Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-13-2022, 07:47 PM   #1

ceiling lights flashing

We have our battery removed from our Jayco Featherlight Micro and today we opened it up to do some work inside. We have the trailer plugged into our 110v outlet for power. When we turned on the lights, they all started blinking. Is this because we didn't have the battery connected? The slide also didn't work, but again, I think this is a 12v motor so I suppose with no battery it also doesn't work with just shore power?
mtjag7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2022, 08:42 PM   #2

Yes the slide is 12 volts. When the battery is removed your converter will be supplying the 12 volts to everything. Normally this is not a problem but in your case I would suspect the converter is failing.

When the battery is in place it will smooth out the output from a converter. I'll get a bit technical here (sorry, it is the technician in me). Often when a power supply fails its output will change from smooth to a large sawtooth waveform meaning it is jumping up and down and looks like a saw. This failure occurs when the power supply's filter fails. I've seen it many times. If you were to put a scope on the power line you would easily see it.

OK, I'll stop the technical training. To sum it up, odds are your converter is bad. If you put the battery back in it would probably smooth things out but the converter may not properly charge it.

Jim

Retired electronic technician (45 years in the field)
2017 Greyhawk 29W (solar & many other mods)
wife (maybe I should have given her top billing)
JimD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2022, 08:48 PM   #3

Thank you for the quick reply and for the technical explanation. I forgot to mention that not only was the battery off the RV, but I forgot I had the disconnect switch turn in the off position. I hope that was the issue as this RV is a 2022 model I picked up new in August. Do you think this might have been the issue with the disconnect switch turned in the off position?
mtjag7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2022, 01:26 PM   #4

Never run the slide without the battery!
2014 Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost
skids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2022, 02:25 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtjag7 View Post
Thank you for the quick reply and for the technical explanation. I forgot to mention that not only was the battery off the RV, but I forgot I had the disconnect switch turn in the off position. I hope that was the issue as this RV is a 2022 model I picked up new in August. Do you think this might have been the issue with the disconnect switch turned in the off position?
In my rig with the disconnect off the lights will not come on at all with the battery in. Haven't tried switch off while plugged in. The switch only disconnects the battery. The converter would still power things.

Jim

Retired electronic technician (45 years in the field)
2017 Greyhawk 29W (solar & many other mods)
wife (maybe I should have given her top billing)
JimD is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lights blinking, no battery