Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-01-2014, 12:54 PM   #1

Lightbulb Canuck Newbee Mods a 184BH

I figured since I've been taking pics during my modifications, I might as well share them. I know that I enjoy looking at the work that others have done. Hope these are of assistance to someone!

So the first time I filled the fresh water tank and fired up the pump, I wasn't impressed. Noisy!, surging water pressure and nearly constant pump cycling... So I looked into what was going on and found this...

Not the best pic, but the suction hose going into the pump was kinked and the discharge wasn't straight. The mounting screws were so tight, the rubber isolators were compressed. The mechanic in me looked at this and said "Theres hardly any water volume in the system past the pump, no wonder I have pump cycling issues. I need an accumulator. I wonder if there is one made for RVs?" I was elated to see that one was available. So I picked one up, along with a pump silencing kit and repiped the suction line with PEX and remounted the pump with 4 "lightly torqued" screws.

What a difference! Pump doesn't cycle every time you turn on the sink, steady water pressure and super quiet! I was really surprised how much I'd cut down on the noise.

Ok, on to the next foreseeable problem... No fart fan! After much research on the old inter web, I settled on the Maxxair 7000. Built-in rain cover, 10 speeds with voltage clipping to reduce power consumption, and yes, a remote !

I picked up a 20 pack of LED panels off FleaBay and replaced the bulbs in every fixture, even the hood fan and exterior light. These work great and run much cooler than the 921s. Also threw a cover on the roof vent up front and put Command strip hooks everywhere...No pics, thats boring.

The bench seats and the lower bunk all utilize super thin plywood which flexes and doesn't feel too sturdy. Easy fix - cut another, slightly thicker piece to go on top of that one. Makes a world of difference when your scooting into the bench with the table up! I also threw some thumb holes in them to make removal easier.

Now, the best thing that I've done to date was stiffen up the frame for the Table/Bed. On our first trip, I slept like crap. Every time I turned over or moved, I was greeted with a loud squeaking/rubbing sound. I planned and executed my moves like a Ninja, to roll over quietly. When we got home, I investigated the framework which holds up the table top. I was surprised that Jayco didn't do a better job supporting the bed. It was so flimsy that I'm amazed that my wife and I didn't break it and come crashing to the floor. Luckily, that too was an easy fix- some 1x2s and 1x4s, Chicago bolts, particle board screws and a lil dark wood stain...Add bracing in the front to carry the load down to the floor and bracing in the back to tie it together.
http://i958.photobucket.com/albums/ae68/sdallyn2/IMG_2519_zps3072e316.jpg[/IMG]

[/URL]
What a world of difference a few properly spaced pieces of wood can make! I slept like a baby and felt better knowing that I wasn't going to wake up on the floor.

Well, thats a start. I'm sure I'll be adding more soon. I'll be tackling a second battery install shortly...
Old 07-02-2014, 11:43 AM   #2

Looks good. Our 281BHS will be getting an accumulator tank soon. I am getting a 4 gallon one for residential purposes though. Should be enough water to last the night with the pump turned off.

Cheers
Old 07-02-2014, 12:47 PM   #3

Funny you mention the kink in the water line. My folks bought a used Eagle last year. Had low water pressure. Opened it up to find out they had an intake hose bent and kinked all around. I swapped it out with another and straightened it. Works great now.
UPCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 12:52 PM   #4

Nice work on the mods!.....good common sense fixes!
Threebutchers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 09:55 PM   #5

wow looks cool....im gonna steal the support idea for the bed! anymore pics of that?
Socalken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 11:18 PM   #6

WoW, I really like what you did so far and these things need to be added to my list. That accumulator is the perfect fix for the most annoying thing in the whole "TT" industry. Time to drop everything and get that PIA fixed thanks to you. We all owe you a beer for that one!
Tunce the traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 02:30 AM   #7

Thumbs up

The accumulator gets a "thumbs up" from me, as well!
Old 07-08-2014, 12:22 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socalken View Post
wow looks cool....im gonna steal the support idea for the bed! anymore pics of that?
I'll try to take some more pics later this week for you.
Old 07-08-2014, 03:59 PM   #9

thanks!
Old 07-08-2014, 05:17 PM   #10

Good job! Nice work too!!
Old 07-21-2014, 10:10 PM   #11

Quote:
Just this one really-
Basically I cut stiles to fit between the floor and the underside of the rail that the table rests on (in the bed position.) I stained them with whatever dark that I had kicking around. Then on the backside, cut a stile to fit inside the rails of the seat. Secure them together by using Chicago bolts. I did three on each side. The ones in front of the water tank are a little tricky, but do-able. I also threw in some extra screws to supplement the factory ones. These ones go into the bed rail from the inside of the storage compartments. I was amazed how few they put in.

Hope that helps!
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_2629.jpg  
Old 07-21-2014, 10:30 PM   #12

Perfect thanks!
Old 07-22-2014, 12:39 AM   #13

Have to went after the 2nd battery yet?
Old 07-22-2014, 08:24 AM   #14

Quote:
Have to went after the 2nd battery yet?
Not yet. I did find Trojan T-105s at a local battery store for $160 ea. That was a way better price than I had expected. Unfortunately, we just bought a mattress topper, step rugs and stabilizers, a new shower head, water filter, propane campfire and an LED strip light...So my better half has requested that I stop spending money! At least for now.
Old 07-22-2014, 11:00 PM   #15

what mattress topper did you get? is the led strip for the canopy? what did you get?
Old 03-12-2015, 06:15 PM   #16

Sorry for the delay Socalken:
I can't remember what brand the topper was. It came from the local Costco and was damn near a perfect fit.

Yes, the LED strip did get put on the canopy. This is the one I used:

Amazon.com: Abco Tech 16.4Ft Smd 5050 Waterproof Rgb Flexible Led Strip Light Lamp Kit + 44Key Ir Remote Controller: Home Improvement

Sorry, more pics and updates to follow... Wife says its time for dinner
Old 03-12-2015, 07:30 PM   #17

Nice work on the mods. Keep em coming
fielro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 08:36 PM   #18

So in preparation for this years camping trips, I tackled two more items on my wish list. The first was correcting the woefully inadequate means that Jayco used to secure the propane tank to the A-frame. You know, the two bolts through the foot ring?? How absurd. I ordered a proper tank support bracket from a local Forklift repair shop. It fit nicely within the frame rails. To mount it, I just bolted the plate to the existing rails which the tank sat in. I cut four 1" long spacers out of square tube to keep the rails from twisting.

No more monkeying around with the nuts and bolts when I need to remove the tank. Just release the latch and your done.

Next item is the standard upgrade to Dual 6V batteries. I had been putting off this expense, but we're planning on a week long stay at a site without power. I settled on a pair of Trojan T-105 Plus from my local battery store. He also supplied the end-to-end tub and the 1' long cable to connect the batteries. I was happy to have found everything just a mile from home and support a local store. The tub just fit within the existing frame rails for the battery. I did have to relocate the propane regulator to the side as the hose which goes to the TT interfered with the lid. The only laborious part of this job was replacing one of the battery rails which was barely welded to the frame. It would have been good enough for one light Group 24, but those T-105s are 62 Lbs each. I couldn't see it lasting long down a bumpy road.

The problem: Angle iron cut too short, only lightly welded on the bottom.

The solution: Cut new angle iron and welded on both the horizontal and vertical.

The result. Sorry for the bad pics, I took it just as I was dropping the TT at the storage lot.

Old 04-09-2015, 09:21 PM   #19

I love the supports you added and the detailed pics! That was our biggest complaint on our first trip out with the 184BH! Thanks!
Cdncowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 10:33 PM   #20

Another little upgrade... Cut holes under the lower bunk and the bench seat nearest the door Fab'd up some doors to cover them and added some support around the holes. Now I don't have to lift everything off the top reach the storage space beneath. Its great for the frequently used stuff. The doors are 12" x 20" IIRC.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_3368.jpg   IMG_3369.jpg   IMG_3370.jpg   IMG_3371.jpg