Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-04-2020, 01:48 PM   #1

Change to trailer?

I'm thinking of making a switch from motorhome to travel trailer. I want to be able to explore an area more thoroughly in a smaller vehicle, but I'm concerned about backing up without a spotter and how to handle my cat. I'm thinking about a 5000 GVW trailer towed by a Nissan Pathfinder or Ford Expedition, e.g. Any advice?
Techwoman57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 02:20 PM   #2

Well there is a few options. Have you considered a small car as a toad? Pending on your MH, you might even be able to get a small motorcycle/scooter and mount a rack on the back.

As for towing, there is a learning curve to backing up. I can backup by myself, but I have been practicing for years. But I have to admit backing up at night is a little more challenging, as there are no backup lights on the TT. But you can add them.

I almost always get out of the TV, before I back into a site. I determine where I want the TT, what obstructions are in the way.

I find large mirrors that stick way out, are extremely helpful, as you can see the bumper area on the TT.

Know anyone with a TV and a trailer, even a boat? If you can convince them, take it out on the highway, then go off to a warehouse like parking lot, and do some practice backing up.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 10:50 PM   #3

I've had many trailers and can back up without a spotter, although with our 36 foot Eagle I sure appreciate my wife doing that task. But if I needed help and no spotter, I think I'd look into her back up camera. Not sure it's the answer but I could check it out. And as for that trailer, I've had four expedition's although none of them with the new engines. I think they would be a very good tow vehicle for that trailer. I know they are rated to tow around 9000 lb but I would not be comfortable pulling nearly that much with an expedition.
'14 Denali XL
cekkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 12:17 AM   #4

I haul a Jayco x213...5500 lb GVW..tongue weight can be heavy..mine is 21’ box and has a rear King bed slide out that makes it 27. I pull it with a 1/2 ton pick up.
Old 11-05-2020, 01:42 PM   #5

A backup camera helps, certainly, if you remember to climb up and clean the lens from time to time... but I'd still recommend getting out and walking back there to look.

You'll get a much better idea of the space behind you, and the amount of "wiggle" room that you may have.

Jay Feather 19XUD, pushing a Jeep Grand Cherokee
WeRJuliian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 04:11 PM   #6

Backing up alone just requires patience. No matter what, if I need to back up I inspect teh route first. If I need to back up at night I set up 4 small lanterns to assure that I stay within the "open area." I also will exit my vehicle, both in daylight and at night at least twice while backing up. It takes more time but I haven't hit anything yet.
2019 Chevy express 2500 Van Coversion. 2017 Jayco 23MRB: 26' total and Glacier Package. 2 Renogy solar panels. Married 49 years. Haley the mutt, 4 years old. "Excited to learn new things everyday and humbled by those who offer to help." And very grateful to our Moderators!
travelingjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 06:14 PM   #7

You can add a camera and reverse lighting if needed. They sell a Furion system now with multiple cameras (rear and both side markers) that would be a great help. With a screen name like yours, it is made for you.

There are also smaller trailers (like a TAB) that you can literally turn around in the camping spot.

You can also add a backup spotter, but that just leads to arguments
madmaxmutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2020, 10:17 AM   #8

Just make sure the PAYLOAD (cargo carrying capacity) of the vehicle will allow for the weights (WDH, Tongue weight, whatever else you carry inside the vehicle).
If you only go by GVW then the payload is often over-looked!

2016 Jayflight 27BHS
2015 Ford F-250 Super cab LB, 4x4 6.2 L gas
kayakterp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2020, 06:25 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeRJuliian View Post
A backup camera helps, certainly, if you remember to climb up and clean the lens from time to time... but I'd still recommend getting out and walking back there to look.

You'll get a much better idea of the space behind you, and the amount of "wiggle" room that you may have.
Absolutely. That's a given. My bad for not saying that.
cekkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2020, 06:56 PM   #10
Site Team

snip...[QUOTE=Techwoman57;912235 but I'm concerned about backing up without a spotter and how to handle my cat.[/QUOTE]

There's an acronym used by truckers called G.O.A.L. (Get Out And Look). I've seen it on the outside mirrors of many trucks. It doesn't hurt to do that a couple of times if necessary.

