Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-10-2018, 04:19 PM   #1

Can someone advise me

I have a 2017 Rk Hummingbird..I usually put on a sway bar but since I was only going a short distance I didn't out it on. I heard my chains clanging so I got out to inspect and this unnerves me. I drove to 600 miles last year and it didn't seem like it was even hitting the ground could it be because the sway arms raises it up more?
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20180510_121218.jpg  
lumana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 04:24 PM   #2

Correct.
Old 05-10-2018, 04:25 PM   #3

Thank you.
Old 05-10-2018, 04:31 PM   #4

Yes the hitch arms will level the trailer and truck. It takes weight from the back and puts it on the front of your truck.

Did you have anything extra in the bed of your truck? seems awful low even without the weight distribution bars.

I towed many a travel trailer and always took the time to hook completely up before moving the trailer. Doesn't take but a couple minutes.

Does your truck and trailer sit level when your correctly hooked? If not you may need to adjust your hitch.

There are several good video online that show how to do this. It's really not hard but the results are worth the trouble. It will tow better and safer.
cabinetmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 04:40 PM   #5

It was so strange, I'm a newbie to the truck and trailer, but last year I always pulled it with the sway bars attached without a problem but today I was practicing my parking and backing in that when I drove around the storage lot the ground was uneven black top to gravel with a bit of a drop. I heard the chains hit and thought that was weird so I did another round and when it hit again I saw the hitch super low. I thought maybe the trailer tires needs air nothing in the truck empty rear . Not even a full tank of gas....I was thinking maybe the hitch needs adjusting but this is the specific one I took to the dealership and they set it up. With the sway bars attached as well....
Old 05-10-2018, 05:11 PM   #6

I assume when you are saying “sway bars” you are in fact speaking of “weight distribution bars”. Sway bars have NO effect on leveling your tow vehicle, only side ti side sway from crosswinds or Semi passing you while traveling.
If so you need to revisit your “ setup”.
Unhitch from trailer, and measure straight line from ground to fender well right above rear and front tires.
Hitch up trailer without weight distribution bars loaded. Take the same measurements again.
Now “load/hitch” distribution bars. And takes same measurements a third time.
Ideally the first and third measurements on front should be close to same.
If not adjustments need to be made.
BroRobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 05:13 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabinetmaker View Post
. . . seems awful low even without the weight distribution bars . . .
Agree. Any idea how much tongue weight you have? This is good to know info just to make sure your WDH (weight distribution hitch) is sized properly for your rig.
CampNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 05:16 PM   #8

"Sway bars".
??
Your picture shows no weight distribution bars.
Aside from a "equalizer" style wdh, I don't know of a sway bar that will have any effect on your hitch height/ chains dragging.

I consciously try not to nitpick, but this matters. A lot.

I see that the issue has been addressed.
My apologies.
Vaquero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 05:22 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaquero View Post
"Sway bars".
??
Your picture shows no weight distribution bars.
Aside from a "equalizer" style wdh, I don't know of a sway bar that will have any effect on your hitch height/ chains dragging.

I consciously try not to nitpick, but this matters. A lot.

I see that the issue has been addressed.
My apologies.
I'm sorry it's an eaz lift weight distribution system. I usually do put it on but I was concerned about backing up with it on in case I got turning to tight. I appreciate the input since I just got this started. Looking forward to seeing great places.
Old 05-10-2018, 06:44 PM   #10

I would guess from looking at that the front of your trailer is WAY low and the back of the trailer is WAY high. I sometimes hook my trailer up to my expedition to move it around without putting on the weight distribution bars and I sure don't sag like that.
I would guess your ball is mounted far too low. (which is how it looks above in the photo)
On a level surface, with your trailer level, and your truck backed up very close to the tongue of the trailer, the ball should just bump the tip of the tongue.

