Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-16-2020, 06:36 AM   #1

Can my Dodge GT haul a 4400 lbs travel trailer?

I'm thinking of buying a Jayco Flight SLX8 224 BH (4400 lbs) and I'm wondering if my Dodge Durango GT V6(towing capacity 6200 lbs) can haul it safely.

Here are some specs:
My Durango 2020 came equipped with factory towing package with break
The GVWR of the Durango is 6500. The payload is 1360.
The travel trailer dry hitch weight is 400 lbs (Jay flight SLX8 224 BH)
Weight of family in car would be 500 lbs
Also, I would have the husky centerline swing bars

I haven't bought the travel trailer yet and I won't buy it if it's risky. Both the car dealership and RV dealership say it's absolutely fine. However, I'm not sure I can trust them.

Thanks so much for your opinions.
doum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2020, 07:15 AM   #2

You are right not to trust them. All they want is a sale. They would tell you a compact car can tow that trailer.

First, never go by the dry weight (4400# in this case). That's a fictional number. With options the trailer weighs more than that when it leaves the factory. Use the GVWR when running the numbers. You'll be closer to that number when ready to camp than you will ever be to the dry weight. In this case the SLX8 224 BH has 5,500# GVWR.

Subtract your potential tongue weight and the weight of the hitch (80-100#) from your payload. At 13% the tongue could be 715#, add 100# for the hitch, 815# of the payload is eaten up. That leaves 545#. Granted these numbers are all on the high end, but this gives you something to work with. It also puts you right at capacity. Which will probably be just fine for short trips and staying on relatively flat terrain.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2020, 07:26 AM   #3

I tow a 212QB (5,500# GVWR) with a 2018 Durango GT (6,100# tow capacity). We've taken it on five trips, all over 200 mi. one way, since we bought it last year. Went from Chicago to Houston and back with no problems. Averaged about 11-12 mpg. Haven't tried it in the mountains yet.

It looks like your 224BH has the same GVWR and you'll be using the same hitch. Based on my limited experience, I think you'll be fine.
2013 GMC Sierra SLE 5.3
Husky Centerline TS

ChiToones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2020, 09:50 AM   #4

I think the only really questionable number may be the hitch weight. Dodge normally has a hitch weight rating that is 10% of towing capacity, so should be around 620 lbs. I would ask the dealer to put it on a hitch scale in front of you, you will be surprised. Now, you may be able to keep it under the 620 lbs; however, you will be potentially loading the trailer heavier in the back which can contribute to sway.

Colby
Eastern Ontario, Canada
2018 Jayco 212QB
2020 Ford F150 SuperCrew
colby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2020, 06:59 PM   #5

I like to see at least a 10% margin on all weights when sizing a tow vehicle. when sizing a non tow vehicle to be a tow vehicle I would want 15 to 20% margin.

And I think it would be interesting to go back to the dealerships in question and ask their sales manager to sign a letter you have written, to whom it may concern this trailer, X, will tow safely with this vehicle, Y. The purpose of the request would simply be to see how badly they wanted a sale, no other. Tee-hee ��
'14 Denali XL
cekkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2020, 03:48 PM   #6

Bear in mind where weight will be distributed too. Are you adding propane and batteries to the front? that's a lot more added on to your payload.
If your fresh water is in the back hitch weight is less until your gray and black fill which a much higher % will be hitch weight.

You'll also need to add the weight of passengers and cargo in the durango as payload.

A dealer told me a tacoma could haul my trailer and payload didn't matter...
Payload is where you'll get bit.
m2bandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 07:18 AM   #7

check your door jam for vehicle specs on axle weight capacity and max
RudyBud is offline   Reply With Quote