Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-27-2021, 09:28 AM   #1

Can you run AC on home outlet?

I was wondering if I can run my AC while plugged into a traditional house outlet?
Jaycobro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2021, 09:29 AM   #2

Depends on what else is on that circuit, but it is possible. Plug in and turn it on.
Old 05-27-2021, 09:36 AM   #3

depends on breaker size and what else is running.
If I plug the RV into the GFI outlet which has a 15amp breaker I can run the 11000 BTU AC, but once in a while it will trip. Usually depends what else someone tries to turn on in the RV or lights on the same breaker.

When the AC starts up is the time it will usually trip the breaker, so if I turn it on and it stays on (breaker doesn't trip) I'll turn the thermostat down as low as possible so it stays on and never turns off until I don't need the AC anymore. Open the door if you want to warm up.. Wasteful, but only done during packing/unpacking/cleaning.
Old 05-27-2021, 10:14 AM   #4

I have read more issues with running the A/C while on a 15a circuit, and less issues while on a circuit that is protected with a 20a breaker. As Grumpy stated, in addition the RV needs to be a circuit where other appliances are not on that same circuit and running as well. ~CA
Old 05-27-2021, 12:39 PM   #5

Make sure there are no other draws inside the camper. I would plug it in and make sure your batteries were fully charged before trying the AC. A soft start would also help. If it does run I would check the plug at the wall for overheating after a few minutes. Also, listen to it and if it runs slower than normal I would shut it off and not try it again until you can get a 20 amp or better circuit.
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2021, 07:30 PM   #6

I have been running mine on a gfci 20amp outlet. Some lights on and radio with no problems. I believe my ac is a 13000 btu. Just go for it. All it will do is trip the breaker and then you’ll know.
TimNicky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 07:48 PM   #7

A/C Soft Start

Recently had an A/C soft start unit installed in anticipation of staying at relatives homes on our summer trip. We are now in St. George, Utah & temp is very hot! A/C has been running all day & struggling to cool a 29.6 Jayco Redhawk 26XD rig? A/C used to freeze us out but now can’t seem to cool the unit. We have all shades closed, windshield area of truck is covered & have done everything we can to minimize cooling loss! My question is does soft start compromise the A/C efficiency? Could they have done something during install to lose Freon from the system? Air coming out feels cold but not as cold as previously! Hope I’ve given enough information. Thanks for your opinions.
jkkinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 08:07 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkkinder View Post
My question is does soft start compromise the A/C efficiency? Could they have done something during install to lose Freon from the system? Air coming out feels cold but not as cold as previously! Hope I’ve given enough information. Thanks for your opinions.
Short answer is NO, the install would have nothing to do with the amount of Freon in your system. All it does is soften the start up of the compressor.

Did you install it or someone else? If you installed it did you notice the green light come on after startup? If you feel cold air then your compressor is running as it should.

There are videos on YouTube to show you how to improve the cooling from your AC. The best improvement I made was installing the RV Airflow product into my AC…doubled the airflow throughout my trailer.

Route 66 Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2021, 05:35 AM   #9

I was able to run ours on a 20A circuit but not 15A (A/C and a few lights). I was able to reach it with the TT power cord and my RV extension cord connected to my dog-bone adapter. My shop extension cords are not nearly heavy duty enough (weed eater, fans, work lights and the like is all they’re good for).

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2021, 06:39 AM   #10

We run the air (only one) in our 32KBS while plugged into 20amp at home with no problem. Just don't turn on the microwave or electric WH while running it.
finalcountdn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2021, 07:31 AM   #11

You should not run a long 14 gage extension cord. Check the voltage from one of your camper’s outlets while the AC compressor is running. If it is lower than normal, turn the AC off. Low voltage can ruin electronics (TV) and AC.
2014 Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost
skids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2021, 12:57 PM   #12

Just in the process of setting up my trailer's 13,500 btu a/c on my house's 15amp outlet. The house outlet is direct to the power panel so nothing else on that house breaker. Only a few led lights being used in the trailer. I turn off the a/c when wanting to use the microwave or coffee pot. The fridge is on propane.

Using an hd 12awg extension cord from the house not the usual 14awg.
The a/c would just pop the breaker until I installed a Softstart. The Softstart allows the a/c to run but only on low not high.
I get a 10 degree drop but that's all on low.

