Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Closed Thread

Old 11-16-2018, 07:37 PM   #61

Does anyone search before posting? I mean we have hashed this numerous times.
Old 11-16-2018, 08:10 PM   #62

Maybe some people just want to join the conversation, not necessarily ask a question. No need to 'search before posting'. I saw this topic at the top of the Jayco RV Owners Forum email I just got a day or two ago. But no need to follow this topic though if it doesn't interest you any more either.
Old 11-17-2018, 06:43 AM   #63

[QUOTE=SloPoke;706313]Can you share the document that you are quoting?

Nothing in Title 36 has any reference to this quote.

That was taken from an individual park handout. Can't find the exact one now but here is the Mobile District COE rules and this is what it says concerning all campgrounds in its district.

https://www.sam.usace.army.mil/Missi...anier/Camping/

" The discharge of grey water and sewage is prohibited. Please use the dump station. "

Joe Hinson
2010 Jayco Quest G2(SOLD)
2014 Jayco Eagle 33.5RETS
2007 Ram 2500 5.9L Cummins(SOLD)
2015 Ram 2500 6.7L Cummins 4WD
:)
Old 11-17-2018, 07:35 AM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffNY View Post
>>
I did NOT say I thought it made more sense, I said "that would require some high tech and probably costly hardware.". REPLY

I must have missed that and upon rereading, I still couldn't find that clarification.

And would we want every RV'er out there just throwing a hose into "a stream, pond, or lake" and taking on 40 or 50 gallons of un-tested water? I'm thinking you might not have understood my comments on the subject, or have a better solution. REPLY

In reality, it happens all the time for those living off the grid or in areas where purified water service is not available. Water in its natural form [not pulled from the air] is easily and cheaply made safe to drink in any number of simple and inexpensive ways.

Ah but you knew what I was saying anyway. And what does "enamered " mean if not "seriously considering as a viable solution to a problem"??
Old 11-17-2018, 08:10 AM   #65

I said "I have been enamored by the idea of a camper that could produce (pull) water (moisture) out of the air for an endless supply of water and that could also deal with the gray and black water waste by itself too." ...look up the word "enamored". In this context it means I like the IDEA of that. Not that I am "seriously considering as a viable solution to a problem". The incinerating toilet may be practical or cost effective now, but pulling water out of thin air (or recycling gray water) is not at the moment (as I said). Doesn't mean I don't like the idea of it being viable "someday". And it doesn't mean I am suggesting getting a system like that from NASA for an RV.
Old 11-17-2018, 09:21 AM   #66

Quote:
the word "enamored". In this context it means I like the IDEA of that. Not that I am "seriously considering as a viable solution to a problem". The incinerating toilet may be practical or cost effective now, but pulling water out of thin air (or recycling gray water) is not at the moment (as I said). Doesn't mean I don't like the idea of it being viable "someday". And it doesn't mean I am suggesting getting a system like that from NASA for an RV.
Ah the world of "word scripting! You brought up the subject so it is well in the spirit of the forum to challenge the idea that you like, given that the idea has no practical basis.

To make the point, I am enamored to the idea of equipping an RV with an auto drilling device that would sink a shaft of sufficient depth as to reach the water table and then could "pull" water for use in the RV. As a jester of good faith, depending on the flow rate, water could also be made available to neighbors forced to rely on their expensive hi tech devices for "pulling" water from the thin air.

Silly but I kind of like it.
Old 11-17-2018, 01:05 PM   #67

[QUOTE=namusmc65;706440]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SloPoke View Post
Can you share the document that you are quoting?

Nothing in Title 36 has any reference to this quote.

That was taken from an individual park handout. Can't find the exact one now but here is the Mobile District COE rules and this is what it says concerning all campgrounds in its district.

https://www.sam.usace.army.mil/Missi...anier/Camping/

" The discharge of grey water and sewage is prohibited. Please use the dump station. "
Thanks for your clarification... These specific campgrounds that are managed by COE have a watershed/body of water that would preclude any type of drainage and also likely require SWWP control as well. Most importantly, they have a on site dump station, so why would one even consider gray water an issue?

