Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-05-2015, 01:55 PM   #1

Chocking on an incline?? Suggestions?

Ok our new Jayco gets here in 2 weeks so I need to get ready. We have the little yellow Chock blocks from our PUP. The Jayco is so much bigger though. I will need to park it in my driveway for a couple days to test it out and get everything set up. My driveway has a bit of an incline to it so I don't know that I trust those little yellow chocks. I'm ordering the anderson levelers so I guess those will technically chock one side. What does everyone recommend for making sure my camper stays where it belongs? thanks
MommieMara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 02:10 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by MommieMara View Post
Ok our new Jayco gets here in 2 weeks so I need to get ready. We have the little yellow Chock blocks from our PUP. The Jayco is so much bigger though. I will need to park it in my driveway for a couple days to test it out and get everything set up. My driveway has a bit of an incline to it so I don't know that I trust those little yellow chocks. I'm ordering the anderson levelers so I guess those will technically chock one side. What does everyone recommend for making sure my camper stays where it belongs? thanks
You do know that you need to chock BOTH SIDES, right? If you don't it could 'spin.'

Beyond that, you'll need to decide what chocks you need. Maybe one Anderson and one yellow chock on each side. It's a tough call for anyone 'out here', not knowing the driveway incline and trailer.

I do suggest, that if it is a travel trailer, leave the chains connected as you unhitch and chock your unit. That will keep it from running away (please don't ask me how I know that!).
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 02:16 PM   #3

Oh yes I know I need to do both sides. I was implying that the anderson levelers could be used for one side but I still have the other side. Its a Jay Flight 28 bhbe. Incline is steep enough it would roll. I cn tell you its not really steep just a slope. My husband and I can manually push our PUP up the driveway with out to much effort. So not flt but not a hill by any means. I am looking at the X xhoxk stabilizers and rubber chock blocks and a million other things and just wondering what I need since the little yellow things seem so small for the new TT. They were fine for the light weight pup
Old 03-05-2015, 02:21 PM   #4

x-chocks and/or the large wheel chocks. The x-chocks will work on really slippery flat/inclined surfaces, better than the wheel chocks of any size. The plastic wheel chocks can slip and slide a little until they bite between the ground and the tire. The combination will be the best.

2014 Jayco Jay Flight 32 BHDS
2015 Ford F-250 Lariat 6.7L Powerstroke 4x4
nunyadamn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 02:22 PM   #5

I don't trust the yellow chocks. I had them for the first two seasons and replaced them with rubber chocks from Harbor Freight. In my experience, the plastic chocks do not provide enough friction between them and the ground and they tend to slide easily. I had two instances last season where the yellow chocks slid on an small gravel incline...one of which resulted in the TT pivoting because I didn't have chocks on both sides as oldmanAZ suggested.
Iraqvet05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 02:24 PM   #6

Chocks in back of front tires and leveling blocks behind rear tires, but 4 chocks would best. Run over to Harbor Freight they have some good rubber and plastic chocks that are reasonable.
Old 03-05-2015, 02:25 PM   #7

My husband was wondering if the X chocks are ok. He read something about them popping tires. the reviews on amazon seem good though. The BAL 28005 Deluxe Tire Chock doesn't look as pointy. I just want to make sure I order the right thing before it comes in. Thanks
Old 03-05-2015, 03:26 PM   #8

We use Anderson Levelers, X-Chocks, and this: http://www.amazon.com/BAL-28000A-Sta...rds=bal+chocks

We put plastic chocks on the outside of the two wheels as well just to be extra safe.
mitchmitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 05:33 PM   #9

I use a 1/4 round piece of fire wood and X - chocks. Cheap has two purposes in camp if I can find a rock to replace it.
.......Roof Satellite Dish, Vent Covers, Bedroom Vent Fan,
.......Rear Reciever, 12V DC Outlets (6), 320W Solar & Controller,
.......4 Lifeline AGM Batteries (600 Ah @ 12V),
.......Stereo Upgraded, Interior Speaker Upgrade, Amp
Imnaha.Mansion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 06:15 PM   #10

Thanks everyone! You sold me on the X-Chocks. I was going back and forth on buying them for our 23MB that's on order. But, I would rather err on the side of safety and use them along with the Anderson levelers that I will order. After reading all of the posts in this thread, you all helped me make up my mind. Plus an added bonus, CW has the X chocks on sale. So we'll definitely go pick up a pair.
2015 Jayco Jay Flight 23MB Elite
Previous RV's, 1988 33-foot Barth Class A and 1994 Flagstaff Pop-Up
Desert RVers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 07:46 PM   #11

I use the yellow plastic ones. I have a steep driveway and an incline in my back yard where it park my trailer at the end of the driveway. No problem with them. I did forget to put them behind my back wheels one time and trailer almost rolled into the creek behind my house. Tongue jack managed to dig into the dirt and gravel. Now I have a check list to try to keep such things from happening.

The yellow chocks have an end date stamped into them. Maybe get brittle at that point.
2010 Jayco JayFlight 26BH sold
Yamaha EF2000is Generators (2)
1996 Honda CB750 Nighthawk
Nighthawk 96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 09:32 PM   #12

I use between the wheel chocks and a piece of wedge shaped wood if I don't have the tires too far up on leveling blocks
Old 03-07-2015, 01:28 PM   #13

X-chox!

X-Chox a big yes! I had to get the extra width one for my MB 21 because of the wider spaced tandem axles, but love them! Not only do they absolutely prevent any rolling, but because they don't even allow any "rocking" of the tires, they provide a noticeable stability when you're inside! The tongue jack always allows some front-to-back rocking...the Xchox stop this.
Dgrdale2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 01:36 PM   #14

Chocking

Another handy trick...if you're unhooking on an incline and worried about your trailer taking off before you can chock it, pull out your emergency breakaway cable! This will (should) lock up your trailer brakes even if you're unhooked. You should be performing this test routinely anyways. Just remember to pop it back in after you're done chocking or it'll drain your battery!
Dgrdale2000 is offline   Reply With Quote