Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-10-2015, 07:04 PM   #1

Campsite max length clarification

Hi All,

I found a great booking - the last site available - and it says max vehicle length 30' and then in the detail it says max trailer 20' due to maneuverability. It's a pull through site.

We have a 24' x213. Do you think we could push it? Or is that an absolute no? Its in Yosemite. We're brand new so I'm not sure what to make of these online booking sites and their info.

Thanks for your help.
chent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 07:29 PM   #2

I would read that as, if you were in a class C or small motorhome then 30' would work. But if a trailer being pulled by a tow vehicle then 20' trailer is all that can maneuver. Don't' think I would chance it..unless you can call and verify... Good Luck

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 08:20 PM   #3

What CG in Yosemite?

When the valley CG are full Wawona often has sites. Don't be afraid to stay there, it's great.
2012 Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 08:42 PM   #4

ReserveUSA has a number to call for clarification of rig size. Another hint, check reservations on a daily basis ... people cancel and if you are constantly checking availability - you might just be lucky. On the flipside, clubhouse is absolutely correct - Wawona is good and there are lots of other campgrounds from which making day trips to the valley floor is very easy. DO KNOW - Yosemite is in the process of reverting back to nature, for example when flooding destroyed building - they didn't replace them, campgrounds have been eliminated, less stores and dining facilities, etc.. The objective is to reduce the volume of visitors (and stress on the location) but provide an improved opportunity to fully enjoy the nature!

Genealogy Community Social Group Moderator
Hattie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 08:52 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by clubhouse View Post
What CG in Yosemite?

When the valley CG are full Wawona often has sites. Don't be afraid to stay there, it's great.
i used the reserveamerica site to check all of them. It was Hodgdon that had the spot but it said only a 20' trailer. I suppose I could always book out at another site and try the first-come-first-serve spots. But would have to see how many sites there are that could actually take a 24' trailer.
Old 03-10-2015, 08:53 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hattie View Post
ReserveUSA has a number to call for clarification of rig size. Another hint, check reservations on a daily basis ... people cancel and if you are constantly checking availability - you might just be lucky. On the flipside, clubhouse is absolutely correct - Wawona is good and there are lots of other campgrounds from which making day trips to the valley floor is very easy. DO KNOW - Yosemite is in the process of reverting back to nature, for example when flooding destroyed building - they didn't replace them, campgrounds have been eliminated, less stores and dining facilities, etc.. The objective is to reduce the volume of visitors (and stress on the location) but provide an improved opportunity to fully enjoy the nature!
Great idea. I'll definitely check it daily and call them about the sizing.
Old 03-10-2015, 09:06 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by chent View Post
i used the reserveamerica site to check all of them. It was Hodgdon that had the spot but it said only a 20' trailer. I suppose I could always book out at another site and try the first-come-first-serve spots. But would have to see how many sites there are that could actually take a 24' trailer.
Ok, I have never camped at Hodgdon, thought I would take the chance I might have some first hand knowledge of the site you were looking at. We live 90 miles from Yosemite and have started to spend a fair amount there.

Don't gamble on getting 24' in a 20' spot unless you know it first hand. Often the issue isn't the site but the road getting back to it. There are lots of sites that will accommodate a 24' TT you just need to keep searching daily.
2012 Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 10:43 PM   #8

I had a similar question when I made a booking there. I called the Rangers - they transferred me to the campground and I asked. They told me they do not have a tape measure out when you go. They said if I can get it in, no problem. If not, I would have to see if there is another spot open or not stay. I went on campsitephotos.com and saw that it would be no problem. There was a tree in front of the site I reserved, but it looked fine. I never got to go because the gov shut down. I would chance it. Every site I book, I get there and see it is 5 feet bigger than I need. Never found one I couldn't get into. Don't go crazy, but a few feet is usually not an issue.

2014 Jayco Jay Flight 32 BHDS
2015 Ford F-250 Lariat 6.7L Powerstroke 4x4
nunyadamn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 07:43 AM   #9

I've found in Michigan State Parks, that it's not so much the size of the campground pad, but the width of the road in front, and obstacles (trees/brush/signs) across from the pad entrance. With a Super-crew cab and a 6.5' bed on my truck, I've had a dickens of a time getting into some sites! You can check out the conditions around the site on Google Earth satellite images. I've often found them to be more useful than the photos of just the campsite itself.
Old 03-11-2015, 09:07 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brownie View Post
I've found in Michigan State Parks, that it's not so much the size of the campground pad, but the width of the road in front, and obstacles (trees/brush/signs) across from the pad entrance. With a Super-crew cab and a 6.5' bed on my truck, I've had a dickens of a time getting into some sites! You can check out the conditions around the site on Google Earth satellite images. I've often found them to be more useful than the photos of just the campsite itself.
With my crew cab, long bed, 4wd, and 30ft TT (rig ~51 ft overall), I know some campgrounds will be a challenge, others, impossible. Google Earth will be my friend, along with DW, and handheld radios.
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 05:23 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brownie View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanAZ View Post
With my crew cab, long bed, 4wd, and 30ft TT (rig ~51 ft overall), I know some campgrounds will be a challenge, others, impossible. Google Earth will be my friend, along with DW, and handheld radios.
Listen to these guys. I'm 56', and it is rough. Sometimes, just having enough room to swing the frontend of the truck to back in is a problem.
2x Honda 2K
NewBlackDak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 06:37 PM   #12

This is why campgrounds put limitations on certain camp sights. Add to it that probably 75% (no one on this board of course) can hardly drive forward on a 4 lane road, let alone back up between trees with bushes etc on both sides of the road. And it's always the ones that yell I don't need your help, I know what I'm doing...then they take out a bush and the side of their rig...

Bottom line, best to go by what the campground lists, they really do know best and want your stay to be happy.

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote