Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-28-2015, 05:18 PM   #1

ceramic heater

I am thinking about getting one of these
Hunter 24 in. 1500-Watt Digital Ceramic Tower Heater with Remote Control-HPQ15C-EA - The Home Depot
Tring to cut down propane use. What do you think?
Bill Mc
2014 Jayco 248rbs
BillMc40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 05:35 PM   #2

Just remember not to max out the watts. 1500 watts is more then a 15amp circuit can protect be careful.
ninjahbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 05:37 PM   #3

You should be fine. I've done that for years in my campers. My only suggestion is to consider a plug in oil-filled radiator. No hot element to worry about catching anything on fire.
spoon059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 05:45 PM   #4

We have a small 1500 watt ceramic heater, it's about 8" on each side. Works great. We have poped the circuit breaker a few times when using the electric coffee pot. Just have to turn it off.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 05:59 PM   #5

I used a rotating tower type electric heater all last winter. No problem with my Jayco outlet it was plugged into. It got a little warm when the outside temp dropped down into the teens, but no breakers tripped.

Depending on the cost of electricity where you're at you'd probably save money overall.

When you use your propane furnace you're using both propane AND electric. With the electric heater, efficiency is 100%- all the electricity is converted to heat, which all transfers to the trailer interior.

Propane heat is inefficient because a lot of the energy blows out withe the exhaust.

I wouldn't NOT use an electric heater if I had shore power electric available.
SmokerBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 07:54 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillMc40 View Post
I am thinking about getting one of these
Hunter 24 in. 1500-Watt Digital Ceramic Tower Heater with Remote Control-HPQ15C-EA - The Home Depot
Tring to cut down propane use. What do you think?
Bill Mc
2014 Jayco 248rbs
I think what you are looking at would work fine in a trailer.
As mentioned, some folks like the oil-filled radiators since there is no exposed heating element, but those radiators are heavy buggers.

We have a trailer nearly identical to yours, but without the slide. We use the following: It can attach right to the wall and is the size of a flat panel TV. We have it mounted on our bedroom wall where the TV is supposed to mount. It can also stand on the floor on removable legs. It has no fan, makes no noise and keeps our bedroom warm. It doesn't heat the place up fast, but once it gets to the right temp, it can hold it there. We have only used it on the low (750 watt) setting. It also has a 1500 watt setting, but that makes the bedroom too warm for sleeping.

Most of the reviews on Amazon are good. There are some bad ones, where people said the unit failed within a year or it didn't feel like it was giving off heat. But it isn't designed to feel a blast of warm air, just to gradually heat a space. We've had ours for 3 years and no problems. We bought ours at an outlet store and paid $19. (They were so inexpensive so we bought 2).

dewey02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 08:09 PM   #7
Site Team

We use Vornado's in the camper. Last year I bought one very similar to your Hunter, it is made by Lasko at Walmart.

It worked last year great in the camper and at home. We never used the remote, even though it was there. Just to convenient.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 10:55 PM   #8

1500 watts is only 12.5 amps so should not have an issue. We use a rotating tower heater with a temperate setting, got it from Costco, works great. Also has a remote so, keep it cooler while sleeping and kick it up a bit when your ready to get up. We had 13 inches of snow and 40mph winds on mothers day this year and it kept our 17RLS nice and cozy.

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 07:17 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags999 View Post
1500 watts is only 12.5 amps so should not have an issue. We use a rotating tower heater with a temperate setting, got it from Costco, works great. Also has a remote so, keep it cooler while sleeping and kick it up a bit when your ready to get up. We had 13 inches of snow and 40mph winds on mothers day this year and it kept our 17RLS nice and cozy.
All I can say is wow!
Old 08-29-2015, 07:28 AM   #10

Late last fall and early this spring I seen several units with electrical cords ran thru the outside storage. So finally it got the better of me and I asked this gentleman why do you do that. He began to tell me. Well you have alreadt paid for the electric, so why not use it. I said I dont understand. He tole me they were running threee of these heaters in there 5er[it was a large one].Saves money on the propane.
We have two trips in September and 3 in October. Wife is talking about small Turkey day then to the trailer for the weekend of shopping and relaxing. My intentions is not to so much save money as to saving propane. I do not need to have a wife wake up cold and pissed off.[Been there done that, and I know that bottle was full and the other better then half was a pop up].
So I am thinking this would save on propane and be a back up so I could go get some if need be.
Thanks
BillMc
Old 08-29-2015, 08:49 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewey02 View Post
I think what you are looking at would work fine in a trailer.
As mentioned, some folks like the oil-filled radiators since there is no exposed heating element, but those radiators are heavy buggers.

We have a trailer nearly identical to yours, but without the slide. We use the following: It can attach right to the wall and is the size of a flat panel TV. We have it mounted on our bedroom wall where the TV is supposed to mount. It can also stand on the floor on removable legs. It has no fan, makes no noise and keeps our bedroom warm. It doesn't heat the place up fast, but once it gets to the right temp, it can hold it there. We have only used it on the low (750 watt) setting. It also has a 1500 watt setting, but that makes the bedroom too warm for sleeping.

Most of the reviews on Amazon are good. There are some bad ones, where people said the unit failed within a year or it didn't feel like it was giving off heat. But it isn't designed to feel a blast of warm air, just to gradually heat a space. We've had ours for 3 years and no problems. We bought ours at an outlet store and paid $19. (They were so inexpensive so we bought 2).

I realized I never mentioned the product name: It is a Delonghi Micathermic heater. Amazon has them, but kinda pricey. http://www.amazon.com/DeLonghi-HMP15.../dp/B005MMN75G
dewey02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 08:53 AM   #12

If cheaper without the remote, I'd forgo it. Turn on and set t-stat and you should be good to go. Remotes just get lost and are rarely needed except for the tv. I have remotes for the radio, fireplace, tvs, sat receiver, and a couple that I have forgotten what they're for.

Always use an electric and think the ceramics seem to be the best but you have to watch the power draw on a circuit and over all for the unit as you're probably limited to just 30amp service. You might want to rig up a second power input using the 20A plug on the CG post and using it to power a dedicated outlet installed inside your RV. That will leave the 30A service to power up the microwave, etc without blowing a breaker. Also allows you to run a 2nd electric heater if necessary. Also remember that only the onboard furnace provides heat to the holding tank area. Electric heat stays in the living space but if you are in below freezing temps for more than 24 hours you need to consider cycling the furnace stetting the tstate at a lower temp at nite and using the electric to kick it up if the furnace can't keep up.

Where I camp, CG power in included in the site fee so why burn your own propane when you can heat with the electricity you've already paid for?
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 09:14 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoon059 View Post
You should be fine. I've done that for years in my campers. My only suggestion is to consider a plug in oil-filled radiator. No hot element to worry about catching anything on fire.
x2. Run mine at 900 watts. Slow to warm, but then keeps an even heat in the room. If not too cold, I'll cut it back to 600. Both of mine are 600/900/1500.
'14 Denali XL
cekkk is offline   Reply With Quote