Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-18-2022, 11:10 AM   #1

Cellular, WiFi, and options with RV

I am wondering about how well wifi service would work between my pickup and the Jayco White Hawk TT. And what other options there might be.

I drive a 2022 Ford F-150 that allows wifi internally. I haven’t started that yet. But I understand that it would also radiate the wifi a limited distance from the truck. Has anybody here had experience with that, to know if a wifi booster or satellite service is a better option?

Maybe an on-demand satellite service is also the best option.

We are not full-timers. Actually just starting our new RV patterns. Would like to get out once a month for at least three days or more. Even so, watching a movie or sports…
ScottRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2022, 07:31 PM   #2

I don't know what's better, but the wifi in my last three Chevys has worked great for computer email anywhere on the road or at any RV camp. I haven't tried streaming movies. I suspect satellite might be better for that, but I'm sure someone could jump in here. (I picked up a new TT though, so I'll probably pop for Dish on demand. It's only money, right.)
Old 12-19-2022, 07:14 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottRV View Post
I am wondering about how well wifi service would work between my pickup and the Jayco White Hawk TT. And what other options there might be.

I drive a 2022 Ford F-150 that allows wifi internally. I haven’t started that yet. But I understand that it would also radiate the wifi a limited distance from the truck. Has anybody here had experience with that, to know if a wifi booster or satellite service is a better option?

Maybe an on-demand satellite service is also the best option.

We are not full-timers. Actually just starting our new RV patterns. Would like to get out once a month for at least three days or more. Even so, watching a movie or sports…
Curious to see what folks have experienced with essentially using your trucks data plan as a hotspot. I wouldn't think it would be reliable to stream movies in your camper from the truck parked in front of the camper but would like to know.

I was doing research on RV internet recently. From what I have seen Starlink has very mixed reviews. Basically if you like to camp in an area where there are lots of beautiful trees it is horrible. If you're in an area with no trees or obstructions to the sky it seems to work pretty well, better on the western portion of the US.

Cellular based is what seems to be most popular using a dedicated hot spot or in a few cases using a phone as a hotspot. I'm sure you know this but be careful using your phone as a hotspot as hotspot data is different than regular data. Just because a plan has unlimited data doesn't mean it has unlimited hotspot data. In fact unlimited hotspot data doesn't exist anymore on phone plans to my knowledge unless it's a grandfathered plan.
2016 Ram 2500 CC SWB 6.4 Hemi 3:73
2021 Jay Flight 33RBTS- +/- 10,500 lbs. on travel day
Hughes Power Watchdog Bluetooth surge protector
Jerry713 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2022, 08:40 AM   #4

I have a question about using your Chevy truck's WiFi. Does the truck need to be running for the WiFi to work? Does it be to in accessory mode if not running? My truck turns off accessory mode after a while to not kill the battery. How do you make this work to stream a movie, for example?

I'm wondering as my new truck has AT&T cellular to power the WiFi but my phones are Verizon so I might get service with one plan when the other has no or slow service. I have not tried using the truck's WiFi while sitting at a campground yet.

2022 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LTZ Crew Cab 3.0L Duramax 4WD
2019 Jayco Jay Flight SLX 298BH
2013 Jayco Jay 1206 (Sold)
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2022, 09:04 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott View Post
I have a question about using your Chevy truck's WiFi. Does the truck need to be running for the WiFi to work? Does it be to in accessory mode if not running? My truck turns off accessory mode after a while to not kill the battery. How do you make this work to stream a movie, for example?

I'm wondering as my new truck has AT&T cellular to power the WiFi but my phones are Verizon so I might get service with one plan when the other has no or slow service. I have not tried using the truck's WiFi while sitting at a campground yet.
I've got the Wi-Fi turned on in my 2020 F150. As you mentioned, it turns off when the truck shuts down. I use it while driving as my cell is provided by work and they frown on extra data charges, so I always hotspot my phone (I added the truck to my family plan which has all of the other members of the family and shares its data for $10 a month). Personally, the extra effort, potential battery draw down on the truck, etc., make it an unlikely long term wi-fi solution for the trailer. I am looking at something like a Peplink mobile router with a SIM card or two, but still researching...

Colby
Eastern Ontario, Canada
2018 Jayco 212QB
2020 Ford F150 SuperCrew
colby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2022, 10:34 AM   #6

I had the need/worry for access to work while traveling this summer. Starlink was not yet an option when we left, I am still waiting on it as well before making the jump. Some rave about it some complain about it which makes it just as reliable/unreliable as cellular service... Just cost way more than I currently spend.

I have a 2021 RAM with the ATT plan, but no other ATT service. Due to that I was able to purchase what they call Unlimited for $200 a year. It does allow for free unlimited streaming on a couple services (warner brothers and/or universal I think). During our travels it actually had excellent service 95% of the time even in Glacier NP, even at their campground. These are one of the hardest locations for any cell signal and sat wont work (way too many trees).

While it works pretty good it did flake out (somewhere around Wisconsin) a couple times. This required me to call ATT and then learn how to do a "reset" on the stereo/cell device. Once you know this procedure for your truck it makes things better for the future. I did get 4 extra free month of service from ATT though.

As for signal outside of the truck, it supposedly works 50ft. Inside our trailer it has never been strong. I have also had the same issues with keeping it going unless the truck is running. So I tended not to use it unless we were driving.

I also have a Insty Connect that runs 24/7. It has a Verizon and T-Mobile service. While driving its wifi is strong enough to work well in the truck. Due to this we would filp back and forth between ATT, Verizon, TMobile as we drove for the best service. There was only one location in northern Wisconsin and Michigan where none of them seemed to work well. Then again in Mesa Verde NP the cell signal comes from the city of Cortez just below it, was very weak with our antenna. A different antenna or sat is the best solution there or when you are in serious "no where" boondocking.

Everywhere else cell worked fantastic! But you do need options and at some point sat will probably be one of them.

Sorry for the long response!
Old 12-19-2022, 03:07 PM   #7

How much does it cost to broadcast wifi from your truck?
How much does a hotspot cost from your cell service provider?
spoon059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2022, 06:55 PM   #8

I have a 2021 F150 with the AT&T data plan and T-Mo for my cell provider. The truck data is only used when we're moving. As soon as we are stopped for the night I use my phone hot spot.
Old 12-20-2022, 07:34 AM   #9

Spoon, I would assume that ATT has the same offers for everyone and the truck plans. For us the $200/year comes out to about $16.50 a month.

As for hotspot on phones that is dependent on the plan that you have and allowed hotspot GB per month. I am on with three others in our family and only my phone has the hotspot ability. The plan Im on is $45 a month and is Verizons highest priority with the highest amount of gig they offered per month at that time, 100gb. It also includes apple music and disney+ for "free" with the plan which did save a little on those subscriptions.

As for the other plans I use in the Insty Connect I am doing things a bit differently and cost me $35 per month total for that for unlimited. I am looking to add ATT through FMCA, they look to be the best deal that I can find. That will be throttled to 25mbs but unlimited for $65 a month. Which should be more than enough for streaming and work. If I add the FMCA total per month would be $100 for the "big three" services (coverage from T-Mobile, Verizon and ATT) dedicated hotspot/InstyConnect.

Still less than Starlink and works in almost every location, with more than enough to stream and work at the same time. We are not gaming etc.. Only places it has not worked well or worked at all is in the deep boonies boondocking. Starlink rules that as long as it has clear skies.
Old 12-20-2022, 11:33 AM   #10

Don't have a good wifi solution yet, but for TV we dumped Xfinity and had Dish Network installed in our house and we just pay an extra $5 a month to have our RV receiver always activated. We saved almost $100 a month getting rid of Xfinity and like the Dish TV stuff, it's just as good as X.
Old 12-21-2022, 04:01 PM   #11

Regarding the POWER issues that a couple have mentioned, I have a 2022 F-150 PowerBoost. I can dry camp with that, plugging the RV into the truck 24/7. The truck has an onboard generator. So, I run on the truck batteries, in lieu of an external generator, until they almost drain. Then, the F-150 (in accessories ON mode) senses this and restarts the truck to charge the batteries for a time. It shuts off automatically too. Then, I’m set for a while!
ScottRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2022, 02:38 PM   #12

I recently purchased this https://www.amazon.com/Netgear-Night...196646619&th=1

I use the ATT prepay plan. Used it 2 times so far with zero issues. Worked better than the phone. Used TV/laptops with it. I dont want to pay something monthly as I wont always use it. In the Fall/winter we like it for Football games. After that we dont really use the TV unless for news.
Old 12-23-2022, 03:21 PM   #13

Tmtex, with that hotspot go grab one of these antennas and you will have better/more reception and speed than with a booster.
https://www.amazon.com/Netgear-60004...00DN3J03O?th=1
Old 12-24-2022, 01:31 PM   #14

Quote:

I have a 2018 Sierra and in order to use the truck’s hotspot acc needs to be left on to prevent the truck from turning off.
If on shore power I leave my truck connected to the trailer and it will keep my truck battery charged without draining it
Stever71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2022, 02:18 PM   #15

Quote:

I have Verizon and use the Verizon Jetpack in my motorhome for internet Wi-Fi. It has its own battery and it charges just like you charge your cell phone. It's operating two Samsung OLED smart TVs, an HP printer and two laptops. It works anywhere you have cell service, and it hides very easily on a shelf in the closet as it's no bigger than a bar of soap. You just subscribe to it through your Verizon cell phone provider. No more satellite TV for us.
Randy G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2022, 06:41 AM   #16

I got the starlink RV, and used it extensively in Utah/Grand Canyon/Mystic ct...
It worked flawlessly in all cases. Even through a torrential downpour in Bryce.
I am thrilled with the performance (never below 50mb).
JUST MY .02.
Jerrypd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2023, 01:58 PM   #17

What ATT plan did you get? Would like to do the same. No monthly fee, only use it when camping for TV when raining.
Roboink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2023, 05:55 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottRV View Post
Regarding the POWER issues that a couple have mentioned, I have a 2022 F-150 PowerBoost. I can dry camp with that, plugging the RV into the truck 24/7. The truck has an onboard generator. So, I run on the truck batteries, in lieu of an external generator, until they almost drain. Then, the F-150 (in accessories ON mode) senses this and restarts the truck to charge the batteries for a time. It shuts off automatically too. Then, I’m set for a while!
That certainly is a nice option. Will have to look into that for the future.