As others have been quoted, It is all dependent on the location and the local regulations... not a blanket rule or law that "prohibits it everywhere"
- depending on the location and the topology, it is permitted in many places, encouraged in many places. So unless there are additional restrictions placed on an individual COE campground, these would typically apply - and there is nothing in these regs that prohibit gray water being drained on the soil. https://www.mvr.usace.army.mil/Porta...egulations.pdf

There is a distinction between draining gray water on the soil in a established campground with a sewer hookup or dump station, and draining gray water in a dispersed camping spot that does not have any water/power/dump facilities. Common sense also comes into play here... draining anything in / near a watershed or body of water should be avoided at all possible.
07 Toyota FJC & Yamaha Kodiak 400 ATV

Old 11-17-2018, 05:16 PM   #68

>>You brought up the subject so it is well in the spirit of the forum to challenge the idea that you like, given that the idea has no practical basis.<<

You can challenge it all you want. But it was just a casual comment. I am not trying to sell anything here.

You need to lighten up Bassdogs. Cell phones with cameras and maps weren't "practical" just a few years ago. Cars that could drive themselves weren't "practical" a couple years ago either....but you know what? We just got back from a 326 mile day trip up to Plattsburgh, NY and back in my Chevy Volt that did over 90% of the driving today (see comma.ai). Incinerating toilets, solar panels and lithium ion batteries for RV's weren't practical that long ago either. But sorry if bringing up something that is not 'practical' and that you can't buy at Walmart today annoys you.
Old 11-17-2018, 05:56 PM   #69
Site Team

Moderator comment:

Lets keep this conversation on a friendly basis.

I don't think anyone will disagree that there have been many things in all our lifetime that we could never imagine. Times change and those that don't are left in the dust IMO.
Who ever thought that a pay phone would be something that most young ones today even know about? When I went to work with Southern Bell in 1965 I was working on open wire Toll lines and when I left I was working on fiber optic cable transmission systems. During my career we took what came, learned it then forgot it when something else came along and we started over with learning.

It's amazing how many things have changed and we can fight it or look forward to it. It's coming anyhow.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
Old 11-17-2018, 06:53 PM   #70

>>Lets keep this conversation on a friendly basis.<<

...if I could find the 'Thumbs Up' emoticon I would give that two
Old 11-17-2018, 07:13 PM   #71

And after 69 comments relating to the original question the answer remains the same. It all depends on where you are.
Old 11-17-2018, 08:12 PM   #72

Quote:
>>You brought up the subject so it is well in the spirit of the forum to challenge the idea that you like, given that the idea has no practical basis.<<

You can challenge it all you want. But it was just a casual comment. I am not trying to sell anything here.

You need to lighten up Bassdogs. Cell phones with cameras and maps weren't "practical" just a few years ago. Cars that could drive themselves weren't "practical" a couple years ago either....but you know what? We just got back from a 326 mile day trip up to Plattsburgh, NY and back in my Chevy Volt that did over 90% of the driving today (see comma.ai). Incinerating toilets, solar panels and lithium ion batteries for RV's weren't practical that long ago either. But sorry if bringing up something that is not 'practical' and that you can't buy at Walmart today annoys you.
All of this is not so much about practical but rather a solution that hardly speaks to the issue at hand. Over 30 years ago on a pack packing trip into the teetons I was introduced to filter straws that allowed you to drink water directly from a stream or lake. Not a new concept but was my first experience with the device. A clean safe drink of fresh water was a welcome and necessary "practical" device. I suspect even decades later a similar if not identical item is probably used by hikers today. Pretty sure hikers are still not dreaming about pulling water from air.

The inventions of yesterday are soon absorbed into the "usual" of today and many of today's normal will be replaced by concepts not even on the radar. That said, when water is available all around us or can easily be transported to the places that we RV, that air thing is probably not going to come to be. At least in my and probably your lifetime.

The moderator is waving the red flag so time to let this one go. What is Walmart? Hasn't that been replaced by Amazon?
Old 11-17-2018, 08:31 PM   #73

As I said it was just a casual comment about RV's and clean water. Nothing more. Not sure why we are analyzing it to n'th degree. But, at any rate, have a nice day
Old 11-17-2018, 08:55 PM   #74
Site Team

This subject has been thoroughly covered.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
Closed Thread