Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-02-2020, 08:23 PM   #1

Can't get cable TV signal in 2018 Whitehawk

We've had our 2018 Greyhawk for a couple years but never had an opportunity to watch cable TV. Now we're in a KOA with a cable hook up and I don't know how the trailer is wired. There is one coax into the back of the TV for both antenna and cable. We've often watched TV from the antenna but now want to watch KOA cable. We're hooked into the campground cable via coax to the outside input. (I tried a couple cables to make sure a "bad cable" wasn't the problem.)

From what little I know about wiring, there ought to be a toggle somewhere that switches from the wire from the over the air antenna to the wire from the outside cable TV input. Any suggestions...

Just on more thing that wasn't covered in the walkthrough for the trailer.
CaptainVideo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 08:31 PM   #2

Do you have the antenna booster turned off?
Old 10-02-2020, 08:34 PM   #3

No. Is that the trick? I just learned how to turn it on on our last trip. You sure are the Johnny on the spot with your quick replies. Or maybe it should be Grumpy on the spot.
Old 10-02-2020, 09:06 PM   #4
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainVideo View Post
From what little I know about wiring, there ought to be a toggle somewhere that switches from the wire from the over the air antenna to the wire from the outside cable TV input. Any suggestions...

Actually, that switch over is on the TV itself. Go into the TV Menu and channel settings and change from Antenna to Cable, then you'll need to do a channel scan so the TV can find the cable channels.
RetiredOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2020, 08:13 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredOne View Post
Actually, that switch over is on the TV itself. Go into the TV Menu and channel settings and change from Antenna to Cable, then you'll need to do a channel scan so the TV can find the cable channels.
Well yea, you have to do that but also turn off the HD antennae probably behind the tv. Ours has a green light that glows when you're using the antennae. We just push the button and change tv settings over to cable to hook up to cable.
rkymntsno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2020, 08:24 AM   #6

Ironic; your user name is CaptainVideo!
Sounds like the ideas suggested above should do it. Also, the CG cable can be the problem, too. Either at the connection or the service itself could not be there at the pedestal.
sturgissteele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2020, 10:37 AM   #7
CAG

I posted this in the manual, misc section awhile back. It mainly is for those that want to hook up DISH or Directv but it gives you an idea of where each coax goes from the input.

https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/d...?do=file&id=91

CAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2020, 02:41 PM   #8
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkymntsno View Post
Well yea, you have to do that but also turn off the HD antennae probably behind the tv. Ours has a green light that glows when you're using the antennae. We just push the button and change tv settings over to cable to hook up to cable.

Grumpy already mentioned that in #2 above.
RetiredOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2020, 02:58 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredOne View Post
Grumpy already mentioned that in #2 above.
Not everyone knows where it's at. I just stated where ours is located.
rkymntsno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 12:55 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
Do you have the antenna booster turned off?
In our case this turned out to be the trick. Our Smart TV has a Cable TV choice but that appears to only work if you have a dedicated cable plugged in. Just turning off the booster (which Grumpy helped me find) did the trick for both TVs. So in our trailer it’s either cable or antenna but not both.
Old 10-06-2020, 08:21 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkymntsno View Post

same
Old 10-06-2020, 08:44 AM   #12

Quote:
In our case this turned out to be the trick. Our Smart TV has a Cable TV choice but that appears to only work if you have a dedicated cable plugged in. Just turning off the booster (which Grumpy helped me find) did the trick for both TVs. So in our trailer it’s either cable or antenna but not both.
Correct, the booster will now allow the signal to pass from the cable inlet to the TV if it is on. That's the way most if not all RVs are wired.

FYI, this is a VERY common question on here, so don't feel bad, you're far from the only one to have ever had this issue.

Glad you got it working!!

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 12:19 PM   #13

Quote:
We've had our 2018 Greyhawk for a couple years but never had an opportunity to watch cable TV. Now we're in a KOA with a cable hook up and I don't know how the trailer is wired. There is one coax into the back of the TV for both antenna and cable. We've often watched TV from the antenna but now want to watch KOA cable. We're hooked into the campground cable via coax to the outside input. (I tried a couple cables to make sure a "bad cable" wasn't the problem.)

Just on more thing that wasn't covered in the walkthrough for the trailer.
My TV also requires me to use the Menu button on the remote to bring up the “channels” option. I then must select cable or antenna. It will then do a channel scan and I am ready to go.
Fork in the road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 12:53 PM   #14

A related question...does the booster button (mine is located in the cabinet next to the TV) work for the other TVs in the RV as well? I'm able to get great reception at sites when I connect the cable on the main TV, but the two TVs in the bunks didn't seem to catch the signal - should state that I've never needed to turn the booster on.
Old 10-10-2020, 12:56 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by GABob View Post
A related question...does the booster button (mine is located in the cabinet next to the TV) work for the other TVs in the RV as well? I'm able to get great reception at sites when I connect the cable on the main TV, but the two TVs in the bunks didn't seem to catch the signal - should state that I've never needed to turn the booster on.
I would check the menu on each tv to determine if they are set up for cable or antenna.
Fork in the road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 01:14 PM   #16

Common problem, but ez fix. Our 2016 White Hawk TT same green light for the roof antenna. Good Luck, Happy camping!
Billandcarole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 04:16 PM   #17

Send a message via AIM to 2KOOL4U Send a message via Skype™ to 2KOOL4U
There is a push button that activates the cable. It is on outlet below your tv
2KOOL4U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 10:56 PM   #18

First RV we had came with Seiki (very cheap), TV’s. Our first time in Disney CG, in Fl, none of them worked while hooked up to CG coax, so I called for their tech to come take a look. He told me those Seiki TV’s are the only ones that don’t work on Disney’s modulated Direct TV! he even proved with his own monitor!
Johnynorthland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 09:15 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by sturgissteele View Post
Ironic; your user name is CaptainVideo!
Sounds like the ideas suggested above should do it. Also, the CG cable can be the problem, too. Either at the connection or the service itself could not be there at the pedestal.
35 years in broadcast earned me the handle but in those 35 years I was always learning something new. If I’d wired the trailer there would be a separate line for the cable or at least a switch. Now that I know what I’m dealing with, I may rewire. 🤪
Old 10-11-2020, 09:26 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnynorthland View Post
First RV we had came with Seiki (very cheap), TV’s. Our first time in Disney CG, in Fl, none of them worked while hooked up to CG coax, so I called for their tech to come take a look. He told me those Seiki TV’s are the only ones that don’t work on Disney’s modulated Direct TV! he even proved with his own monitor!
Those were probably missing a QAM tuner. Cheap TVs often don't have them. Early in HD digital, maybe cable companies provided HD over QAM and you didn't need a box to get some HD channels. Over time and their possible revenue stream from rental of the box, many no longer put HD channels on QAM.
Highlander is offline   Reply With Quote