2012 Ford Expedition EL
2016 28BHBE, Elite and Thermal Packages.
Equal-i-zer 4-point Sway Control, Southwire 34930 Surge Guard 30A, Tire Minder TPMS A1A
(2) Yamaha EF2000iS Generators, Micro-Air EasyStart™ 364 (3-ton) Soft Start, Garmin RV 890, GoodYear Endurance ST225/75-15 Load Range E
RAurand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 07:20 PM   #11

I will take pictures tomorrow and post. Thanks so much for all the advice and questions. I want to be a responsible travel trailer owner but I realize I have a lot to learn.
Old 05-10-2018, 07:58 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumana View Post
I will take pictures tomorrow and post. Thanks so much for all the advice and questions. I want to be a responsible travel trailer owner but I realize I have a lot to learn.
When you post the photos, make sure your trailer is sitting on level ground, and level. Then back your truck/ball up to the ball receiver and show us how that looks. Your ball should just be bumping the leading edge of the ball receiver or just barely making it under it.

2012 Ford Expedition EL
Equal-i-zer 4-point Sway Control, Southwire 34930 Surge Guard 30A, Tire Minder TPMS A1A
(2) Yamaha EF2000iS Generators, Micro-Air EasyStart™ 364 (3-ton) Soft Start, Garmin RV 890, GoodYear Endurance ST225/75-15 Load Range E
Old 05-10-2018, 07:59 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

In case your RV dealer didn't provide you with the EAZ-LIFT WDH Installation/Adjustment documentation, the following link may be helpful:

EAZ-LIFT Instructions: https://docs.wixstatic.com/ugd/4b6ff...d41cf8b914.pdf

Confirm that the above product instructions match your particular EAZ-LIFT WDH model.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 02:17 AM   #14

Looking at your photo I would assume your truck is on an incline, which with your story description indicated as you pulled around the chains began to drag. Also, it looks like your truck is a Ram 1500 with a stock suspension. Honestly, I have never seen a hitch mounted so low on the drop bar with a standard suspension. Most often the ball is nearly equal with the bumper. As many here on the forums know, just because a dealer installed it does not mean it was installed correctly. All too often an untrained service tech is installing these. Use the guide provided in previous posts, and make sure there are adequate number of washers to pitch the ball correctly, which allows the WDH bars to do there job. If I were to guess, there are not any washers in your setup, the ball does not appear to have any pitch to it. I think with a little playing around with it, and mounting the hitch higher on the drop bar you will be good to go.
Also, with the Eaz-lift, you shouldn’t have to worry about disconnecting the bars to back up, they are quite forgiving in a tight turn.
All the previous posts have given some good advice, we welcome those who are willing to ask and learn.

2011 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins
2012 Starcraft Autumn Ridge 297 BHS
Flyrotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 06:16 PM   #15

Weight distribution hooked up

This is how my truck looks as I back it up to pick up the trailer. The trailer hitch ball is too low so I need to go up at least 5 inches to drive the truck beneath the tongue.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20180511_104743.jpg   IMG_20180511_110721.jpg  
Old 05-11-2018, 06:17 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumana View Post
This is how my truck looks as I back it up to pick up the trailer
The bottom image is with the WD attached and it's so much better.
Old 05-11-2018, 06:24 PM   #17

Is your trailer fairly level when you are hitched up?
From that last photo the tongue/hitch looks low, but it could be optical illusion.
Old 05-11-2018, 06:33 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroRobin View Post
From that last photo the tongue/hitch looks low, but it could be optical illusion.
BroRobin the hitch is low but the tongue is lower. its all level (fairly), but the truck was bought used and it sits very high. Lets just say I cannot fit in my parking garage at work. Maybe this is my problem. I apologize for appearing naive but it's all very new to me. I do appreciate everyone taking the time to assist me with this.
Old 05-11-2018, 07:00 PM   #19

Try to find an area that is fairly and level. Un-hitch your truck from trailer, level your trailer up by measuring from frame to ground at front of trailer and at the rear. A good spot would be near where your stabilizing jacks are.
Keep adjusting with tongue jack until both measurements are equal or as close as.....
Then measure from the ground to the top of the tongue area where the ball fits.
Then measure from ground to top of the ball on your truck.
The desired ball height needs to be close to the trailer tongue height that you measured previously.
Again this needs to be in an area that this fairly flat and level.
Old 05-11-2018, 07:29 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroRobin View Post
Those weight distribution bars look like they are about to drag on the road.
Could you please post a photo of the entire rig on level ground?

2012 Ford Expedition EL