crate at night. Like DebKen, at night we put it in front of the stove, facing the bedroom. During the day, it tucks nicely under the mattress overhang at the foot of the bed. Or out in the super cab part of the truck. He loves the trailer and we’ve found the couch is perfect for all three of us in the evening.
Attached Thumbnails
C7F4F3A7-5973-479D-A244-AFF6098BE16C.jpg  
😁 "If a man says he’ll fix something, he will. There’s no need to remind him every 6 months.
LuckyDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 08:25 PM   #19

I've been camping with dogs ever since I remember. The one thing I suggest is never make a big deal out of anything, when it comes to your dog -- within the bounds of acceptable canine behavior, that is. No matter what happens, act like it's normal, and soon the dog will realize that it's no big deal, it's just like at home, only different. Also, bring something of the dog's from home, a favorite blanket or a chew toy or something that they're familiar with and will provide them comfort. (Take my advice and leave the squeaky toys at home, or else the dog will decide that it's fun to play with at 5 a.m.)

Before leaving for the trip, bring the dog into the trailer while it's still at home and let them give everything a good sniff. Let them explore and discover the new space. What's behind this door? What's under there? This way, when you introduce them to it on the camping trip, they already have a frame of reference so they don't get as freaked out the first time. Let them find their place, even though it may not be right where you want them.

Dog behavior is based on what's familiar, so you want to control their exposure to it as gently as possible. Once they realize that this new experience is no big deal, they will settle right down. They may even get excited when they see you loading the trailer for the next trip, as they remember the fun they had.

2015 Jayco Jay Flight 24FBS
Winnipeg, Manitoba
North of 49° is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 08:55 PM   #20

We always take our dog, a 48 pound Border Collie, Australian Sheppard mix. We have trained the dog to sleep out of a crate. She loves the trailer and traveling with us. The one thing you must investigate are the rules in each campground and park you travel. For example, in Zion, they don't allow vehicles during most of the year and dogs cannot travel on the Tram. In most national parks you can take your dog along the paved roads, but cannot take them on any trails. In some of them, you cannot leave your dog alone in the trailer.
2019 Chevy express 2500 Van Coversion. 2017 Jayco 23MRB: 26' total and Glacier Package. 2 Renogy solar panels. Married 49 years. Haley the mutt, 4 years old. "Excited to learn new things everyday and humbled by those who offer to help." And very grateful to our Moderators!
travelingjw is offline   Reply With Quote