FWIW,
cheers Ted
TedsCanoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2021, 07:39 AM   #13

I can tell you that there is significant voltage loss AFTER the soft start does its thing when using a 100-ft 12 gage extension cord (not saying that is what you use). I suspect that the short duration of compressor start-up is not as detrimental to sensitive electronics as continual running of the AC. The compressor will work harder drawing more amps when the temperature outside is high.
2014 Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost
skids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2021, 01:54 PM   #14

A/C on a household breaker

There's a little more to this than is being posted. At absolute minimum, you shouldn't run it on a 15 amp breaker. Any RV A/C unit is designed to run on a 30 amp circuit. The A/C unit need at least 20 amps to run correctly. The additional 10 will allow you to run lights, bathroom fan and a toaster or microwave. What's really important is to not run the trailer cord through an adapter to an extension cord that is too long and/or too small a gage. Best to plug the adapter directly into the outlet with out an additional cord.

Small diameter cord that's too long = too much voltage drop=bad for A/C

OK...that's my 2 cents...RJ
RRRRRRJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 12:52 PM   #15

In additional to the previous replies with good infomation, I suggest getting a inexpensive plugin voltage meter. Plug it in to rv wall outlet. Normal voltage is 115-120volts. When running the ac, if the voltage drops below 108 volts turn off the ac or any other appliance(Refer on electric,WH on electric[URL="In additional to the previous replies I suggest getting a inexpensive plugin voltage meter. Plug it in to rv wall outlet. Normal voltage is 115-120volts. When running the ac, if the voltage drops below 108 volts turn off the ac or any other appliance(Referigator on electric, WH on electric). Check your big box stores cost is $10-20.
Dave55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 12:58 PM   #16

+1 to not using a non-RV extension cord unless it's rated to take the amperage.

Some people think that their breaker will save them. When using a lower-rated extension cord, your breaker doesn't help you at all. The breaker only trips when you exceed the rating of the wires in your house. If your extension is rated lower, then it can burn up without the wiring in your house even reaching capacity.

rewen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 01:17 PM   #17

What size is your AC?

I have a 174BH and I have verified that I can run my AC on my Jackery 500 with not issues, it will only run for a few hours on a full charge, so not something I would do, but it is an option.

As others have pointed out, if you do try to run it on an extension cord, that is just one part to worry about. Don't forget about the wires inside your walls. If you are pulling a lot of amps to run the AC, those wires can get hot as well, and if the outlet you use is at the end of a long run with several splices in it, you could be creating an unknown fire hazard! Remember, every place the cable has been sliced to add another outlet/switch, that is a place heat will be generated, so be careful what outlet you choose to use.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaycobro View Post
I was wondering if I can run my AC while plugged into a traditional house outlet?

Current Camper - 2019 Jayco 174BH
fisduki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 02:36 PM   #18

Also keep in mind that the length of the extension cord comes into play. A 50' 12awg is close to a 100' 10awg in its ability to carry the same current (and has a close voltage drop). So keep the extension cord as short as possible.

I highly recommend only using RV style extension cords, same as the main RV cable and then use an adapter only at the outlet, and with that, I would not even try to run a 15K A/C off of anything less than a 20a outlet perhaps a 13.5K and even then, I would certainly monitor the voltage at the RV (I use a plug in digital voltage meter for this purpose) and I would not recommend running the A/C if the voltage was ~<106v while the A/C is running.
Old 06-11-2021, 08:02 AM   #19

How far is your electrical panel from the receptacle you're planning on using? My garage is about 60' from my panel and the 15A circuit (#14 wire) wouldn't even run my beer fridge on hot days. I solved the problem by putting a sub panel in the garage; I can now run my AC on a 50' #12 extension cord with no problem.

It would be somewhat unusual for any of your original outdoor or garage receptacles to be on a 20A circuit. Those are usually used only in kitchens and bathrooms. When they wire a new house they don't spend a penny more than they have to!
Old 06-22-2021, 09:38 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaycobro View Post
I added a 30 amp breaker to my house breaker box and ran a wire under the house to the drive way and installed a 30 amp plug just for the motor home. Plug it in and it is just like being at a camp ground., everything works
I have my fridge on auto so it will switch itself to electric and save propane while hooked up at home.
1SGPETE is offline   Reply With Quote