Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-20-2020, 11:16 AM   #21

If you boondock a lot like I do, it is worth the expense of installing the SeeLevel monitoring system. It solves the sensor problem permanently. Also gives a much better reading on tank fullness.

Owning an RV is not cheap. It is like the old boat saying - "A boat is a hole in the water into which you pour money." I am constantly modifying things and maybe one day will be done (then again maybe not).

Bought my rig new as an upgrade to a 25 year old Lance camper. Thought by having a new rig that I would no longer need to work on it before every trip. WRONG!

Seems like after every trip I want to change something. Guess that is the fun of it.
Attached Thumbnails
Capture.JPG  

Jim

Retired electronic technician (45 years in the field)
2017 Greyhawk 29W (solar & many other mods)
wife (maybe I should have given her top billing)
JimD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 12:42 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaftCoach View Post
It seems that everyone wants a top of the line system. So why do manufactures offer units with less than top of the line components? Why aren't Goodyear tires installed? Why isn't every 5th wheel standard with two AC units? Why doesn't every TT come with LED lights? Why did my unit come with an analog thermostat instead of a digital?
It is all what the buyer is willing to pay for. I have the same trailer as you and it came with GY Endurance tires, an upgraded 15k AC, LED lights and digital thermostat. But I’ll bet I paid more than you. Funny thing, as a newbie, I really didn’t know I wanted or needed those things. I just got the best deal I could. The more educated we are as consumers, the more responsive manufacturers will be to what we will — and won’t — buy.
😁 "If a man says he’ll fix something, he will. There’s no need to remind him every 6 months.
LuckyDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 01:31 PM   #23

Not to hijack the OP, but when people say they put this additive, or that chemical in their tanks and add a few gallons of water to solve a sensor reading issue, I don't get it. If the holding tank in question, mine are 37&50 gallon respectively, how is adding a few gallons of water going to do anything? My 37 gallon tank would require 12.3 gallons just to reach the 1/3 full sensor and the 50 would be 16.7. Am I missing something? I don't doubt the effectiveness of some solutions to this problem but 5 gallons in a 50 gallon tank doesn't seem like it would help much, even driving it around to slosh in there. I do agree these sensors suck, generally.

Andy, Sherrie, Dixie, and Daisy
2020 Jayco 336FBOK Modern Farmhouse
2020 Chevy Silverado 2500 SRW Duramax 10 speed GM/ Allison
CURT Q20 on R20 Slider
AndyO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 02:40 PM   #24
CAG

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredOne View Post
I think many people just want stuff to work as advertised, without problems the first year of ownership.
It is not about working as advertised. The question was why do they expect top of the line and complain when they don't get it. Simply because you cannot have top of the line and pay Dollar Store prices. You are not going to get a Mercedes at the price of a Ford Falcon. Better parts and better construction in the Mercedes. Or at least they tell you that. COST, MONEY, TIME ON THE CONSTRUCTION LINE.

And even that is no guarantee: I had a BMW that BMW finally bought back (Lemon Law) because it had so many problems, over and over.

"It seems that everyone wants a top of the line system. So why do manufactures offer units with less than top of the line components? Why aren't Goodyear tires installed? Why isn't every 5th wheel standard with two AC units? Why doesn't every TT come with LED lights? Why did my unit come with an analog thermostat instead of a digital?"

CAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 02:45 PM   #25
CAG

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyO View Post
Not to hijack the OP, but when people say they put this additive, or that chemical in their tanks and add a few gallons of water to solve a sensor reading issue, I don't get it. If the holding tank in question, mine are 37&50 gallon respectively, how is adding a few gallons of water going to do anything? My 37 gallon tank would require 12.3 gallons just to reach the 1/3 full sensor and the 50 would be 16.7. Am I missing something? I don't doubt the effectiveness of some solutions to this problem but 5 gallons in a 50 gallon tank doesn't seem like it would help much, even driving it around to slosh in there. I do agree these sensors suck, generally.
Yes, what you are missing is that the few gallons of water and Dawn, or some cleaning chemical sloshes around inside the tank and cleans the sensors. Look up GEO METHOD for tank cleaning.

It is common to add some cleaning chemical, I prefer Dawn, and about 10 gallons of water and then go on the road to my next destination. I then dump when I arrive. You would be amazed how dirty the water is when you thought you cleaned the tank well.

Old 07-20-2020, 02:48 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredOne View Post
I think many people just want stuff to work as advertised, without problems the first year of ownership.
Which is a great point. Would Jayco be better off to not include tank sensors or make them options? Let's not include the $50 version at all, only offer a $500* from the factory option.

*Sea Level at retail is a $275 or so product. With multiple markups from the factory and dealer then labor plus future warranty work a to the consumer price of $500 isn't unreasonable.
Old 07-20-2020, 02:53 PM   #27
CAG

Quote:
Which is a great point. Would Jayco be better off to not include tank sensors or make them options? Let's not include the $50 version at all, only offer a $500* from the factory option.

*Sea Level at retail is a $275 or so product. With multiple markups from the factory and dealer then labor plus future warranty work a to the consumer price of $500 isn't unreasonable.
Actually, I don't pay much attention to them anyway so not being there would be fine with me but some people would Bitxx and there is the problem and Jayco would be forced into supplying them, oh, they have to do that anyway . Catch 22 and probably like leaving the full spare tire out and putting in the doughnut.

Price on Amazon starts at $250 and it is a job that the owner can do with little effort, if you do not have an enclosed and insulated underbelly.

Old 07-20-2020, 03:03 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAG View Post
Yes, what you are missing is that the few gallons of water and Dawn, or some cleaning chemical sloshes around inside the tank and cleans the sensors. Look up GEO METHOD for tank cleaning.

It is common to add some cleaning chemical, I prefer Dawn, and about 10 gallons of water and then go on the road to my next destination. I then dump when I arrive. You would be amazed how dirty the water is when you thought you cleaned the tank well.
It's interesting that splashing cleaner on them is better than soaking them. I would think that completely filling the tank would be more effective.
Old 07-20-2020, 03:10 PM   #29
CAG

Quote:
It's interesting that splashing cleaner on them is better than soaking them. I would think that completely filling the tank would be more effective.
It would seem, but it is not. Better water action with waves.

Old 07-25-2020, 01:22 PM   #30

We put a Man on the Moon but we can not make a water hose that will not kink. I still think A prerequisite to work at JAYCO you should have to live in one of thier RV’s for 2 Weeks before you can go to work at the factory. I would bet you $5,000 they would build a better RV then, because they would have seen and experienced some of the problems we as Jayco owners put up with.....
Florida Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2020, 01:43 PM   #31

Three years and 36,000 miles I'm amazed our rig is still in one piece. Like many things including your house, you get what you can get, but to have exactly what you want or have it work the way you want, you have to make it that way or pay someone else to make it that way. Our 16XRB is perfect for us now - I have made over 40 mods and improvements from tires to fantastic fan and many features in between - and we love it.

Our sensors aren't worth checking but we have learned to tell when the tanks are getting full. Not a problem really, just irritating.

I think much of the pleasure of owning an RV is working on it and modifying it to make it just right for yourself - like we did with cars back in the '60s and '70.
Hollander Mutthaulers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2020, 02:57 PM   #32

Other than flushing black tanks out thoroughly, and using the blue stuff,( tank treatment for smells etc..), should people be regularly using some type of cleaner or homemade concoction on a maintenance basis? I’m on my third rig, I’ve always just flush the heck out of my black tank after a final dump, I never had issues with any sensors. Maybe I’m just lucky!
Johnynorthland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2020, 03:01 PM   #33

Add this:

A little Calgon and Powdered Borax mixed with a couple of cups of water work wonders!
R2unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2020, 04:11 PM   #34

Send a message via AIM to 2KOOL4U Send a message via Skype™ to 2KOOL4U
What I've done and which works is I put bags of ice down the toilets and the ice bangs off the sides and loosens any debris stuck to the sides. As for the gray water, I haven't a clue. Good luck
2KOOL4U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2020, 04:44 PM   #35

Gentlemen... The answer is simple. $$.

I purposely purchased a bottom of the line trailer knowing I was getting the same equipment as the more expensive trailers, but cheaper build. Build I can deal with. So far, my Coleman has had no issues traveling or camping. Everything works. Even the tank sensors work about 75% of the time accurately! I'm happy. (knock on wood)

BTW, I use Calgon for both tanks and Happy Camper for black. Very few issues!
Crossing fingers things continue as they have.
Off to get trailer for a week out of town!
videoarizona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2020, 06:21 PM   #36
DGW

Grey Tank Sensors

I've had good luck with the stuff below. I use it on the Black and Grey tanks.

https://www.thetford.com/product/tan...-tank-cleaner/

Follow the instructions....
DGW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2020, 08:40 PM   #37

I have found that putting two 7 lb bags of ice cubes in the tank along with a gallon or two water and one bottle of tank cleaner before departing for home does a great job of cleaning the tank. I have yet to have an issue with the sensors using that method.
joe w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2020, 06:10 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida Ranger View Post
We put a Man on the Moon but we can not make a water hose that will not kink. I still think A prerequisite to work at JAYCO you should have to live in one of thier RV’s for 2 Weeks before you can go to work at the factory. I would bet you $5,000 they would build a better RV then, because they would have seen and experienced some of the problems we as Jayco owners put up with.....
I have said for years that a design engineer should not be allowed to sign off for production on "Anything" unless he/she has worked in a repair facility on similar items for a least 5 years.

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS, Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50X, TST Systems 507 TPMS, RV Flex Armor Roof
edatlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2020, 10:34 AM   #39
CAG

My wife says that men need to be taken out of design for anything that women use in and RV. They have not a clue.

Old 07-26-2020, 10:46 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAG View Post
My wife says that men need to be taken out of design for anything that women use in and RV. They have not a clue.
I hear that frequently from my boss (wife) too
Groveite is offline   Reply With Quote