Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-14-2021, 08:19 PM   #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Eagle View Post
Doug,

Passing trucks......., we all experience the "push-pull" between our TV/TT's and the semi as it passes us.

What I found that helps when I see a semi approaching to pass I move a little to the right within my lane, and in most cases the semi will move a little to the left in his lane. The larger gap reduces the "push-pull" effect. Also, I maintain my towing speed as the semi passes.

When encountering winds, I tow at a speed that provides me best TV handling experience....., and I'm never the first one crossing the summit.

Enjoy your trip
trailers
Bob
Bob --
Yes, I do the same with trucks. And I generally don't tow much above 60 mph -- better mileage and handling, in my experience.

As I've mentioned before, I used to tow enclosed and flatbed trailers which handle much differently than a TT (and never heard of a WDH before buying our trailer last year.) I'm thankful to have many years of experience pulling everything from 12 ft utility and 16 ft enclosed trailers to a 20 ft flatbed, especially backing up by mirror, maneuvering in tight areas, etc. I read about all the newbies buying TTs with zero experience and can only imagine how intimidated they must be at first, even with all the cameras, blind spot monitors and other technologies available today.

Anyway, I think part of my fretting over sway is I don't know what one should typically expect when hauling a large box -- maybe what I'm experiencing is within normal limits? I'm sure that as I put more miles behind me I'll have a much better sense. I know I've learned so much already in a very short time from folks like you about WDHs, so again, thanks for your continued patient support.

By the way, I suspect my WDH isn't yet ideally set up, or "dialled in". Until I find that handy dial, I may have to try to tweak it the hard way. ��

Doug
Finally Able is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 09:48 PM   #62
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finally Able View Post
snip...... Apart from the CAT scale weights, I also measured the nose attitude when hitched: measuring from ground to underside of frame I-beam on all 4 corners of the trailer, I was a bit over 1" lower in the front than 28+ feet away in the rear, so I'm pulling just a bit more nose-down.....snip
IMO you are just fine....., heck, tow around the block once and it might just sit level

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2021, 07:58 PM   #63
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finally Able View Post
snip..... By the way, I suspect my WDH isn't yet ideally set up, or "dialled in". Until I find that handy dial, I may have to try to tweak it the hard way. ��......snip
We are all waiting for that handy WDH mystery "dial"...., until then the HD torque wrench remains our friend

The "dial-in" process is most effective once one establishes a "typical" ready-to-camp TV/TT gross loaded weight condition...., thus regular CAT visits won't be necessary unless one's loading notably changes.

I'm very confident with your 1,150lb spring bars you will be able to 'dial-in' your TV's front axle returned weight..., it will take a little trial & error adjustment of your ball mount 'tilt angle' via the amount of spacer-washers utilized ((hopefully the RV dealership gave you all (7) of them)).

When the ball mount is tilted 'toward' the TT it will increase the leveraged force of the spring bars when placed back on the L-bracket, thus return more weight to the TV's front axle....., assuming your TV's receiver hitch is rated for the loaded tongue weight in question.

Depending on degree of ball mount tilt required, the effect may require other minor re-adjustments (ie; raise/lower ball mount, etc.).

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
Old 05-21-2021, 04:17 PM   #64

Just returned from Cape Cod -- the towing was much improved down and back. Semis passing us didn't seem to affect us much at all, and tbe only noticeable incident was when we were in the center lane of 3 -- lane divided highway and passed a 20-ft or so box truck in the right lane. Just as our TV cleared it, we were passed by a triaxle dump truck, and the wash wanted to push us into the right lane. But that's to be expected, I think.

Anyone who has crossed either bridge over the Cape Cod Canal pulling a trailer has probably experienced the same "porpoising" we have -- every expansion joint (must be at least 6) has a dip, and you haven't quite recovered from the first one when you hit the second, which soon sets up a kind of harmonic pattern. I'm sure this happens in similar situations as well. I experienced it many times several years ago when we completed a 6 week-long landscape project on the Cape, and we would tow our tractor on a flatbed trailer and tools + plants in an enclosed trailer.

