Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-25-2020, 09:05 AM   #1

Childproofing concern

I just bought a 2021 Jayco Jayfeather X213. There is a pack and play door leading to the bottom bunk (the mattress flips up to allow storage for bikes). The problem is that even if this small door is locked on the outside, it can be opened from the inside. I am concerned about my 3 year old opening the door during the night while in the bottom bunk. Can you recommend any products that might solve this concern? A new lock or other creative child proofing solution?
Attached Thumbnails
13BC52E3-601D-4719-AD93-D824B35D3FBE.jpg  
ladyt8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 09:29 AM   #2

It's probably an emergency exit door for that bunk that is why it can be opened. I'd look into an alarm.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Bescita-W...BoCwLMQAvD_BwE
Old 11-25-2020, 09:55 AM   #3

I use a similar product on the same door situation I have on my Jayco X254. I buy them by the pair at Lowe's.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/GE-Window-S...ack/1000118561

Jerry B.
"Stateboy" (Formerly "36fire412")
SW Lower Michigan
2016 X254
2012 Toyota Tundra Crewmax TRD 4x4
stateboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 10:23 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyt8 View Post
I just bought a 2021 Jayco Jayfeather X213. There is a pack and play door leading to the bottom bunk (the mattress flips up to allow storage for bikes). The problem is that even if this small door is locked on the outside, it can be opened from the inside. I am concerned about my 3 year old opening the door during the night while in the bottom bunk. Can you recommend any products that might solve this concern? A new lock or other creative child proofing solution?
Rig up an outside "cow bell" on the door which will sound when opened. Have the child sleep on the top bunk.
sbarlag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 11:49 AM   #5

Duct tape works.......uhhhhh never mind.

PaulB12
PaulB12 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 12:09 PM   #6

Welcome Aboard!

My thought is training! I do not have that door on my HTT. But I have tent ends that have zip open end windows for an emergency exit. Not as convenient as a door to slip out nor as fun to play with.

I have trained my kids that the end window screen zipper is not a play toy. I still remind them every spring and periodically (more frequently when they were younger) that is for emergency use only. In my case, I remind them also that the end window zippers are always to be zipped up to the top center. This way in an emergency anyone can find there way out quickly (without having to search). To reinforce this notion of an emergency exit, we did a few emergency exit drills (kids loved it when they were young). We also discussed where to meet if they ever had to exit due to a fire or other emergency, same rule no matter the campground. It was great training for them. I have no issues with the kids messing around with the zippers. They now get bored with me when I remind them (teenagers ).

I would not block the door or make it extremely difficult to open. Kids are masters of over coming obstacles, so training is best.

You should watch a few YouTube videos on how fast campers go up in flames. They can be full engulfed in just 2-3 minutes in the right conditions (scary how fast), and 5-7 minutes if it takes a little time to get started.

Hope I did not scare you

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote