Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-08-2016, 05:43 PM   #1

Question Ceiling bubbling in X213

Has anyone else run into this problem with their X213 or any other model that has a curved wall/ceiling? It is getting worse and popped the ceiling trim off this trip. My oldest kid tried to sleep up there and said it smelled like glue. It's bubbling in the front wardrobe as well.

Old 08-08-2016, 06:03 PM   #2

It looks like you have a roof leak? How does the sealant look on the roof? Or the roof membrane itself?
Old 08-08-2016, 06:11 PM   #3

That's what we thought initially. But it went to the dealer a month ago for some final warranty items and we told them about it and they said they looked and there wasn't a roof leak and it was common for this panelling to do that when they curve it. But this last trip it got worse and when we got home today, we just dropped it at the dealer as we had an appointment booked to get some parts installed from the previous appointment. The service guy agreed it looked much worse and said they will look at it tomorrow.

We didn't look at the roof ourselves though. Wishing they would have done a more thorough inspection last time it was there.
Old 08-08-2016, 06:42 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverEscape View Post
they said they looked and there wasn't a roof leak and it was common for this panelling to do that when they curve it. (
Horse hockey.....curving doesn't cause bubbles.
Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 06:52 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
Horse hockey.....curving doesn't cause bubbles.
This pretty much summed up our thoughts on the matter. I'm worried we are going to have trouble now too as our warranty is over now. Although we did report the issue prior to the warranty expiring.
Old 08-08-2016, 07:36 PM   #6
Site Team

Condensation? Did the dealer document the complaint?
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 07:45 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
Condensation? Did the dealer document the complaint?
I have only noticed condensation on that bunk wall once last summer and it was raining and clammy outside and cold enough to need the furnace that night. Could it be condensation behind the wall? That sounds like a recipe for mold to me...ugh.

The original work order had it written down my husband said. And he signed that paper. We didn't get a copy of that though.
Old 08-11-2016, 01:04 PM   #8

Ceiling bubbling in X213

The dealer was going to replace the panel and then pulled it out and low and behold found water then this time found a leak. And jayco is denying the warranty claim because we were supposed to reseal the roof yearly. We did inspect it twice a year and didn't realize we had to rip out caulking and redo the roof every year. That seems insane. I would think that would open us up to more leaking if not done perfectly.

And I'm not sure how we were supposed to discover a leak when we took it to the dealer earlier this summer and they tested and said there was no leak. If the professionals can't find it, how is an average Joe supposed to? And due to their lack of finding it, we have more damage because of them.

Now I have a hunk of unusable junk that is torn apart inside and the rest of our summer vacation is wrecked. And I'll be paying on a trailer for years that we can't use.
Old 08-11-2016, 01:09 PM   #9

Quote:
And I'm not sure how we were supposed to discover a leak when we took it to the dealer earlier this summer and they tested and said there was no leak. If the professionals can't find it, how is an average Joe supposed to? And due to their lack of finding it, we have more damage because of them.
If you have that info documented send JAYCO a copy. Sounds like the dealer doesn't want to admit they screwed up.
Old 08-11-2016, 01:23 PM   #10

Ceiling bubbling in X213

Quote:
If you have that info documented send JAYCO a copy. Sounds like the dealer doesn't want to admit they screwed up.

The dealer never gave us a copy of the work order but my husband saw it when he signed it. He's there now taking pics of our trailer and going to ask for a copy of it.

I also have pics of what it looked like when we brought in; the time they told us that the curved panels just do that.

I wonder if he should just be bringing it home all ripped apart?
Old 08-11-2016, 02:11 PM   #11

Quote:
... And jayco is denying the warranty claim because we were supposed to reseal the roof yearly. We did inspect it twice a year and didn't realize we had to rip out caulking and redo the roof every year...
I agree, we "inspect" ours regularly, but we certainly do not reseal the entire roof if everything looks OK. I wonder how many dealers "reseal" the entire roof?
Sounds like the same kind of stunts that companies that make home improvement products pull. They write the "warranty" in such a way that they will never have to honor it.
Keep us posted.

2015 Jayco 27RLS
2015 Ford F250 6.7PSD
DanNJanice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 02:34 PM   #12

Send a message via Skype™ to ALJO
SilverEscape: just take one step at the time and don't get into panic mode. Apparently there's a problem which needs to be addressed. For now go on your roof and use Dicor self levelling caulking and fix the problem area. Finish your camping season and after that take into the dealer for repair. In the mean time you can confirm the documented work order with your dealer and get your copy. With that copy, your dealer or you can go back to Jayco and see what happen. If they do not warranty it still has to be fixed either by the dealer or someone who can deal with your problems.
A home need maintenance too and so is a RV. Quality standards in the RV manufacturing is very low, but that's the way it is. After your problem is well taken care of it, it will last another 50 years with maintenance. Good luck to you!
Pro Series 1200 lbs. WDH with Double Sway Bar.
Champion 3100/2800 watt Inverter/Generator-Onboard Solar Power
ALJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 03:55 PM   #13

Is there a thread somewhere that talks about resealing the roof, and more specifically about maintenance which must be done to satisfy Jayco for warranty coverage? Might be nice to have Jayco step in and offer specific instructions (do they monitor this forum? I assume it's a sanctioned forum since it uses their name and logo...).
Rootus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 04:07 PM   #14

SilverScape, did JAYCO tell you that or the dealer?
Old 08-11-2016, 04:14 PM   #15
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rootus View Post
Is there a thread somewhere that talks about resealing the roof, and more specifically about maintenance which must be done to satisfy Jayco for warranty coverage? Might be nice to have Jayco step in and offer specific instructions (do they monitor this forum? I assume it's a sanctioned forum since it uses their name and logo...).

JOF is privately owned. If Jayco monitors here, it's as a individual member just like the rest of us.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 05:23 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
JOF is privately owned. If Jayco monitors here, it's as a individual member just like the rest of us.
Good to know. I wasn't sure, because in many cases, especially on the car forums, just using the manufacturer name in the board name would get a response, much less using their logo (asuming it's some old Jayco logo, maybe wrong on that assumption). Jayco is apparently a bit more relaxed.

Except for the risk of getting their unwanted attention on that front, it would be cool if there was a forum where Jayco reps would actually respond to customer questions and concerns.
Old 08-11-2016, 09:37 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALJO View Post
SilverEscape: just take one step at the time and don't get into panic mode. Apparently there's a problem which needs to be addressed. For now go on your roof and use Dicor self levelling caulking and fix the problem area. Finish your camping season and after that take into the dealer for repair. In the mean time you can confirm the documented work order with your dealer and get your copy. With that copy, your dealer or you can go back to Jayco and see what happen. If they do not warranty it still has to be fixed either by the dealer or someone who can deal with your problems.
A home need maintenance too and so is a RV. Quality standards in the RV manufacturing is very low, but that's the way it is. After your problem is well taken care of it, it will last another 50 years with maintenance. Good luck to you!
The wall and bunk and cabinet are pulled out so I can't just go and caulk the roof and take the trailer home. It needs to be fixed before it can go anywhere. The dealer already spent 6 hours pulling it apart. The full fix requires a new front end cap as well. It's not cheap to fix it right.

That being said, they can't seal a roof right to last even 2 years? That's just crazy. Our tent trailer, which had roof rails and everything screwed in, had the caulk last for 10 years and was still going strong when we sold it. I just find it hard to believe they can't caulk something properly out of the factory and leave it to the owner to fix it from the get go.

We can see the hole now, my hubs took a pic. But he didn't see it when he went up the last 4 times to inspect. The hole in the caulk is completely dirty, exactly like the rest of the caulk. Near it is a white gap where some more caulk has started to split recently. The discolouration/dirtiness of every part of this hole implies it's been there a long time, possibly since we bought it. The caulk job up there is terrible. And even the dealer, who went up there over a month ago, didn't notice the hole and told us the roof was fine. We wouldn't have delimitation of the front end cap now if they had found the leak then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rootus View Post
Supposedly there is something in the manual. My husband read in the manual when we got to inspect a couple times a year and fix if anything was obvious; he didn't see that it said you needed to reseal yearly. We have to pick up our manual from the trailer to see what it actually says.

Quote:
SilverScape, did JAYCO tell you that or the dealer?
The dealer; according to notes from Jayco. Not sure if my hubs read the notes or if they just told him what they said.
Old 08-11-2016, 09:52 PM   #18

One of the other things that is making me mad is when the dealer saw the wall was getting worse when we brought it in this time, they told us they would replace it. That it must be that it was cut too large for the space. So we authorized the work based on that phone conversation. Then once they opened it up and saw condensation, then went out and found the leak, we were then told they had to send pictures to Jayco and then that it wasn't covered and just to replace the inside wall there is about $1000. So something we were told was being covered, was all of a sudden not covered and it was already apart, so no putting it back together and just taking it home for no charge.
Old 08-11-2016, 10:19 PM   #19

If I were in your shoes, assuming you haven't already done this, I'd call Jayco directly. Dealers suck, and Jayco has a reputation of being responsive to customers who call them. Don't let the dealer act as middleman in this.
Old 08-12-2016, 07:11 AM   #20

Quote:
Supposedly there is something in the manual. My husband read in the manual when we got to inspect a couple times a year and fix if anything was obvious; he didn't see that it said you needed to reseal yearly. We have to pick up our manual from the trailer to see what it actually says.
It's not just JAYCO, every manuf requires annual inspoections. The owner's manual says inspect and reseal as needed. That is where Eternabond solves all problems, they claim it's good for 15 years once applied.

With that said, the dealer is your stumbling block. If they tell JAYCO you didn't bring it in for an inspection or leak test that is the only info JAYCO has to go on. As was already mentioned call JAYCO direct and give them all the details.