Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-18-2018, 07:40 AM   #1

City Water Connection-Using for First time

This weekend will be the first time for me using the City Water Connection. Is it ok to keep the Fresh Water Tanks filled when using City Water connection? From what I understand its ok, just no need to turn on the water pump. Is this correct?
DMobley232 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 07:42 AM   #2

City Water Connection-Using for First time

Yes that’s correct. When using the city water connection the fresh water tanks are out of the equation... so that water will just sit there. And like u said u will not turn the water pump on. Have a great trip!
SouthCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 08:40 AM   #3

You might want to consider using a water pressure regulator at the spigot before turning on the water to your unit. Don't forget to open a hot side tap as the water will fill the water heater first releasing the air trapped in the heater.
TCNashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 11:26 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCNashville View Post
You might want to consider using a water pressure regulator at the spigot before turning on the water to your unit. Don't forget to open a hot side tap as the water will fill the water heater first releasing the air trapped in the heater.
Never did use it as plans changed, but will be using this weekend. I purchased a regulator as you suggested and will use that.
Can you explain a little more on the "Hot Side Tap" not sure I am following you there. Also, do I just keep the water turned on at all times?
Old 10-10-2018, 11:31 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCNashville View Post
I looked at my manual and this is what it states, is this what you are referring to?

"The water heater (if so equipped) will fill first, followed by the supply lines and faucets. Water heater bypass valves (if so equipped) A and B must be open to allow water into the water heater, valve C should be closed. Refer to the water Heater bypass section."
Old 10-10-2018, 11:36 AM   #6

After you connect to the city water and turn it on, open your faucets both hot and cold so the air in the lines has a place to go. Make sure your hot water tank is full before turning it on. As the water flows without sputtering, you know that line (hot or cold) is full and you can turn that faucet off.

No problem keeping a full tank while on city water. No reason to but won't hurt anything. Water pump is only used when using the water in your tank

Have Fun !

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 11:38 AM   #7

You want to open one of the hot water faucets so that when water begins to fill the hot water tank the air in the tank has somewhere to escape rather than building pressure in the system.

2018 Jayco 28RLS
2012 F-250 6.2L 3.73
Equalizer Hitch
Yamaha 2400ISHC
2edgesword is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 04:47 PM   #8

From the manual, i'm trying to see if I am setup correctly for water to flow into the hot water tank, however, my setup doesn't look anything like the manual. Can you tell if I am setup correctly from the pictures to allow water into my hot water tank. I can barely even get back to the hot water tank
Attached Thumbnails
file-19.jpg  
Old 10-10-2018, 04:50 PM   #9

I know it gets hot water when we use from the fresh water tanks from the gravity fill, because we have used that before, just have never relied on the city connection.
Old 10-10-2018, 05:01 PM   #10

What TCNashville is referring to is the fact that air builds up in the water lines. You only need to open the faucets allowing the air to escape so you do not burn up the element inside the hot water tank. You also have a relief valve on the outside of the tank which does the same thing. Let's the air escape.

2019 Whitehawk 28RL
2018 Ford F150 3.5 Ecoboost w/3.55

Dennis, Cindy, Philip, and Sarah
Ohiofinlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 05:05 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiofinlander View Post
What TCNashville is referring to is the fact that air builds up in the water lines. You only need to open the faucets allowing the air to escape so you do not burn up the element inside the hot water tank. You also have a relief valve on the outside of the tank which does the same thing. Let's the air escape.
Thanks. I was trying to verify valves a and b open like the Manua says and I finally found those and they are open, I just can’t find the valve c that says should be closed.
Old 10-11-2018, 09:33 PM   #12

Don't know the year of your trailer, but my 2017 Jay Flight 23RB only has two valves for by-passing the water heater.

My manual mentions the old 3 valve method of by-passing the water heater, but Jayco had changed systems when they built my trailer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMobley232 View Post
Thanks. I was trying to verify valves a and b open like the Manua says and I finally found those and they are open, I just can’t find the valve c that says should be closed.

2014 F150 SC, 4x4, HD Pkg, Sterling Gray
Atlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 08:03 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlee View Post
Don't know the year of your trailer, but my 2017 Jay Flight 23RB only has two valves for by-passing the water heater.

My manual mentions the old 3 valve method of by-passing the water heater, but Jayco had changed systems when they built my trailer.
Mine is a 2017. I agree with you that the there is no 3rd valve. Thank You.
Old 10-15-2018, 04:13 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlee View Post

So if I was to put RV antifreeze for winterization, do I just need to close a and b since I don’t have the c valve?