Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-28-2013, 12:24 PM   #1

Question Can I walk on the roof

I have a 2003 jayflight 27bh and want to know if I can walk on the roof to clean it or should I just use a ladder.
Phildakota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 01:20 PM   #2

Even if the roof is strong enough (I'm not certain) personally I would avoid getting up on the roof at all unless it is necessary for the work you are doing at the time (inspection, sealant renewing, vent repairs, etc.). When I need to get on top of vans and travel trailers I use a moving blanket cushion/protector under a plank or plywood. On vans I tie off or otherwise secure the plank because it can slide on the painted sheetmetal. I'd think that isn't necessary on a TT roof.

Places like Harbor Freight and Tractor Supply sell small moving blankets for reasonable price. They are handy for padding things that you need to pack inside your trailer. They also work as extra cushion or insulation for sleeping if you forget a blanket. They're not just for moving anymore.

I wouldn't want to do anything that might compromise the integrity of the roof, but my 2001 has already had water issues so I'm a bit wary. I would think that a long handle brush off a ladder is good enough for cleaning.

My opinion and worth everything you'll never pay for it. vic
Old 05-28-2013, 01:25 PM   #3

Call Jayco Customer Service, they should be able to tell you if you can walk on the roof or not.

2012 Ford F-150 Lariat Supercrew 4X4, 3.5L Ecoboost, 3.73 (traded)
2005 Jayco 1207 (second PUP)
1976 Coleman Brandywine (first PUP)
katgar05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 01:45 PM   #4

Call your local dealer and ask if your model has a roof that supports walking on. If he says yes then your good to go if not then no harm no foul.

My Jayflight 28BHS came with a ladder installed to get on the roof. I routinely use the ladder to clean the top of the slide off before putting it in and also use it to climb up and sweep the gutters out. I will say that I always take my socks and shoes off and walk barefoot to ensure there isn't a rock in my shoe that would poke a hole through the roof.
Old 05-28-2013, 04:15 PM   #5

Thanks for the input I think I will use a ladder to be on the safe side.
Phildakota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 05:58 PM   #6

I read an article, think it might have been in Trailer Life, that if your unit came from the factory with a permanently installed ladder on the back, then the roof has extra support built in, and can be walked on with no problem. That is logical to me, and mine has a ladder. Have walked on it many times, and it doesn't even creak or leak.
Retired at last !

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
tinlizzie23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 06:50 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinlizzie23 View Post
I read an article, think it might have been in Trailer Life, that if your unit came from the factory with a permanently installed ladder on the back, then the roof has extra support built in, and can be walked on with no problem. That is logical to me, and mine has a ladder. Have walked on it many times, and it doesn't even creak or leak.
Makes sense to me too.

Roof membranes are generally very resistant to puncture. That said, properly designed and installed membrane roof systems on commercial buildings have walk pad paths to, or at least in the area of, HVAC units and other fixed equipment. The membrane is not designed for foot traffic and scrubbing around.

Stones on shoes or other issues could cause an odd leak point. I can tell you from experience that pinholes, especially in unexpected places, on a membrane roof system are very, very difficult to pinpoint for repair. Whenever I was out on a membrane roof I would always pick up the errant screws, brazing rod stubs, silver solder bar bits, etc. that I noticed lying about. It was actually a form of self preservation. It may be a good idea to at least kick off your shoes as was mentioned earlier.

I'm being conservative by avoiding walking on a trailer roof. Perhaps it is a bit of an overreaction on my part, but a leak can cause ugly problems if not noticed and repaired in the early stages. There are some current threads about that.

To take it to the extreme, maybe the top of your travel trailer is not the best place for the family to hang out and view fireworks even if there is a fixed ladder. FWIW. vic
Old 06-04-2013, 09:18 PM   #8

I had a 2003 27BH and I used to get on the roof to clean it as well as perform routine maintenance. I weigh 220lbs and had no problems. My TT did not have a ladder installed from the factory.
usmc616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 01:38 PM   #9
Site Team

I walk on mine all the time, but only for roof maintenance Just be very careful not to drag your feet or anything to damage the membrane. I usually wear deck shoes and make sure they are clean. When working up there, I use a moving blanket to kneel on.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 09:44 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
I walk on mine all the time, but only for roof maintenance Just be very careful not to drag your feet or anything to damage the membrane. I usually wear deck shoes and make sure they are clean. When working up there, I use a moving blanket to kneel on.
X2!
Although DH at 270lbs is within the weight limits of our roof and ladder, I am way lighter. Soooo, by default I get to go up and wash the roof and do the caulk checks twice a year. Now that the tt is over three years, I find that I am 'dicoring' the seals somewhere on the roof each time I do the maintenance up there. Good for you that you plan to get up on your roof to maintain it. It may safe you leak issues in the future

Quote:
Originally Posted by katgar05 View Post
Call Jayco Customer Service, they should be able to tell you if you can walk on the roof or not.
X2! When it comes to tech questions on your Jayco, depending on who you speak with at a 'dealer' you may not always get the same answer. Best to call/email Jayco directly
Denise is offline   Reply With Quote