Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-24-2018, 11:04 PM   #1

Question Chev Traction/Sway Control off or on?

I have had 2 chev dealers tell me to turn of the traction/sway control on my 2014 Silverado when pulling my travel trailer. It is a 2wd with 5.3 engine and a Curt WDH and sway bars. In two years have never had a serious sway issue and cruise at 60-62 MPH. Should I turn it off or leave it on? Chev videos show it being left on as it automatically brakes if a sway is detected faster than a driver can react. It also engages the auto down hill feature.
Chet & Marie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 06:11 AM   #2
BJR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chet & Marie View Post
I have had 2 chev dealers tell me to turn of the traction/sway control on my 2014 Silverado when pulling my travel trailer. It is a 2wd with 5.3 engine and a Curt WDH and sway bars. In two years have never had a serious sway issue and cruise at 60-62 MPH. Should I turn it off or leave it on? Chev videos show it being left on as it automatically brakes if a sway is detected faster than a driver can react. It also engages the auto down hill feature.
I believe the video is correct - the sway control is tied to the Stabilitrak. I would not consider for a second turning it off unless the manual says to do it.

https://www.gmfleet.com/technology/stabilitrak.html

"Trailer Sway Control.
Working in conjunction with the StabiliTrak® electronic stability control system and Integrated Trailer Brake Controller (if equipped), the Trailer Sway Control feature on select GM vehicles senses trailer sway and automatically applies the vehicle and trailer brakes and reduces engine power, if necessary, to help you get back on track."
Old 07-25-2018, 06:14 AM   #3

Most newer model PU's have this feature, I've never turned it off with my set up but have read where some people have. I think it depends entirely on your specific rig and how it is set up. Some TT's tow better with it turned off, while some behave with it on. Check out some Chevy truck forums and see what other owners have tried or discovered.

You will need to find someone with your same set up or very close, even how the TT or PU is loaded can affect the towing experience from my readings.
Equalizer WDH
TV 2018 F150 FX4 SC 3.5EB TP/MT
jimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 07:53 AM   #4

It's been a long time, but IIRC, someone mentioned that the variable braking in the stabilitrak system (or others) could affect the braking signal sent to the trailer during a "maneuvering event"?

That could also have only been in units with the integrated trailer brake controller. With a separate brake controller, that's not an issue since it uses sensors inside the unit itself to send a proportional signal directly to the trailer brakes.

I remember reading that somewhere, but for the life of me I can't remember where...

FWIW, my truck had ITBC, and I never turned off any of the traction control features.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 10:12 AM   #5

We never turn ours off.

https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...ome-41831.html
01tundra is offline   Reply With Quote