Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-04-2018, 04:50 PM   #1

Cell phones and foreign travel with Google FI

We booked a trip in the Caribbean this November. I wanted to have a phone without paying the exorbitant price the cruise line charges. Google FI works in 170 nations around the world.

I switched to Google FI a few months ago to reduce my cost vs my old carrier. It has worked to so far to reduce my cost per month to about $55 for two phones including my data use of about 1 gig a month.

In Antigua, Barbados, St. Thomas, etc. the rate for phone use was 20 cents per minute with texts for free. We sent a ton of photos by text with no charges. Data use while there is the same price as in the USA.

If you are big data users there is a data charge of $10 per gig of actual use.
If you only use part of a gig they prorate! They also have a max charge of 10 gigs per phone, excess is free.

Drawbacks are that you have to buy an approved phone off their list if your old one is not on the list.

If you have a friend or family member on Google FI they get a $20 credit for recommending you and you get $20 off your first bill.

If you don't have some one PM me and I can offer you my number.

PS I don't work for Google FI but like to share a good deal.
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 01:46 PM   #2

I used FI in Europe and the Middle East, worked perfectly. When you land in a new country, FI immediately tells you the terms for that country. They just expanded to any phone, but full features still only come from approved phones. Unless you absolutely need Verizon's coverage, it's an amazing service.
alwaysonguard@gmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote