Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Go Back   Jayco RV Owners Forum > Trailers, 5th Wheels, and Motorhomes > Jayco Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 11-28-2021, 08:21 AM   #1

Question Can't find the beep... and I'm going crazy! 2021 Jay Feather 24BH

I know, it's like finding a needle in a stack of needles, but something is beeping and I can't find it. It is not as loud as the smoke alarm or carbon monoxide detectors and, worst part, it is not consistent or frequent. I have been unable to tie it to a specific action such as turning on the water faucet makes a beep or opening the freezer door makes a beep, etc.

Happens on battery and on shore power.

Sounds like it is coming from the kitchen/living room area where most of the "stuff" is located.

"Things" that can beep and what I've found:

1. Microwave
    1. Unplugged it so that problem is gone
  2. Dometic refrigerator (when the gas doesn't ignite)
    1. Is running on electric and no way to disable gas but I can put it in gas only mode.
    2. Switched between gas and electric and it starts and runs just fine.
    3. Have not eliminated this as a culprit.
  3. Fridge Defend (if it errors or detects an error)
    1. Ran the unit through self diagnostics and everything checks out. Reviewed error code history and there are no errors written to persistent memory. Ever.
    2. Have not eliminated this as a culprit.
  4. Accurite temperature monitor
    1. Alarms are disabled because of the wide range of temperature fluctuations within the RV fridge. Just using this as a "window" into the inside freezer and fridge temps.
  5. Pelonis floor heater
    1. Will beep when pressing buttons or if the unit falls over.
  6. Breaker panel with charge controller
    1. Had "day one" issues with this entire unit (the former unit). Was replaced with a brand new unit on day one and haven't had problems since.
    2. I went through the PD4500 troubleshooting and install guide. Tested voltages, tested the charge controller, tested each circuit and the unit is putting out the correct amount of voltage per the troubleshooting guide. No error LEDs.
    3. Have not eliminated this as a culprit.
  7. Smoke alarm
    1. Replaced batteries and the beep from this is ear piercing when it trips.
  8. Carbon Monoxide detector (1) - living room
    1. Green LEDs. No low battery.
  9. Carbon Monoxide detector (2) - bed room
    1. Replaced batteries and the beep from this is ear piercing when it trips.
Things that I have never heard "beep" before but putting this out there just in case:
  1. Solar charge controller in the living room - GP-PWM-30-SQ
  2. JayCommand BM Pro installed above the living room TV.
  3. Water pump under the sink.
  4. Hot water heater under the sink.

Based on where the inconsistent and sporadic "beep" is coming from, I think it is the fridge, Fridge Defend, or breaker panel/charge controller. However, as I mentioned above, I've tested everything and "all systems are go."

Ideas, thing I should check, should I just turn on the radio 24x7? Thanks in advance!
gobdeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2021, 10:33 AM   #2

Check your battery voltage level. A low battery will cause a beep.

It is not uncommon for new RV's to have a bad battery.
1996 Viking Pop-up
1979 Coleman 8 man cabin tent
1967 G.I Joe (hasbro) canvas pup tent
THE MEEKER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2021, 10:37 AM   #3
CAG

Do you have a leveling system? If so and it is on, turn it off. That will reset it.

CAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2021, 11:11 AM   #4
Site Team

Take a listen to your electronic devices, Computers, network devices (Wi-Fi, router, etc.), mobile devices, radios, cameras, camcorders, UPS, watches... (to name a few). Since you say the “beep” is somewhat soft, check inside drawers, cabinets, luggage, briefcases, purses.

RVs today, have a lot more “Gizmos” with alarms than our vintage 2000 Jayco Eagle, making this search a lot easer for us. Good luck!

TV: 2009 GMC Sierra 2500HD | Crew Cab | Std. Box | 4WD | Duramax/Allison
RV: 2000 Jayco Eagle 266 | FBS | TT
PREVIOUS: 1986 Coleman Laramie pop-up -- Still in the family!!!

FPM III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2021, 11:47 AM   #5
Site Team

If you are married ask her for help. In my experience, my wife can locate the noise before I even hear it!

Good luck!
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2021, 11:55 AM   #6

All good ideas and responses. Thanks!

RE: battery. What should be the normal battery voltage range? I have two and will disconnect then check each on independently.

Edit: Battery 1 is reading 12.68. Battery 2 is reading 12.80. Both were a little low so I added some distilled water. Solar charger, when connected, is reading a total of 13.4 "fully charged".

RE: leveling system. I have a "10 year old" leveling system meaning my 10 year old gets out and cranks down the manual jacks.

RE: electronics. Yeah, I have a lot of stuff. Wondering if I should kill all the breakers, pull the fuses, and bring each circuit up one by one.

RE: married. Yes, I'm married, but might not be if I task her with this chore.
Old 11-28-2021, 01:10 PM   #7

Another line of thought, not used iPad, phone, Kindle, Nook, etc in a drawer not part of your trailer.
Old 11-28-2021, 05:14 PM   #8

I had a mystery beep that I thought was the CO indicator. Looked at the manual and even called them. Would go off when I ran it monthly during storage. Could not figure it out until I went on a trip and tried to level. No dice. Went on line here and found out about the reset and it was fine. Battery ran low at one point and that caused the low voltage that set this off.
Old 11-28-2021, 05:18 PM   #9

Something not on your list was the propane detector.
GuanoJuano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2021, 08:48 PM   #10
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by gobdeep View Post
Edit: Battery 1 is reading 12.68. Battery 2 is reading 12.80. Both were a little low so I added some distilled water. Solar charger, when connected, is reading a total of 13.4 "fully charged".
Both of your voltage readings are good. A battery that's been allowed to "rest" for a while after disconnecting should read 12.6 or a little more.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2021, 05:27 AM   #11

Yeah, sorry, I listed it as the CO detector. I realized it is a multi-use unit: CO and propane.

As GABob mentioned, I'll try to reset that device today.
Old 11-29-2021, 05:29 AM   #12

Really good ideas and strategies and I appreciate it. My next course of action is to reset the CO/propane detector.

I work from home so I think I'll work from the travel trailer this week and see if the alarm creeps up again. If it does, I'll turn off all breakers and pull the fuses then go one-by-one until the issue reappears.

I'll also try to capture a time between beeps. Maybe there is a regular pattern and it is just spaced out hours on end.
Old 11-29-2021, 06:56 AM   #13

The aged out separate propane detector's occasional beep drove me to distraction until my wife found the cause. $56, yes, that much, helped me regain some sanity. (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1)

2011 F250 CCLB, 6.7 w/Puck System plus Slide in camper option,

2014 Montana 343RL (Just sold it)
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2021, 01:26 PM   #14

I've been working out of the travel trailer all day and... it finally beeped. It happened when the solar controller went from "charging" to "fully charged" but I can't tell if it came from the solar controller or the charge controller in the breaker box. After this happened, I intentionally ran on battery so that the solar controller would charge back up but it never beeped again when it went to full. Neither did the charge controller (PD4560WI, by the way).

According to the GP-PWM-30-SQ documentation, there are no beeps to indicate errors or successes but it does beep if you press a button on the panel and, low and behold, that is what it sounds like. Wondering if maybe there is a fault in the solar controller panel and the hardware buttons on the front?

I'm sure "one day" I'll figure out what exactly it is but for now I'm satisfied that I'm not hearing the faint, early symptoms of a problem. I'm thinking it is probably one of the many undocumented "features" that come with travel trailer ownership.

And thanks to all of the many suggestions and ideas on this thread. Because of this, I have checked every sensor, human interface device, alarm, and controller I could find. Fresh batteries and "replace by" dates fully noted.
Old 11-29-2021, 05:20 PM   #15

Sorry if I wasn’t clear, but I reset the leveling system. That was it for me.
Old 11-30-2021, 04:13 PM   #16

Glad you at least narrowed it down. BTW I have a “64 year old leveling system” I just about chocked when I read that. Jay
Jay2504 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2021, 06:22 AM   #17

i have a 51 year old leveling system, i wanted to trade it in on a 25 year old leveler but my wife makes a lot more money than me and pays for all the toys lol
kwalsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2021, 01:39 PM   #18

If it is the 'aged out' beep on your propane alarm, there is not a test to check it other than to disconnect the wire and see if the beep problem is solved.

The beep once in a long while. Mine had to be replaced after 5 years, new one will be the same 5-year period.

Many fire and Carbon Monoxide alarms also age out, but mine that have malfunctioned beep constantly.
garywilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2021, 02:32 PM   #19

Where a hat made of tinfoil

Wearing a hat made of tinfoil will help.
kyleebrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2021, 03:31 PM   #20

Bdoc51

I had the same problem! Finally found it was a warning signal that the refrigerator door was not totally closed . I would tightly close it, but upon driving it would jiggle a little open again. I fixed it with a little Velcro tape !! Try it.
bdoc51 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
24bh, alarm, beep