Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-13-2019, 04:01 PM   #1

Champion Generator Purchase

Been debating for months on what generator to purchase for our RV use. Settled on a Champion 3400 Starting watts/3100 Running watts Portable Inverter Generator - model #100269. Canadian Tire had it on sale for $999.00 from $1499.00 - a $500.00 savings which pushed my button to buy. Read all the reviews but would appreciate feedback from anyone that has this model.
P.S. We seldom boondock but thought it would come in handy for power outages in the neighbourhood.
Cheers!
Gregory Peck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 04:13 PM   #2

Haven't hear anything bad about those generators.

If you're using it primarily for backup power at home, just be sure to install a transfer switch next to your main power box. If you already know this...stop me.

It allows for the circuits you pick to be powered by your generator in case of an outage, and most importantly, will prevent you feeding power into the grid. The guy making repairs on the lines will thank you for that.

They only cost a couple hundred bucks, and a reasonably handy person can install it. They come with very good instructions.

We installed one a few years ago, and it's great to have power when it's out in the neighborhood.
Siamese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 04:18 PM   #3

Thank you for the information on the transfer switch!!! Will make sure to install one asap.
Old 08-13-2019, 07:55 PM   #4

I have a champion 4000/3500 generator that I’ve been running for about 8 years while camping. It doesn’t have electric start, so I have to manually start it every time. That’s not a problem since it always starts with just one pull as long as I remember to set the choke first. It’s also not duel fuel, just gas. It’s been a good little generator, especially for the money.
Weimaraner Duke
MichaelO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 08:01 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelO View Post
I have a champion 4000/3500 generator that I’ve been running for about 8 years while camping. It doesn’t have electric start, so I have to manually start it every time. That’s not a problem since it always starts with just one pull as long as I remember to set the choke first. It’s also not duel fuel, just gas. It’s been a good little generator, especially for the money.
Thanks for the feedback Michael! Spending a night at a Harvest Hosts Winery stay and will break in the new generator.
Old 08-13-2019, 08:07 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregory Peck View Post
Thanks for the feedback Michael! Spending a night at a Harvest Hosts Winery stay and will break in the new generator.
How quiet is yours?
Weimaraner Duke
MichaelO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 08:16 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelO View Post
How quiet is yours?
59 dBA the literature claims.
Old 08-13-2019, 08:21 PM   #8

We have that generator and love it. Can run our 377 with 1 ac on with no prob. My family used it in central Wisconsin for 3 weeks last month due to storms taking power out and had no issues. The remote is great and comes in handy for I don't need to go outside and pull a cord in the rain or cold! For the floating neutral see email below from Champion.
Hello Shawn,

This is because the generator is wired with a floating neutral which is very common for portable generators.

The easiest way to work around a camper that requires a neutral that is bonded to the ground is with an Edison plug that has the neutral bonded to the ground. You can pick up one of these from any electrical supply store or even make one up yourself with components purchased at Home Depot. Basically, the plug is going to have a single jumper wire between the ground and neutral post.

Here is a very good article about why generators are made this way and you can also see the experiences some other consumers have had.
Generator Ground-Neutral Bonding | No~Shock~Zone

Here is the FAQ regarding floating neutral from our own website as well:
WHAT IS "FLOATING NEUTRAL" AND HOW DOES IT AFFECT MY GENERATOR?
Most Champion Power Equipment generators have a "floating neutral", meaning that the neutral circuit is not connected to the frame or to earth ground. This also means that both legs on the receptacle are hot legs, which is normal for floating neutral generators. As a result, there is no specific hot leg and neutral leg wiring arrangement for the generator winding connection to the receptacle. The floating neutral configuration is common for applications such as connection to a recreational vehicle and connection to home power where the transfer switch does not switch out the neutral to ground connection.
The floating neutral eliminates the potential of being shocked by contacting a hot leg and the generator frame at the same time, which could occur if an electrical device such as a hand held tool suffered from an internal short circuit.
Meters or other devices intended to indicate polarity may not properly indicate polarity on a floating neutral circuit. Polarity indicators generally measure the voltage across the neutral and ground connectors. In electrical systems where the neutral is bonded to ground, the voltage will be zero and correct polarity will be indicated. In systems where the neutral is not bonded to ground, voltage is also not expected across this connection. However, in a portable generator some very small current voltage readings can be recorded by sensitive volt meters. This voltage may be induced in the frame by the magnetic field of the generator. The current associated with this induced voltage and the risk of electrical shock are negligible. However, very sensitive polarity meters may interpret this voltage as an indication of reversed connections.
If you have an indication of reversed polarity, please check with the manufacturer of your meter to determine if that reading capability applies to the floating neutral output from a portable generator.
Thank you,
Brian J. Downs | Champion Power Equipment, Inc.
12039 Smith Ave. | Santa Fe Springs, CA 90670
Tel (877) 338.0999 ext 401 | Fax (562) 236.9429
BrianD@cpeauto.com | championpowerequipment.com
"Many pretenders, some contenders, one Champion.
Attached Thumbnails
N-G Bonding Plug2.jpg  
Progressive EMS Hardwired
Beautiful Wife and Beautiful 11 YO Daughter
Standard Goldendoodle and Miniture Poodledoodle
Kahoneys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 08:24 PM   #9

I really like my Champion remote start generator.
Old 08-14-2019, 08:04 AM   #10

I have the Champion 3400W remote start generator and it's awesome. Powers my 15K BTU air conditioner no problem. I bought mine in the USA so it was an open/floating neutral and I had to make the bonding plug as shown above. If you are purchasing in Canada, it will already be ground/neutral bonded and you won't have to worry about that. Only downside is many if not all the Canadian models require an adapter to plug your shore power cord into the generator. That is why I chose to get a US model.
Old 08-14-2019, 08:25 AM   #11

I have the 3400. Love it. I bought mine for $600ish from
www.supergenproducts.com

I’ve bought 3 generators from them. They are great to work with.

Ask for Paul.

X
xkuzme1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 08:27 AM   #12

https://www.supergenproducts.com/catalog/p-100112/100204r-refurbished-28003100w-dual-fuel-inverter
xkuzme1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 06:30 PM   #13

Mine came with the adapter and we love it so far!
Old 08-30-2021, 08:42 PM   #14

3400 dual fuel modification

I had this genny for 4 years now and been working great powering my TT when I need it. One little issue is because I have a Canadian model, it doesn't have a built in TT-30R it has a twist lock style with a RV adapter.

Has anyone successfully modified thier generator and remove the twist lock and install a TT-30R?
ibra0078 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2021, 09:43 PM   #15

We have the dual fuel version! Really like it. We have used it more at home than we have while camping.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote