Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-04-2018, 02:31 PM   #1

Can't Decide, Opinions Wanted!

I know I have to decide for myself but it's painful! I'm looking at two 2018 White Hawk 28RL trailers. One is local and one is three hours away. I talked about the dilemma in the reference number thread I started but with that thread title I'm not sure if I'll get a lot of feedback, so if you have any opinions on the following options please give them to me:

- Power stabilizers, local one has them, distant one doesn't. I'm leaning toward the simplicity and reliability of the manual ones.

- Kitchen skylight, local one has it, distant one doesn't. I'm leaning toward no skylight because of potential leaks and loss of heat/cool.

- Outside shower, local one has it, distant one doesn't. Have never used the one in my current TT in the last 5 years. The table between the two recliners hides the shower plumbing I believe so the table has a panel instead of a cabinet door on the interior side which looks stupid to me.

- Glacier package. Distant one has it, local one doesn't. Don't know if it really helps with maintaining internal temperature (hot or cold) but I'd rather have it than not.

Both have similar MSRPs. The distant guy has come down to 33% off and the local is down to 30% off. Local unit has been on the lot since Dec of 2017, not sure on the other one.

My wife prefers the darker recliner, couch and dinette upholstery in the local one. If she liked the distant one better (that we haven't seen in person) it would be a lot easier for me to decide (she's leaving it up to me)!!
sodface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 02:44 PM   #2

For sure buy the one you like best but consider this: Dealers are under no obligation to give you preferential treatment for warranty service if you did not buy the rig from them. In other words, if you buy from the distant dealer and down the road need warranty service chances are if you call the local dealer you'll be told you have to go to the end of the service line and wait your turn. Alternatively, dealers will normally make an effort to put people who bought from them at the head of the service line. The difference could be extra MONTHS of down time waiting for warranty service.
Russ661 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 03:08 PM   #3

Send a message via Skype™ to ALJO
It is a large depreciating investment, don't rush yourself. See the other Trailer also together with your wife. Then make an informed decision. It helps when you can do small repairs yourself for the warranty situation.
Pro Series 1200 lbs. WDH with Double Sway Bar.
Champion 3100/2800 watt Inverter/Generator-Onboard Solar Power
ALJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 04:25 PM   #4

Agree that you should see the other trailer before making a decision.

From experience:
- the skylight lets in a lot of heat. A previous TT had one and we ended up making a shade for it, but there was still a lot heat
- my preference is the manual jacks vs electric. Doesn’t take much longer to put the manual ones down, and IMHO you have better control
- in almost five years we’ve used the outside shower once, and that was just to rinse of the dog. Could have just easily put her in the shower

Warranty work is certainly also a consideration. Our dealer is about two hours away, which can be a pain in the neck, but they are fantastic, so worth the trip. Of course they are the only “local” dealer so we don’t really have a choice
robkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 07:01 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by sodface View Post
I know I have to decide for myself but it's painful! I'm looking at two 2018 White Hawk 28RL trailers. One is local and one is three hours away. I talked about the dilemma in the reference number thread I started but with that thread title I'm not sure if I'll get a lot of feedback, so if you have any opinions on the following options please give them to me:

- Power stabilizers, local one has them, distant one doesn't. I'm leaning toward the simplicity and reliability of the manual ones.

- Kitchen skylight, local one has it, distant one doesn't. I'm leaning toward no skylight because of potential leaks and loss of heat/cool.

- Outside shower, local one has it, distant one doesn't. Have never used the one in my current TT in the last 5 years. The table between the two recliners hides the shower plumbing I believe so the table has a panel instead of a cabinet door on the interior side which looks stupid to me.

- Glacier package. Distant one has it, local one doesn't. Don't know if it really helps with maintaining internal temperature (hot or cold) but I'd rather have it than not.

Both have similar MSRPs. The distant guy has come down to 33% off and the local is down to 30% off. Local unit has been on the lot since Dec of 2017, not sure on the other one.

My wife prefers the darker recliner, couch and dinette upholstery in the local one. If she liked the distant one better (that we haven't seen in person) it would be a lot easier for me to decide (she's leaving it up to me)!!
Get the power stabilizers, their nice and if you ever have trouble with them they can be operated manually easily.

Skylights are nice in the spring and fall but not summer.

We've used our outside shower once in 6 years.

Get the glacier package.

Buying local is important for any warranty work you can't handle.

Bottom line is get what the 2 of you really want because it's a big investment.
Good luck.
TCNashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 09:12 PM   #6

Thanks for all the replies, except you're not making it any easier!

I keep telling myself, "there's no such thing as the perfect trailer". I sort of remember all the hand wringing I did over the TT we have now, but after we bought it we just sort of went with it, no looking back. Hopefully that's how the next one goes though it'll be twice the price if we buy one of the two we're looking at now.
Old 08-04-2018, 11:51 PM   #7

I’d go look at the distant one with money in your pocket. If you like it, make the dealer give you a reason to leave with the camper, an extra % off etc. . Also check the born on date on the tires. The glacier package would be nice to keep the cool in the summer and heat in the winter. Worst case, flip a coin, have your wife call it, that way she can’t blame you if you make the wrong decision.
Old 08-05-2018, 06:53 AM   #8

Seriously everyone, thanks for the input, appreciate you all stopping by the thread and commenting and you all make good points. I liked robkelly's comment the best so far but I think that's because it reinforces what I was thinking on the options but then TCNashville has me second guessing again

The number of comments about using the local dealer because of warranty work does give me pause. I'm a pretty handy guy but if there's something major or something that would require parts I would definitely take advantage of the warranty if it was covered, regardless of whether I thought I could fix it or not.

Then there's the 2019's coming out now... I sure do like that 50th anniversary spare tire cover.
Old 08-05-2018, 08:03 AM   #9

Let me make this easy for you. Your wife left it up to you. What she meant was, it's up to you to get the one she wants. Lmbo
'14 Denali XL
cekkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 01:15 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by cekkk View Post
Let me make this easy for you. Your wife left it up to you. What she meant was, it's up to you to get the one she wants. Lmbo
LOL

Here's the two interior choices. My wife likes the darker one and I guess I kind of agree. I wish the other trailer had the same interior but I don't really dislike either of them. You can see what I mean about the door vs the panel on the table between the chairs because of the outside shower.
Attached Thumbnails
1_2167_2300454_54360083.jpg   IMAG1258.jpg  
Old 08-05-2018, 01:33 PM   #11

Curious whats the price difference?
bdreinv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 04:31 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdreinv View Post
Curious whats the price difference?
The local one is $28,500 out the door with a new WD hitch.

The distant one is $27,300 out the door, no extras and a 6 hour round trip drive which is probably around $100 in gas.
Old 08-05-2018, 08:16 PM   #13

I have a 2018 with the tan colored furniture. I looked at both, and given they both have the same dark wood, the lighter furniture is better for us. Outside shower is good when in rainy weather, nice to hose off muddy items outside. Also great for de-greasing the BBQ. The 28RL is one of the nicest floor plans in this length.
Old 08-05-2018, 08:35 PM   #14

Where are you?
That could matter.

Otherwise, I'd go for the distant one.

I don't care for skylights or the heat they generate.
I've yet to use an outdoor shower, though every unit ive owned had one. Just a place for freezing to occur.

The glacier package makes the slide much more comfortable in all kinds of weather.
Vaquero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 09:17 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaquero View Post
Where are you?
That could matter.
South Carolina.
Old 08-05-2018, 10:29 PM   #16

Based on what you’ve said I’d go with the local. There aren’t enough differences that would motivate me to drive six hours (there and back), especially given what has been mentioned about getting service when you need it. So unless the Glacier package is a must have (you’ll be camping in the winter) I stay local. We have a skylight with shade in our 28RLS and with the shade closed you get some light but not much heat. It’s sealed and like everything else on the roof will have to be periodically check and resealed if needed so that wouldn’t be a major concern for us.

If the Glacier package is a must have and the service issue isn’t a major issue I won’t worry about things like a skylight or power stabilizers. You can use a battery powered drill and correct size socket to lower and raise the stabilizers. It gets the job done in seconds. We have an outside shower. Never use it.

Btw, I believe that cabinet between the recliners is where the electrical cord is stored when you push it back into the trailer. At least that’s where mine is one the 28RLS. There is a small wooden box on the right next to the recliner in the right side in the picture. That’s where the outside shower is located.

2018 Jayco 28RLS
2012 F-250 6.2L 3.73
Equalizer Hitch
Yamaha 2400ISHC
2edgesword is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 11:57 PM   #17

I thought the outside shower was part of the mandatory customer value package?
We use the outside shower on almost every trip and cannot imagine owning a rig without one. Just my .02
Old 08-06-2018, 04:29 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayson 197 View Post
I thought the outside shower was part of the mandatory customer value package?
We use the outside shower on almost every trip and cannot imagine owning a rig without one. Just my .02
You're right. That's confusing (and embarrassing). Outside shower is listed on both build sheets under the customer value package section. I've only looked at the local trailer twice. The lot it's on is gravel and has drainage problems so the first time I looked at it the back end was hovering over a deep puddle. The second time he had it pulled out and was supposed to have it hooked up to shore power but didn't, it was hot and I had to get back to work so I guess I was distracted and didn't stay long. When we were inside I asked him specifically about the panel vs door on the table and he said that's where the outside shower is so I assumed the other one must not have one. I need to get on the ball.

//edit, I found a couple pics attached that show that exterior section of the 28RL (not of either of the actual trailers though). Looks like the outside shower to me. Not a big deal I guess I was just wondering why one little table had a panel and one had a door.
Attached Thumbnails
2018-Jayco-White-Hawk-28RL-23808-66085.jpg   unit_photo_201711281000366314869201.JPG  
Old 08-06-2018, 11:00 AM   #19

Called Jayco and learned that the distant one is newer, built March 2018 vs July 2017 for the local one. She also said the glacier package sticker on the local one is a mistake as it's not on the work order.
Old 08-06-2018, 12:50 PM   #20

Go with the local one.
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH & B&W Companion
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote