Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-27-2017, 12:34 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kahoneys View Post
On our trip from Minnesota to San Diego I took an extra 5 gal full of Diesel and used it a couple of times. When you get in the desert there are not a whole lot of petro stations and it came in handy. just strap it down and you will be fine. I will never take a long trip without taking extra fuel for it doesn't hurt and I have plenty of room in the bed of the truck and it is better than being stuck in the middle of nowhere.

Yep, and for this reason I would like to carry some gas with me in a approved can, we going to Las Vegas and for what I understand in one area it is a long ways between gas station.
Big1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 01:48 AM   #22

Nothing wrong with being prepared

2011 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins
2012 Starcraft Autumn Ridge 297 BHS
Flyrotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 02:30 AM   #23

Yes, I agree I just don't want to go through those places that I will run out of gas and we be left out in no man land, I don't that my truck can get up to 16-17 mpg but towing I'm not sure.

We have mountains here in the NW and until I can get out of the mountains I should get better mileage, I'm thinking that in the mountain getting about 8-9 mpg so until I can figure that out then I will be good to go.

I know to always look for refill when I get between 1/2 to 1/4 tank but I just want to be safe, and I might not even need it and if I don't I'm good.
Old 03-27-2017, 06:13 AM   #24

It has been my experience that gas stations can be found within about 200 miles of each other. I make it a plan to fill up whenever we hit 1/2 a tank to prevent any issues. Plus it is good to stretch those legs every couple of hours.
A2Z_Adventures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 07:17 AM   #25

We traveled Maine to Arizona last year and back and never had a problem with finding fuel.

We do have a trip mileage remaining estimator in our truck.. Just plan ahead and keep a note with pencil and paper of when you last got gas and your mileage at time of purchase and gals pumped
Just like your grandpa did.. And pay attention to it

We are travelling across Canada to Alaska this time and not carrying spare fuel.

We won't be assuming that a gas station will appear when we want it.. We will fill at each opportunity. We know that there are areas where there will be 250 miles between fuel stops.

2021 GMC Canyon
2021 Jayco 212QB
WDH ; Anderson
2012 Honda Ridgeline not towing anymore
2016 195 RB traded in
Kim Gass is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 07:48 AM   #26

Always carried a spare gas can when pulling with our 1500. Only had to resort to using it a couple times in 10 years, but consider it cheap insurance and a no brainer to carry in the back of a pickup. Now have a diesel 2500 and carry a 5 gal can of diesel [lots of stations here and there that don't carry diesel]. You don't want to run a diesel dry and have to re prime the fuel system. The last time we had to use our back up fuel was when the east coast and Tn mountain areas were hit with a gas shortage when a pipeline was shut down for a couple weeks. Only 1 in 20 stations were open with gas as we travelled up the blueridge parkway. When not towing, the extra 5 gal of gas gave us a cushion of 80+ miles.

Just got back from our last trip to the SW and in addition to the can of diesel I packed an empty 2.5 gal gas can. It was for my Honda 2000 that I packed in case of an unplanned boondoggle. The 2000 tank was full and I never had to use the genny. I never filled the small can.

When traveling into the wide open spaces and when getting off the beaten path while towing its conforting to know you have that extra 40 miles of fuel.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 09:47 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagiven View Post
I used an old school plastic gas can. I hate the new CA approved gas as I always spill as I pour out of them.
Yeah, pretty funny, isn't it? The safer they try to make the cans the more they spill! Good at driving the price up though...
Old 03-27-2017, 02:43 PM   #28
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimp View Post
Might consider using 2.5gal cans, easier to lift, move, use, possibly pack as well. I've used this brand in a small boat before with a outboard that had a 20oz internal gas tank to refill as needed on the water. Worked great, no spills or leaks.

No-SpillĀ® 2.5gal. Gas Can (1405) - Gas Cans - Ace Hardware
I agree, these are the best gas cans ever. I haven't spilled a drop in two years and your hands do not smell like gas after filling generators. I carry a couple in the box of the truck and any gas fumes dissipate very quickly once tonneau is lifted.
Ottawasteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 12:45 AM   #29

Thank you guys, it have being very helpful, I do like the ideal at least carrying a 2.5 gals no-spill gas can, I think that Camping World have them on sales or I can try Home Depot, and if I don't need it going I want worry about it coming back.

If I can get this at Home Depot I will be able to get a military discount also, so off I go tomorrow. I figure that with about 9-10 miles to the gals I should be able to travel up to 250 miles, give or take, if I'm in the mountain it will be more like 9 mpg.
Old 03-30-2017, 06:29 AM   #30

Good news!

No Spill No-Spill 2.5 Gal. Poly Gas Can (CARB and EPA compliant)-1405-V6 - The Home Depot

Worst case they ship it to you
A2Z_Adventures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 08:24 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by A2Z_Adventures View Post
I'm going to have to order one of these. Tried to fill my brand new inverter generator a few weeks ago to break it in and spilled gas all over it and myself using my CARB "no spill" gas can.

I used to be able to fill anything from vehicles to weed wackers without spilling a single drop. Now with the "no spill" cans I end covering everything with gas.
Old 03-30-2017, 08:42 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by northwindone View Post
I'm going to have to order one of these. Tried to fill my brand new inverter generator a few weeks ago to break it in and spilled gas all over it and myself using my CARB "no spill" gas can.

I used to be able to fill anything from vehicles to weed wackers without spilling a single drop. Now with the "no spill" cans I end covering everything with gas.
LOL, I spill more fuel with these new and improved CARB cans than what ever just happened to evaporated from the old style.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 11:18 AM   #33

The no-spill seem to be the cheapest of most of the others, I only want to take one with me just in case and if I don't need one I will put the gas in when I get to where I'm going, thank you for your comments guys.
Old 03-30-2017, 06:46 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagiven View Post
LOL, I spill more fuel with these new and improved CARB cans than what ever just happened to evaporated from the old style.
PROBLEM SOLVED:

EZ-POUR Universal Fuel & Water Jug Spout

2011 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins
2012 Starcraft Autumn Ridge 297 BHS
Flyrotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 06:50 PM   #35

I buy my gas cans from these guys. I'll never buy a plastic gas can again. These are bomb proof. Not affiliated with these guys at all, but it's really the best gas can I've ever owned. Unfortunately they are selling the CARB compliant nozzles now, I think it's the law that they do... but you can still find the old school nozzles if you search a bit.

http://lexingtoncontainercompanysonl...com/jerry-can/
bansai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 08:26 PM   #36

I have to add because this is one of my favorite stories.
My Father worked in Newark N.J. And took the train from west Trenton. He came home one day to find his car was gone. He called the cops and they met him at the station. They offered to call him a cab but he asked if they could check the area explaining that he kept the car on empty only putting enough gas in it "each day" to get home and back. Low and behold they radio out and are told it's six blocks away. They give him a lift and when they get there ask him if he needs a tow? He say's hold on and opens the trunk on his Dodge Dart. And grinning pulls out a 5 gallon explosafe gas can and says no he's good. He said the looks on the officers faces was priceless!To this day both he and I have used this story often. To teach the lesson of "know your environment". Oh and the other thing was he had a heavy duty chain and padlock holding the hood down so they couldn't steal the battery.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
ctvh43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 08:37 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by bansai View Post
I buy my gas cans from these guys. I'll never buy a plastic gas can again. These are bomb proof. Not affiliated with these guys at all, but it's really the best gas can I've ever owned. Unfortunately they are selling the CARB compliant nozzles now, I think it's the law that they do... but you can still find the old school nozzles if you search a bit.

Jerry Can | Nato Jerry Can | 5 Gallon Metal Jerry Can | 20L Jerry Can | 10L Jerry Can | 5L Jerry Can | Jerry can Nozzle | Jerry Can Mount | Jerry Can Holder

Those look nice I'm going to have to do a search on those.
Old 04-02-2017, 09:21 AM   #38

What's a 'gas' can?
DRbilllZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 02:01 PM   #39

I have carried 5 gallon plastic gas cans for years for my boat.
I just make sure they are properly secured in the back of my pick up.
If tbe weather gets really hot i taje them out and crack them open to vent.
The lakes i go to are anywhere from 80 to 120 miles in the bush from the nearest gas station. The lakes are up to 35 miles long or longer and it doesnt take long to use up the 10 gallons in the boat tank.
I have never had a problem of any kind using the old red plastic cans.
The back of the truck has never had a gas smell eitber.

Sent from my SM-N920W8 using Tapatalk
oldgrizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 03:07 PM   #40

After the first time in transported the five gallon gas tank came with the 5 hp. motor I had for my 12' car topper boat in the van I had at the time, I replaced it with a steel one. That plastic piece of garbage (polite term) swelled up so badly, I was seriously afraid it was going to explode. I must have vented that tank half a dozen times before I got home (and it was nearly empty on the return trip).