Now when it comes to your cat, it really may want to help, but they make lousy spotters.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2020, 01:39 PM   #11

As for backing up, it's a skill that you can learn with a bit of patience and practice. I always use a spotter even though I have a backup camera on my trailer.

To tow a 5000 lb GVW camper, you need a tow vehicle that can handle about 7000 lbs or more. I don't know if the vehicles you mention have that capacity. The vehicle has to support the weight of the tow tong plus passengers and cargo in the vehicle. Normally, the cargo capacity includes about 150 lbs for the driver but check your owner's manual. You probably need a weight-distributing hitch. As a guide, don't exceed about 80% of either the cargo or tow capacity.
RichCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2020, 02:31 PM   #12

Hello fellow Glampers and Campers, When I drove tractor-trailers,over the road, 48 and Canada, there is a reminder next to the driver's mirror and dash, that reads, G.O.A.L! "Get Out And Look"! You could get fired by not doing this!
Billandcarole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2020, 03:52 PM   #13

Update: I bought an F-150 with towing package, including trailer backing assist. The Micro Minnie I've picked out has a gross weight rating of 5500 lbs, and I'm getting the weight distribution hitch. I think I'm good!
Techwoman57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2020, 03:53 PM   #14

I don't have a backup camera nor do I really need one. My 28BHBE is 33 feet long and my Expedition is about 20 feet long.
I get parallel to where I want to back in.
I drove trucks as well for awhile. Like Billand Carole said......
Get out take a walk back to and around the campsite. MAKE SURE YOU LOOK UP TOO! MANY PEOPLE LOOK THE CAMPSITE OVER BUT DO NOT LOOK UP AT TREES AND BRANCHES..
Then I start to back in. If any doubt, I get out and go have a look see. SLOW & CAREFUL!

2012 Ford Expedition EL
2016 28BHBE, Elite and Thermal Packages.
Equal-i-zer 4-point Sway Control, Southwire 34930 Surge Guard 30A, Tire Minder TPMS A1A
(2) Yamaha EF2000iS Generators, Micro-Air EasyStart™ 364 (3-ton) Soft Start, Garmin RV 890, GoodYear Endurance ST225/75-15 Load Range E
RAurand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2020, 05:37 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Techwoman57 View Post
Update: I bought an F-150 with towing package, including trailer backing assist.
You'll be happy with that combination. Hope you went for the 10-speed and either 3.5 echoboost or V8. Even the 2.7 V6 would probably tow it but you'll be happier with the larger engine.
RichCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2020, 06:56 PM   #16

Send a message via Skype™ to ALJO
Learn to backup the proper way. Hands on the bottom of the steering wheel determines the back of the trailer direction. Means bottom steering wheel left means trailer back left.
Pro Series 1200 lbs. WDH with Double Sway Bar.
Champion 3100/2800 watt Inverter/Generator-Onboard Solar Power
ALJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2020, 07:16 PM   #17

As others have said, install backup cameras. While it's not complicated, I found installing wired units weren't worth the savings compared to wireless. Go with a wireless set that gets good reviews.

Your cat. Animals AFAIK are not allowed to be loose in the trailer when you're pulling it. Perhaps in a cage. You would need to google that. But, I live in Fla. I wouldn't chance the cat back there in the summer heat. I would recommend sectioning off part of the car, or using a crate.
Old 11-19-2020, 12:08 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCx213 View Post
I haul a Jayco x213...5500 lb GVW..tongue weight can be heavy..mine is 21’ box and has a rear King bed slide out that makes it 27. I pull it with a 1/2 ton pick up.
Ditto here. I also have and love my X-213 with the king-bed rear slide. One detail not provided here is that it's tow length is about 24'.

My ancient 2006 RAM 1500 handles this with ease...with only airbags to cope with the tongue weight. The rig tows well even in heavy crosswinds...without a weight distribution hitch (WDH). But, I don't recommend AGAINST a WDH...it just turns out that 600# of tongue weight on my half-ton pickup - with Firestone air bags to compensate - is no problem.

There's a helluva difference between a Pathfinder (NO) and an Expedition (YES) which is essentially the SUV version of a Ford F-150. Forget the Nissan. It's not really enough truck. And if you meant to say "Explorer", also fuggedaboudit!! "Can" they tow that much? Perhaps. Should they tow that much? No way. Certainly not in the mountains.

Stick with a "full sized", body on frame TRUCK to tow 5000#+. If you are shopping for something much smaller - let's say a GeoPro or something in that class - you can tow with a mid-sized, but it will be a poor, cramped replacement for a motorhome.

You're mighty sparse on info in your post. What is your motorhome? What is your concern for your pet? How do you do backing your motorhome? There's a big spread between a Class B and a Class A diesel pusher.

I'll presume a Class C for the moment and suggest that your switch will cost you a ton. Whatever you get out of your Class C will still likely be a loss...even in a hot used RV market. Why? Because the new market is equally hot, so you gain nothing in real dollars even if you sell your Class C at what seems to be a great price. You'll pay top dollar for a new trailer in today's hot COVID market.

Then there's the tow vehicle. I presume you don't have an Expedition parked in your driveway. If you do, that's great, but if not, the cost of one of those will come as a shock. Let's say that your new RV (trailer) costs $30,000 and your new SUV costs $50,000 or more (new). That looks like about $80,000 to me. Swap in a 4-door pickup instead, and you might save a few thousand dollars.

Which brings us to a "TOAD"...a small car towed behind the motorhome. You most definitely cannot backup with that thing attached, but it IS easy to unhitch the TOAD and park it somewhere while you back the motorhome into position. On the road, you need only remain cognizant that the only direction is forward...at gas stations, and so on.

With a TOAD, you can have a nice, relatively cheap, used Corolla, RAV 4 or CRV or one of several great vehicles from S. Korea (KIA, Hyundai) - unlike the Expedition (or half-ton pickup), these are eminently reliable and cheap to operate at home or on an RV trip. It may cost you $1500 to $2000 to get your TOAD fully ready to be one including hitch, lighting controllers, brake controller, and so on. Generally money well spent. In my case, my daily driver is a RAV-4, and the pickup is used exclusively for work and towing. My 2006 has 98,000 miles on it.

As for the pet...whatever you've worked out in the motorhome will probably work in an Expedition. Perhaps less so in a mid-sized tow vehicle (TV). At worst, you might have to get a wire barrier for the back of the front seat row to keep the pet from climbing into the front seat. But if this isn't a problem in the motorhome, I can't imagine why it would be an issue in a TV.

So, unless there's another pressing reason to abandon the motorhome in favor of a TV and trailer (e.g. age, poor reliability, not a good fit anymore, etc.) I'd go with your motorhome and a TOAD. A subcompact car/CUV is far more enjoyable to drive around at your vacation site than a big half-ton truck is anyway. Unless you're a serious off-roader (needing a Jeep), a RAV-4, CRV, or Korean equivalent "soft roader" will go ANYWHERE an Expedition will go unless it's lifted, wearing giant tires, and has skid plates. Mine will go anywhere my box-stock RAM 1500 four door 4WD will go...more in fact, because it's MUCH smaller, narrower, shorter and so on.

That's my 2 cents...worth every penny.
jimmoore13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 10:27 AM   #19

Your choice of trailer weight and vehicles to tow would work well! Be sure to use a weight distribution hitch and some form of anti-sway!

Backing is a matter of training your brain to think backwards! With some practice you to get proficient.

Find an empty parking lot, lots of them nowadays, and select a spot away from all obstacles, features, light polls, etc. Use the lines as a parking spot to back into.

Always get out and look were you want to go! Use your mirrors! Adjust to see the rear wheels when the trailer swings. In practice, "appropriate" a couple cones to help delineate where you're supposed to go, returning them of coarse when finished!, Lol!

A few things: Longer the trailer, slower the swing. Shorter the trailer, faster the swing. Same applies for the tow vehicle. Glance for obstacles the front of the tow vehicle as it swings. Looking through your mirrors, turn the wheel in the direction you want the trailer to go!

Start by backing up in a straight line making the small corrections needed. Get comfortable then start turning into a parking space!

Have some fun! In a few hours you will be a pro!
1946 Modernistic Teardrop Camper (10ft body, restored)
Hotrod6 is offline   Reply With Quote