Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-21-2015, 07:41 PM   #1

campsite/route suggestions

What are your favourite parks?

Hi TT Owners,
We're new to the TT world and the forum. We have recently purchased a 2015 x213 and plan to hit the open road with our 6mo and 2yo sons this summer from Toronto to LA and everything in between. The only planned locals we have are Calgary, Vancouver, and Los Angeles area (visiting friends in those areas) and Yellowstone. We're interested in exploring Colorado, Washington and the Dakotas. Would love your favourite parks in both Canada and the US.
With our two young boys we will be limited to short driving days so will be making lots of stops and plan to take a few months to do the whole trip.
Would love to hear about your adventures.
TIA.
chent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 07:48 PM   #2

What specific area in Vancouver are you visiting?? Lots of outlying areas.. I can help you with campgrounds when I know where abouts you wanna be.
Skaling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 07:52 PM   #3

Welcome to the forum. Congrats on TT and make those memories with family
fielro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 07:56 PM   #4

We literally have no plans. We'll be visiting Invermere in mid-late summer via Calgary and through Banff. I've been googling parks. I've always been a tent or pop up camper so the TT thing is new and I haven't camped out of Ontario parks as an adult.
What are your top 5?
Old 02-21-2015, 09:25 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by chent View Post
We literally have no plans. We'll be visiting Invermere in mid-late summer via Calgary and through Banff. I've been googling parks. I've always been a tent or pop up camper so the TT thing is new and I haven't camped out of Ontario parks as an adult.
What are your top 5?
Sunnyside campground @ Cultus lake
Fort camping @ Brae Island, Fort Langley
Golden Ears in Maple Ridge

Campsites in BC book up fast and early, so you need to make reservations ASAP
https://secure.camis.com/Discovercamping/
Skaling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 01:14 AM   #6

I think the Washington coast is just so so at best but the Oregon coast is a real jaw dropper. Plan this section well and you might never go back home.
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Tunce the traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 01:20 AM   #7

A camp site view from Harris Beach State Park in Brookings, Or.
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Old 02-22-2015, 01:35 AM   #8

And most of them are empty, it's your world.
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Old 02-22-2015, 07:08 AM   #9

I agree with Tunce the traveler about the Oregon coast. It is stunning! We tried to get into a few OR state parks this summer and they are already full up. We opted for nice private parks near where we wanted to stay.
Since your coming to LA, I strongly recommend stopping by Yosemite National Park in central CA. It's really awesome and shouldn't be missed. Happy camping!
2015 Jayco Jay Flight 23MB Elite
Previous RV's, 1988 33-foot Barth Class A and 1994 Flagstaff Pop-Up
Desert RVers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 04:48 PM   #10

Do go down the Oregon coast, there are so many beautiful state parks. We are going again this summer and can hardly wait! We love Cape Lookout, Harris Beach, Sunset beach, Jessie Honeyman and if you can check our Jedidiah Smith in CA. We really enjoyed swimming in the Smith river. At Jessie Honeyman there is alot to do with the kids in the dunes.
There are lots of nice provincial parks in the Bamff area, and Calgary is only an hour away. There is also a theme park on the edge of calgary (Calaway Park) we have never been there cause we like the forests. Sounds like a great adventure! Enjoy!
Old 02-22-2015, 05:55 PM   #11

If you want to go Salmon fishing right from shore and back up your TT to the ocean then you must stay at Winchester Bay RV Resort. Just Google that one and you'll never find cleaner rest rooms any where. Fresh oysters just on the other side of the marina that you can see from the resort. Fresh canned tuna at the marina to take home to your friends.

My first time there I just finished setting up and put my beach chair facing the inlet and we see this fisherman walking to his chair with his pole and this big ass net and I commented to my wife " what's he going to do with that thing". Well it wasn't 15 minutes later and he really needed that net and I ate my words. That's just from shore my friends and they also have a crabbing pier if you have any room left after you eat that Salmon.
Old 02-22-2015, 07:18 PM   #12

Mount Saint Helens in Washington is a 'must see'. In Oregon swing past Crater Lake. When crossing into Humboldt Co. in California you'll enjoy the Avenue of the Giants. Of course, don't miss California's Gold Rush 49er trail starting in Sacramento and ending in Oakhurst, a gateway to Yosemite (where it's hard to snag a campsite, plan booking 5 months in advance). From Yosemite, you're on track to the Monterey Peninsula (the Monterey Bay Aquarium, Steinbeck's Cannery Row, 17-mile drive past Pebble Beach, Carmel-By-The-Sea and mission), then head south towards LA.

Genealogy Community Social Group Moderator
Hattie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 10:24 AM   #13

If you're hitting Colorado, it would be a shame to skip Utah. Too many National and State parks to name here.
2x Honda 2K
NewBlackDak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 01:09 PM   #14

Sometimes you can find openings for a night or two for Oregon coast state parks - but last year that was the section of the trip that gave me the most heartburn that we weren't going to be able to find anywhere to stop!
That said - if you are having problems finding a coastal campground, look for parks literally on the other side of the highway. Those seem to be much easier to get in to. And then if you want to go to the beach, it is almost always a short drive down and across the road...
While there are stretches with no private campgrounds, there are enough that you can also find a spot that way, too. In many areas, they just don't measure up to the state parks, however. But if you need a landing spot, they will do.
Old 02-27-2015, 08:00 PM   #15

Thanks Hattie.

Can we book a campsite and cancel a few days if our schedule changes? I'm concerned that traveling with the kids might make staying on a schedule a challenge. I'm thinking we could book a week and cancel a day or two on either end if the schedule changes.

Do you end up paying for the whole booking anyway?

Thanks for your help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hattie View Post
Mount Saint Helens in Washington is a 'must see'. In Oregon swing past Crater Lake. When crossing into Humboldt Co. in California you'll enjoy the Avenue of the Giants. Of course, don't miss California's Gold Rush 49er trail starting in Sacramento and ending in Oakhurst, a gateway to Yosemite (where it's hard to snag a campsite, plan booking 5 months in advance). From Yosemite, you're on track to the Monterey Peninsula (the Monterey Bay Aquarium, Steinbeck's Cannery Row, 17-mile drive past Pebble Beach, Carmel-By-The-Sea and mission), then head south towards LA.
Old 02-28-2015, 09:01 AM   #16

Regarding cancelling sites - check the reservation tool you are using, everyone has different rules, be they private or public. We boondock a lot in California State Parks; here is what ReserveAmerica says: "Cancellations can be made up to and on the day of arrival. Cancellations after 5pm PST/7pm CST/8pm EST the day prior to arrival date will also be charged the first night's use fee. A reserved site is held until 12pm (noon) PST the day after arrival date. After 12pm (noon) PST the reservation is cancelled as a no show. Cancellations will also result in the cancellation fee of $7.50 being deducted from your refund for each site reserved. Total fees deducted from your refund are $15.50. The $8.00 non-refundable reservation fee + the $7.50 cancellation fee."

Genealogy Community Social Group Moderator
Hattie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 05:10 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewBlackDak View Post
If you're hitting Colorado, it would be a shame to skip Utah. Too many National and State parks to name here.

What is your favourite park in southern Utah?
Old 03-08-2015, 06:48 PM   #18

Bryce is unlike any other park I have been too. I would hit it for sure.

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 03:08 PM   #19

campsite/route suggestions

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags999 View Post
Bryce is unlike any other park I have been too. I would hit it for sure.

Bryce, Zion, Dinosaur,Arches, goblin valley
2x Honda 2K
NewBlackDak is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
itinerary