Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-07-2018, 07:43 PM   #1

Carefree Awning Stabiliz'r, Anyone?

If there's anything that makes me paranoid, it's leaving our awning extended in weather. Our 2016 Jay Feather 23RLSW came with a Carefree electric awning, an OEM version similar to the Travel'r. It's very sensitive to wind; a friend of ours lost his to a sudden gust of wind. Carefree and Jayco say do not tie this awning down, and I can understand that.

However, Colorado Carefree now has a support pole product called the Awning Stabiliz'r, designed for several awnings, including the Travel'r. The documentation says they're for use "during periods of prolonged usage or extended stays at your campsite". That sounds pretty good to me!

"OldCoot" from the Forest River forums used to sell pole kits that he made himself. This appears to be pretty much the same thing. It cradles the roll-up tube at both ends, with tie downs to keep everything in place.

Question is, has anyone used the Colorado Carefree product, and what's been your experience? BTW, price looks pretty reasonable, less than $60 before shipping.

Thanks!

Roger

TV 2010 Ford F-150 Supercab
TT 2016 Jay Feather 23RLSW
rkresge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 09:02 PM   #2
Site Team

I have not used them but I see more and more electrics awnings that are staked out.

Some have homemade poles that vary from crude to ingenious.

I have been in one spot for a week and mine is fully extended day and night. If any wind was experienced, I would roll it up.

That said, I may look into a method of securing mine. IMO the arms are the weak spot on the electrics. If they were meant to withstand heavy weather they would be stronger.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 09:14 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
I have not used them but I see more and more electrics awnings that are staked out.

Some have homemade poles that vary from crude to ingenious.

I have been in one spot for a week and mine is fully extended day and night. If any wind was experienced, I would roll it up.

That said, I may look into a method of securing mine. IMO the arms are the weak spot on the electrics. If they were meant to withstand heavy weather they would be stronger.
Absolutely agree about the arms. I have never liked the idea of just tying the awning down, because of the strain that puts on the mounts where it's fastened to the trailer. I really do like the idea of poles to support it, plus ties to keep it down.

Last summer I saw a Class A at our campground that had an entire awning ripped off by wind. Not sure whether it was tied down, but it wasn't pretty. I never did get a look at the type of awning.

Roger

Old 02-07-2018, 11:30 PM   #4

I have a sunscreen that prevents the awning from flying up, but doesn’t do much for down pressure. Have been looking for something to support it.
2003 Jayco Kiwi 23B (sold)
1991 Jayco Cardinal SD 14 foot pop up. (Sold)

2014 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab LT Z71 5.3L 4WD
stevenl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 04:26 AM   #5
Lost in the Woods

We tie the awning down with a couple auger screws in the ground with eyelets and ratchet straps. However we DO NOT tie it tight because it strains the mounting points. We tie it with about 1" of slack and then put on a big rubber band to keep it taut and take up the slack. When the wind blows it can move 1" and then it's stopped by the straps. Simple, easy and takes 5 minutes.

I've seen a really great idea as well. You cross-drill the arm and the receiver bolted to the RV so that you can make a piece to bridge the gap and prevent up or down movement. You just use lynch pins (like we use on the tractor) and you're good to go. I'm going to do that next, because the straps don't help with down force from wind.
RayBo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 06:12 AM   #6

Curious if the awning industry will ever attempt to follow a patio table design which has a vent portal added for wind gusts. Might get a tad bulky rolling up that style and cause them to beef up the arms at the same time.
Old 02-08-2018, 07:02 AM   #7

Carefree selling poles and ties to correct the wimpy Travel'r is a lot like Norcold selling metal hinge supports to correct their wimpy refrigerator door design.
There's lots of advice and information in forums... sometimes it is correct. For example, all of my posts are made by a political appointee who got the job as a reward for contributions to my diesel bill.

2011 Jayco 28.5RLS; 2021 Chevy Duramax; Pullrite Superglide Hitch

RVhiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 07:18 AM   #8

Only thing I can say about using supports on the roller tube is to make sure the awning has good pitch. I saw a guy using 2x4's on his roller tube to strap the awning down. It started raining hard and the center of the awning was filling up fast. He actually took a knife and cut the awning down the center before it collapsed.

2014 Ram Dually 6.7 Diesel
2016 North Point 375BHFS
shadester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 07:37 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVhiker View Post
Carefree selling poles and ties to correct the wimpy Travel'r is a lot like Norcold selling metal hinge supports to correct their wimpy refrigerator door design.
I'm on my second Jayco - first was a 2014 SLX 165RB that had the manual awning with built-in poles. Had I realized when I was buying my current Jay Feather how wimpy this awning is, it would have been a subject for negotiation.

Roger

Old 02-08-2018, 07:40 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenl View Post
I have a sunscreen that prevents the awning from flying up, but doesn’t do much for down pressure. Have been looking for something to support it.
You might like this particular product. Looking back, I should have included the link with my original post. Here it is:

Awning Stabiliz'r - Carefree of Colorado

Roger

Old 02-08-2018, 07:49 AM   #11

We purchased Camco's 42593 Awning Tie Down kit for our Colorado Carefree awning. It states it is for both electric and manual awnings. Our seasonal site is across from a farm and it is not unusual for us to have 10 - 15 mph winds on our site regularly. The tie downs were a must.

The key to this kit is the springs. It allows the awning to move safely in gusty winds. The 7" springs are very stiff and hold tight with smaller wind gusts. We had a really bad storm roll through a few years ago that destroyed the springs, but saved our awning. The springs can be bought separately.

We now own a TT with a manual awning. We use the tie downs with the manual awning, but I think they worked better on the electric awning.

-Michael
michael.g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 08:22 AM   #12
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael.g View Post
We purchased Camco's 42593 Awning Tie Down kit for our Colorado Carefree awning. It states it is for both electric and manual awnings. Our seasonal site is across from a farm and it is not unusual for us to have 10 - 15 mph winds on our site regularly. The tie downs were a must.

The key to this kit is the springs. It allows the awning to move safely in gusty winds. The 7" springs are very stiff and hold tight with smaller wind gusts. We had a really bad storm roll through a few years ago that destroyed the springs, but saved our awning. The springs can be bought separately.

We now own a TT with a manual awning. We use the tie downs with the manual awning, but I think they worked better on the electric awning.

-Michael
The Camco were a must for manual awnings with a down pole that could be detached from the rv and anchored to the ground. This kit would help keep wind from picking it up and the poles would keep it from going down.

Either can tear up an awning quickly.

The Carefree kit may work well for my electric awning. Looking at the parts breakdown, it could be made by an enterprising rv'er from local parts but the price looks reasonable.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote