Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-25-2016, 10:54 AM   #1

Check plumbing fittings

Over the weekend, I went under the kitchen sink to grab the dish strainer. I noticed the upper shelf that it sits on was covered with a good amount of water.

At first I thought it was one of the drains of the double sink because when I was investigating where the water was coming from I noticed that both rings that hold the drains to the bottom of the sinks were very loose. I tightened them up, but noticed a quarter sized puddle of water after about a half hour.

Come to find out, the connectors that feed the hot and cold water to the faucet were a bit loose also. The hot connection was the leaky culprit. One tiny drip at a time. I tightened both the hot and cold fittings with a couple of wrenches and it appears that the leak has stopped. I urge all you folks with new rigs to check all the plumbing fittings to make sure they're good and tight.
Old 07-25-2016, 10:09 PM   #2

Mine was the shower drain, drips in the basement loose.
2000 F250SD SRW 7.3 LB Extended Cab Air Bags
2002 Western Star 4900EX 500 Detroit 13sp.
2014 Eagle 30.5BHLT (sold)
Edd505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 10:25 PM   #3

Put it on your yearly check list.
Tunce the traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 10:35 PM   #4

Ours was the cap on the top of the water pump coming loose. It unscrews so a metal screen can be replaced. Also had to reseal the threads on both the inlet and outlet fittings of the hot water tank after the first season. As suggested - it's on a check list, though I am currently checking several times over the course of this season. Fortunately both are very easy to get to.
TT: 2015 Jay Flight SLX 195RB Baja Edition, Andersen No-Sway (Traded in)
ttavasc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 10:50 PM   #5

Both of my kitchen sinks leaked too. It was the traps leaking.

After I noticed the kitchen sink leaking (the first night after delivery) I checked/tightened the bathroom sink and shower traps for leaks/tightness. They were all a little loose.

I also tightened the large ring nut on the sink drain itself. It is installed on the top with plumbers putty for the top seal and a rubber gasket on the bottom on top of the ring nut on the drain. The plumbers putty tends to squeeze out of the top until it fully seats permanently causing the drain nut to become loose.

I think after a thousand miles or so of towing its probably normalish for a new trailers plumbing to settle/loosen at first. I check them every few months now. I haven't had them loosen up since initially tightening.

To me it wasn't a big deal. I almost felt like I should have expected these things to loosen being a new trailer/plumbing. I'm just happy I found them before it created a problem.

I guess it's like having your wheel bearings tightened or brakes adjusted on a new trailer after a thousand miles or so. Normal brake in period adjustments.
Reese SC Weight Distrubition with sway control (12,000lb)
Jhowemca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 06:42 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jhowemca View Post

I think after a thousand miles or so of towing its probably normalish for a new trailers plumbing to settle/loosen at first. I check them every few months now. I haven't had them loosen up since initially tightening.
I agree, but in my case the trailer hasn't/doesn't moved. It's at a seasonal site so it get no tow stress. I'm thinking all this stuff was loose from the get go. I still need to check ALL the rest of the fittings this weekend when I'm there
Old 07-29-2016, 08:55 AM   #7

Yup, my spots were the shower drain and the black tank flush inlet. At the start of every season, when the cabinets are fairly empty, and at least one other time when I feel like playing with the camper I recheck everything I can reach.

On our last trip I found that our black tank flush check valve was leaking a little.

I guess it is to be expected considering we drag these pretty complex boxes down the highways and byways.
hbravo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 09:43 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tunce the traveler View Post
^^^ +1

Your TT is subjected to a mini earthquake every time you drive it down the road, and there are lots of compression connections in the system. They can vibrate loose over time. I try to remember to check mine every year when de-winterizing, and often find one or two that need a turn or two to snug up.
bankr63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 06:19 AM   #9

My outside kitchen faucets were never tightened
FoxRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 12:17 PM   #10

"Come to find out, the connectors that feed the hot and cold water to the faucet were a bit loose also. The hot connection was the leaky culprit. One tiny drip at a time."

We had the exact same thing happen - the first couple of times that I saw a puddle I would get turn the water on and dry off the supply lines and drains and couldn't feel anything wet. By turning the faucet on first it must have taking enough pressure off the supplies so that it would not leak. Once I turned the faucet off I could feel the drip - tightened both lines and no drips!
EPH 461 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 12:37 PM   #11

Switched mine

I cut off the PEX connections and used a sharkbite to connect braided stainless supply hoses. This have a rubber washer that provides some back pressure and keeps the fitting tight. I have done this on every camper I have even owned. Never had an issue with them being loose.
ArvdaJayco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 01:53 PM   #12

This is a timely thread. On our last camping trip we arrived and right away my wife noticed a huge pool of water on the floor while setting up. I quickly discovered that the trap below the kitchen sink had come completely undone and separated and the water poured down the sink was flowing straight onto the floor!

It didn't take much time to put it all back together and have it tightened up properly again with no further leaks. Biggest trouble was cleaning up the mess of water. I ended up checking all the other connections as well as was able to add a little extra tightening to most.

Bought the trailer new in 2011 and don't believe I'd ever tightened any of the plumbing connections until this disaster. Definitely will be checking them periodically. With all the driving and washboard gravel roads we've been on I'm not surprised that things have loosened up.

As an additional anecdote, when I bought this trailer I added one of those child/pet grates to cover the bottom of the screen door. It has one screw in it that keeps the vertical bars centred in the middle of the assembly. Each time we arrive at our new destination that screw has completely backed itself out, no matter how much I'd tightened it up since the last episode. Vibration can really cause threaded items to loosen, so need to be always checking those things from time to time.
Old 07-30-2016, 03:45 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tunce the traveler View Post
Exactly. I check all my water fittings during the de-winterizing phase.
2017 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD Z71
SMS1115 is offline   Reply With Quote