Anyway, I think I'll count this hitch improvement as a success, but will probably revisit it sometime this to use that 1/2" ratchet dial at some point. Thanks to all for the help.
Old 05-21-2021, 08:16 PM   #65
Moderator Emeritus

Finally_Able,

Great to hear the trip went well

There was a section of the 440 Interstate loop going around Little Rock that was a major 'pounder' for all tow vehicles for a number of years. It was so bad I started taking I-30 thru Little Rock via I-40 during my Michigan/Texas travels.

They finally did some work on it a couple years ago.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
Old 07-14-2021, 10:25 AM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Eagle View Post
We are all waiting for that handy WDH mystery "dial"...., until then the HD torque wrench remains our friend

The "dial-in" process is most effective once one establishes a "typical" ready-to-camp TV/TT gross loaded weight condition...., thus regular CAT visits won't be necessary unless one's loading notably changes.

I'm very confident with your 1,150lb spring bars you will be able to 'dial-in' your TV's front axle returned weight..., it will take a little trial & error adjustment of your ball mount 'tilt angle' via the amount of spacer-washers utilized ((hopefully the RV dealership gave you all (7) of them)).

When the ball mount is tilted 'toward' the TT it will increase the leveraged force of the spring bars when placed back on the L-bracket, thus return more weight to the TV's front axle....., assuming your TV's receiver hitch is rated for the loaded tongue weight in question.

Depending on degree of ball mount tilt required, the effect may require other minor re-adjustments (ie; raise/lower ball mount, etc.).

Bob
Well, back to the dialing in phase. I noticed that the L-bracket isn't wearing evenly, meaning spring bars are only making contact at the front (see photo -- you'll note rust remains across most of bracket, upper left corner is shiny. Other bracket is ground down across leading edge, about 1/2" wide. Raised the height of the hitch by a set of holes, which didn't improve it -- only result was to raise nose of trailer slightly. I presently are using 6 out of the 7 shim washers.

Honestly don't know how to rectify this -- if I can, than that seemingly solves sway issue. Ideas?
Attached Thumbnails
20210714_112030.jpg   20210714_112417.jpg  
Finally Able is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2021, 03:26 PM   #67

Maybe I'm slow, but it occurred to me this afternoon that perhaps the L bracket (which I had set up to be square to the frame) needs to rotate a few degrees to be on plane with the flat side of the spring bar. The manual mentions *nothing* about this. I called Horizon Global (parent Co. of Reese) to see if this approach is best, or what am I doing wrong? Tech service guy said "Sure. Move the L bracket to make more contact. I answered the same question a couple days ago." I thanked him and suggested that he pass along up the chain that maybe the manual could include such info. ('Before torquing bolts on L brackets, ensure that the spring bars sit flat to make complete contact. Adjust angle of L bracket if necessary.') I will say that the 2 times I've spoken with their Tech Service dept. they've been very helpful. But, given that dealers do a crap job at selling/installing hitches, leaving adjustments to owners, Reese should add another page to their manual (which is ****e, in my opinion.) There's no such thing as TMI when it comes to anything other than personal info. Take what you need, leave the rest.

So, that's tomorrow's project.
Old 07-26-2021, 11:11 PM   #68

I ended up rotating my equalizer L brackets as you described. Just a few degrees. It gives more surface area / contact area, although I’m still a bit front-heavy based on the wear pattern.

I think what this implies is that the L brackets are too high and doing “too much” of the weight distributing. I suspect I’d I add a washer I could lower my L bracket one hole and get better contact.

At one point I messed with this at a cat scale. If I recall correctly, I think for my trailer one washer distributed about 200 lbs and one L bracket hole distributed 150 lbs. The L bracket is much easier to adjust so I do that.
blakei is offline   Reply With Quote