Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-08-2018, 04:37 PM   #1

Can't find bypass on White Hawk 29FLS

I looked behind the water heater, inside under the sink. Removed a panel to get there but only found a switch and a hose that is apparently used to add the antifreeze. The rest of the compartment is filled with heating pipes.

Unless this contraption also works as the bypass, I'm stumped. My initial call to Jayco hasn't shed any light on the matter.

I know I'm looking for the H with three valves but I've looked behind everything I can easily get to on the water heater side of the trailer.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_5950.jpg  
CaptainVideo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 04:58 PM   #2

My 28RL does not have the typical 3/rd valve for the bipass either, but rather a bipass valve to shutoff water supply to the tank only, and then above that a valve to shutoff water from leaving the tank. During winterization I shutoff the valve to bipass the tank only, and it seems to have done the job. No antifreeze entered the tank, but I did have antifreeze coming through the hot water side of each faucet and shower.

2019 Whitehawk 28RL
2018 Ford F150 3.5 Ecoboost w/3.55

Dennis, Cindy, Philip, and Sarah
Ohiofinlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 06:21 PM   #3

The secret to winterizing the Jayco White Hawk 29FLS

OK, here's what the Jayco manual and Camping World (where we bought out 2018 Jayco White Hawk) don't tell you.

The contraption under the sink is actually for pumping the the antifreeze into the trailer. (Remove a few screws to remove the panel under the sink.) Just open the valve and stick the clear tube into your antifreeze and the system will pump antifreeze into the system when you turn on the faucets.

Finding the bypass for the water heater was a more complicated adventure. I finally found the two (not three) bypass valves behind the drawers. Between the drawer compartment and the heating pipes, I could only see the top valve but feeling around behind the opening for the bottom drawer I finally found the bottom bypass valve. (IT SHOULDN'T BE THIS HARD!)
Attached Thumbnails
image002.jpg  
Attached Images

Old 11-14-2018, 11:26 AM   #4

On my 2018 Whitehawk 23MRB I went to winterize and found under the sink one valve and one more for the adding of antifreeze. I called my dealer and at first they said it should have two valves but i could only find one. He checked with another tech and then said sometimes Jayco only uses one valve to go ahead and put the antifreeze in. I did, antifreeze went to cold side only. I called them back and was assured this time it definitely had two valves to look harder. I ran my hands down the hot water lines at the top of the tank and pulled outwards hoping not to break it, sure enough there was another valve there facing the wrong way and embedded in the styrofoam covering the hot water heater. I turned it and finished up winterizing. It is amazing how they can get by installing so many things backwards like they are hiding them. Oh well, all is well that ends well!
Old 11-14-2018, 03:38 PM   #5

Here is a picture of the one valve I can see behind the drawers. You'd think they could do a better job designing something more accessible.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_5962.jpg  
Old 11-14-2018, 03:41 PM   #6

I'm new to Jayco but I must say I'm VERY disappointed in the manual that came with my new trailer. Spend half this much on a new car and you get a manual that is specific to the vehicle you bought. My manual is VERY general with no details on basics like where the bypass valves are located. Not to mention the poor design that hides something so important. And like you, I didn't get much help for their phone support.