Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-23-2018, 02:00 PM   #1

Carefree Awning wont Extend

Hi Guys,

Was wondering if anyone else has had this issue or has any suggestions. I have a 2012 Jayco 324BHDS with a Carefree Travel'r Adjustable Pitch awning, 18ft I think. My problem is it will not extend. I have checked and swapped fuses, tested the switch (has power), and connected a 12V ATV battery to the nubs on the back of the motor housing. When I connected the battery to it I didn't hear any sounds from the motor. I'm thinking the motor probably needs to be replaced but how do I get the awning extended if it locked closed by the motor? I am unable to get the motor cover off because I cannot get to the screws since it is full closed against the camper. I tried pulling it out but it wont come out far enough. Any suggestions before I give up and take it to the dealer and pay way too much?

Thanks,
Steve
sbell76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 02:38 PM   #2

I'm not that familiar with your awning but I think there should be a release so that you are able to manually extend and retract it. Hopefully if you contact Jayco customer service they can help you, they have been very helpful to me in the past.
turbo130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 03:41 PM   #3

Is there an access hole where you can put a wrench on the gears inside to manually open the awning? Maybe try Youtube for a solution.
Moderator on Hi-Lo Trailer Forum
RichR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2023, 10:21 PM   #4

Did you ever get a resolution to your awning NOT extending? I have a Carefree Travel'r and it has rolled up in reverse (white side fabric out) and will not extend. Apparently the awning went all the way out and rather than reversing it continued in the same direction and wound the awning up inside out. Now it will not extend
spectra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2023, 06:57 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by spectra View Post
Did you ever get a resolution to your awning NOT extending? I have a Carefree Travel'r and it has rolled up in reverse (white side fabric out) and will not extend. Apparently the awning went all the way out and rather than reversing it continued in the same direction and wound the awning up inside out. Now it will not extend
Have to ask the obvious, are you pushing retract? That's what you need to do since it is rolled up backwards.
Old 11-11-2023, 07:59 AM   #6

Yes. Once the awning has retracted in the reverse neither the Extend or Retract buttons will work.
If I pull the 12V awning fuse it seems to "reset" and the awning will extend and stop. But once extended will not retract. I am wondering if I have a bad switch since it seems only one position of the switch functions. In addition though not sure why it is retracting in the reverse with the awning fabric inside out
Old 11-11-2023, 01:46 PM   #7

If your awning has the BT12 controller and you are using the remote app, do NOT download the update, just use the version that comes with the app download.
The revised app has serious problems which disable the switch controls. Cycling the 12 volt power off and on restores the switches and you have to delete the app and re-load.
Ann-Marie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2023, 02:32 PM   #8

This whole issue started when I tried to Retract the awning with the app. I got a strange message on my phone but can not recall what it said but after everything stopped working even with the switches. For some reason now the app will not recognize the awning. Any suggestions?
Old 11-11-2023, 07:43 PM   #9

Carefree...heheh. I'm guessing you'd name it something different.
FISTEP is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
awning