Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-15-2015, 07:17 PM   #21

Keystone is just like any other huge manufacturer. There will be a lot with issues, but a lot more with little to none. I have a Jayco on order to replace my current Keystone. I've had it for 5 years and had no issues with it.

jasoncw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 07:26 PM   #22

Actually had a Camping World near Harrisburg PA insist that I sign a purchase contract to "show them I was serious " before they would discuss price. They are crooks, I would not buy candy bar from them.
Old 08-15-2015, 07:40 PM   #23

I think you made the right choice. Hopefully you get the fuzzy feeling at the new dealer. Keystone is as good as any other in my opinion. I've never owned one, but probably would if it fit the bill. I know how to fix them anyway. Just an FYI, but Keystone is recalling 1529 - 2015 year model units (pretty much most brands they represent) for the cable drive slides. They'll be replacing the fasteners that secure the drive chain. Just something you may ask about. It was in one of the Trailer Life magazines I think.
2015 Jayco Jay Flight 28BHBE (#8)
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 12:37 AM   #24

I believe the Camping Worlds are as good as their general managers make them. I purchased my current RV from CW in Tucson AZ. I purchased online and only a couple Jayco dealers nationwide matched their price. I spent some time in AZ after the purchase and they were excellent at resolving the warranty issues I had after purchase. They always got me in quick for service. There are two Jayco dealers in the area I am now. One has excellent service and the other is terrible.
2013 GMC Sierra 2500 CC SB 4x4 Duramax
skijlw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 01:02 AM   #25

Thanks everyone. I do think we made a good choice. The Springdale that we bought has more features that we like than the 185rb did. It's a little heavier, which wasn't a consideration a week ago. But hubby got a bigger truck so we don't have to worry about weight as much now. And this dealer is so much better - small family business and it feels like they really care.

I'm super excited! Can't wait to start putting our stuff in the new TT and go on our first trip. �� Happy travels!
llilith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 06:27 AM   #26
Site Team

All the complaints you will ever read about are with only a handful of companies because that's all that there are making RV's and they are all huge companies.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 02:45 PM   #27

CW's CEO can't keep his political positions to himself. I wouldn't give his company a dime.
cekkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 02:50 PM   #28

oh my - I just looked him up. Is that Marcus Lemonis? Too funny - he has lemon in his last name. That's what my RV would have been if I'd bought there - since it would have been so hard to get service.
Old 08-17-2015, 06:06 PM   #29

Lillith -

Is it CW in Hillsboro you had an issue with?

I just ordered an RV through them... now I'm a bit... spooked.

LOL!

ecksdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 08:07 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecksdude View Post
Lillith -

Is it CW in Hillsboro you had an issue with?

I just ordered an RV through them... now I'm a bit... spooked.

LOL!

Yes, the first deal that fell through was in their Hillsboro location. What happened there is that we agreed on a price and needed some work done to our truck (hitching, brake controller). On the day before we were to take delivery, they increased the truck estimate from $700 to $1250. It's not cause there was more work, they had never even seen the truck. I got the distinct impression that they were trying to make up some money they lost cause I negotiated a good deal on the TT.

The second failed sale was at their PDX location.

BTW, we ended up getting a fair deal at Al's Trailers in Salem. He doesn't do Jayco though - but there is one next store that does: Roberson RV. I though it really said something about the guy at Al's when he told me where I could still get a Jayco after my bad experience at CW. We ended up liking the Keystone model Al's had better so we didn't go to Roberson though.

I'd stay pretty far away from CW if I were you - if there is still time to move on from your deal. Check out the yelp and google plus reviews - crazy bad. I'm not sure why I gave them two chances.
Old 08-18-2015, 08:13 AM   #31

We bought the 19RD this past May at Camping World in Kingston, NY. The experience was close enough to buying a new car that I felt it was "meets expectations".

The service department is clearly incompetent. Again, meets my expectations.

I would say it was slightly more pleasant than getting the mortgage when we bought the house in 1997.

Sitting in The Cheap Seats.
And proud of it!
mike837go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 09:34 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murff View Post
Comparing a dealer (CW) with a manufacturer (Jayco) is kind of apples and oranges isn't it?
Hohenwald48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 10:03 AM   #33

Yeah guess they should read this thread. Went to CW in New Braunfels. Walked the lot looked in as many that were open. Walked in the showroom looked sat around looked. Was there bout an hour and not a swinging !/=÷'"^_ came to ask if they could help. No one. In sales that's not good. I'm not crazy about salesperson but at times it helps. Went to a local dealer was in the first trailer for a minute and up came salesman. That's where I spent 30,000.00. They advertise stuff online for a price but don't tell you it's if you have a good Sam's membership. Then it's higher. Nope don't need them. Can get most anything on Amazon anyways.
crehome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 10:49 AM   #34

Why does Jayco associate themselves with CW? I wanted a Jayco after doing research and spending a whole day with the Misses driving all around the Metro Atlanta area looking at different brands, and if you know Atlanta that's like 25% of Georgia, and was forced to deal with CW to get one. I do mean forced, a dealer I would to have loved to do business with only sold the pop ups. Is it their massive buying ability, is it impossible for independent dealers to compete with CW? I wanted to steer away from them for the very reason this thread was started, that being said I love the camper!I'm going to try my best to purchase the next one elsewhere, I'll be here looking advice when that day comes.
"Gonna buy a home on wheels see
how it feels going mobile"
mothernaturesson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 12:03 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hohenwald48 View Post
Comparing a dealer (CW) with a manufacturer (Jayco) is kind of apples and oranges isn't it?
Go back and read the ENTIRE thread! When I posted the link, lillith was still comparing Jayco to Keystone, not dealers.

Thanks for the positive input.

Murff

2015 White Hawk 20MRB (It's last year)
2017 F150 2.7 Eco Boost 3.73 Gears

Murff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 01:50 PM   #36

I have 2 CW experiences this year. First in April, DW convinced me to go camping (RV). I was suborn for 3 years prior and said I'll visit the nearest CW, about 40 miles away. I met with a guy named Don. He was very friendly and was great in teaching me everything he knew about RVing. At the time I never towed anything bigger than a snowmobile trailer so size was my #1 concern. Still being a rookie I found a Hybrid trailer that I thought would fit our needs. It was 1.2 seconds and DW shot me down. she found a 2014 X213 on their lot, which he never showed me. In the end we bought it. Every one was nice and helpful, the finance guy got us a great rate at a CU I once had a loan with. We fell for all the bells & whistles making the great rate void. Honestly with in 2 weeks I went from knowing nothing to owning a TT.
So we camped a few times and found a great seasonal site to park, complete with deck. At this point DW announced that Our X213 was too small and we needed to upgrade. We only made 2 payments mind you. I knew I wanted a White Hawk 28DSBH but to find one in WI was very difficult. DW wanted to go back to CW because of the finance guy Marco. They had one 2014 Jay Flight on the lot so I called. Turns out our sales guy left, and we had to work with the "Manager". He talked DW into a Colman but I was leary. The bank wouldn't deal with us on the Colman but did accept the Jayco. When I asked him he wasn't straight up with me, just said "come and pick it up". I did hours of searching and found exactly the 2016 White Hawk I wanted from a dealer 25 miles from where Our TT was parked. the CW was over 100 miles. Interstate RV was awesome! they took our trade and sold us the trailer for 10k. No add-ons nothing they set up my WDH and said that they would waive site visit charges if we needed service. Now though all this we gave CW every opportunity to get us the TT and they actually told us to get it from Interstate RV. I got my Extended warranty money back in 3 weeks too thanks to Marko the finance guy.

Knowing what I know now I would NEVER buy from CW. First because it will be a long time before I buy one, second CW in WI don't carry Jayco's and third Interstate was more honest.

David & Amy Adkins
2016 White Hawk 28DSBH
2011 Ram 1500 Big Horn
Zeus, Little (the pups)
DJ-Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 01:57 PM   #37
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
All the complaints you will ever read about are with only a handful of companies because that's all that there are making RV's and they are all huge companies.
Thor owns:
Airstream
Crossroads
Bison RV
Cruiser
DRV
Dutchmen
Heartland
Keystone
KZ
Livin Lite
Postle Aluminum
Thor Motor Coaches
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 02:01 PM   #38

Nice when you have a pleasant experience with a major purchase. Also nice to share the experience so others know where to make their purchase!

Thanks, DJ!

Murff

2015 White Hawk 20MRB (It's last year)
2017 F150 2.7 Eco Boost 3.73 Gears

Murff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 12:20 AM   #39

Well, it's too late for me, before I saw this thread I'd already made the deal with CW and paid a deposit for the trailer I ordered.

I did get a decent price from them on it (after getting quotes from 10 dealers in 3 states and telling CW they'd have to match the best one to get my business, which they nearly did - $600 over the best offer, which would have been the price of fuel to go pick it up at the dealer with the lowest price anyway).

So my sales experience was pretty good, mostly because I chose exactly what I wanted, played dealers off each other over email, and then got the price I was looking for.

It's nice that the place I'm picking it up is close to home. But I worry about service after reading this.

I spent over a month researching trailers... I guess I should have spent some more time researching dealers as well...

That's life. Hopefully it works out (fingers crossed).

7 more weeks to wait (or so...)
ecksdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 06:00 AM   #40

My local Camping World is literally 5 minutes away from where I store my rig.

My selling dealer is 1.5 hours away. My servicing Ford dealer is about 1 hour away.

I refuse to take my rig to Camping World even for a wash/wax.

On the sidelines taking it all in.

Jopopsy is offline   Reply With Quote