Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-15-2015, 06:40 PM   #1

Chil N Stor

Just wondering if anyone that has the Chil N Stor option can provide any insight as to the fridge?

I have found that it is 1.7 cu ft, but not sure if it is basically a AC/DC cooler, or a true three-way fridge (ie. gas/AC/DC). Trying to figure out if it is worth it to order with the trailer, or get an aftermarket fridge.

Based on the pricing of after-market 3 way fridges at $600+ vs the 2 way (AC/DC) from WalMart at $200, I assume it is a 2 way since Jayco only wants $200 MSRP for it.

Looking for someone to confirm...thanks

TommyAjax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 07:39 PM   #2

Pretty sure it is 110v only.

datadr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 07:45 PM   #3

Ours Chill N Store on our 2015 23rb is 110 only and I would not pay anything extra for it. The outside weather was not hot and the drinks we put in there never got anything near cold. No temp adjustment that we could find. If I wanted an outside frig, I'd purchase my own. I think you could get one cheaper and one that would work better IMHO!
gloryb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 08:03 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by gloryb View Post
Ours Chill N Store on our 2015 23rb is 110 only and I would not pay anything extra for it. The outside weather was not hot and the drinks we put in there never got anything near cold. No temp adjustment that we could find. If I wanted an outside frig, I'd purchase my own. I think you could get one cheaper and one that would work better IMHO!
I think someone on this site mentioned a temp setting dial(?) in a virtually inaccessible location, way at the rear, on one of the sides of the Chill N Store.
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 08:19 AM   #5

My 28BHS does not have the chill n store option and I wouldn't go for it on a new purchase either. It greatly reduces the storage capacity, makes getting larger items in and out more difficult, and as others have stated it doesn't really work that well. Drinks go in a cooler with ice when we camp, and that way they are truly ice cold and portable as well. Overrated option, in my opinion.
SkyBound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 08:31 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanAZ View Post
I think someone on this site mentioned a temp setting dial(?) in a virtually inaccessible location, way at the rear, on one of the sides of the Chill N Store.
I think DH looked all over ours to find the temp adjustment knob but we'll look again. We didn't receive any paperwork on this so-called frig in our packet either. Will check with the dealer. In the meantime we'll continue with our cooler and ice. Has done well for us for years too!
gloryb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 08:34 AM   #7

IMO you just identified the major issue with outdoor kitchens and the chil-n-store, it requires electrical hookup to be useful and can't stay on when towing.
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 09:23 AM   #8

fridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by gloryb View Post
I think DH looked all over ours to find the temp adjustment knob but we'll look again. We didn't receive any paperwork on this so-called frig in our packet either. Will check with the dealer. In the meantime we'll continue with our cooler and ice. Has done well for us for years too!
The dial is on the right side of the back of the fridge. You need to reach in and you'll find a small cutout of the wood behind the fridge. You can also turn the fridge off that way too, to save power if you're running off of battery.
Old 05-16-2015, 09:26 AM   #9

Chil N Stor

We find the outdoor fridge handy especially if we are staying somewhere for a few nights or so. Keeps the TT door from being opened and closed for the kids to get drinks and snacks. Also a great beer fridge! If you chill it down before a trip and stock with cold ones, they tend to stay cold for when you arrive. Helps the whole setup process

Not having to deal with ice is also convenient. But I can see both sides here. It's really a preference.

Derek

2014 White Hawk 28DSBH
2012 F150 EcoBoost MaxTow
Reese 1200 WDH / Dual Cam Sway Control
dmward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 09:40 AM   #10

Don't spend the money. Many of us have removed ours. If you decide you want an outdoor fridge, you can find a better one much cheaper. It is 110 only, takes up space, makes heat, setting dial is on back. Crazy to access when it is bolted down. Freezer is so small it is useless.

my toys is offline   Reply With Quote