Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-09-2018, 09:14 AM   #1

cO2 alarm

we have a 212QBW 2015 model. went for a week long trip. after arriving about 3 hours travel time discovered our C02/propane alarm going off.
according to instructions on panel it detected propane. we were running the fridge while on the road. it has never done this before. Soon as we opened the doors for a minute or two it stopped. neither of us could detect the smell of propane at all. no problems during the week running fridge on electric but the hot water heater is gas. to make a long story short we had same thing happen after arriving home. My question is how to trouble shoot this issue ?? thanks in advance
troutcamper
Old 10-09-2018, 10:11 AM   #2

If it continues to sound randomly after a thorough inspection it would probably be wisest and easiest to just replace it.
WinnieView is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 11:09 AM   #3

this is a built in panel with both C02 and propane sensors that is factory installed.
Old 10-09-2018, 01:43 PM   #4

I always find it funny that we keep calling these CO2 alarms - and yes I'm sure I do it too. If they actually detected CO2 (Carbon Dioxide) they would go off anytime someone breathed near them. They actually detect Carbon Monoxide, and some (not all) models also detect Propane. They can also detect several other conditions that send up false positives.

Since your TT is a 2016, it is unlikely that it has gone bad; they usually last 5-10 years, so you should be good until 2021 unless it has failed prematurely. If the inservice or mfg. date is not evident on the front, remove the two screws that hold it on the panel and the date should be on a label on the back. I use a sharpie to mark the replacement date on the front of mine when swapping out. And yes, they are easily replaceable.

One of the biggest causes of false alarms with these is low voltage. I find mine to be a better indicator of low battery than the indicator panel that Jayco installs. Is it possible that your battery is not charging while off shore power? Did the alarm stop when you plugged into shore power?

Many aerosol sprays will set off the units. Some here have even reported smelly dogs setting it off. However, best to err on the side of caution if you can't identify another source.

If you are travelling with the fridge on propane, and there is no other evident cause, I would seriously consider that CO (carbon monoxide) is leaking into your trailer. This killer gas is completely odorless, so you won't smell it. If I wanted to test for certain, I would just temporarily put a residential battery operated CO (only) detector right beside it. If both go off you know you have a problem! The one I use in my home has a display that shows the current PPM concentration of the CO gas, and will also display the maximum level reached in case it is a transient problem.
bankr63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 01:47 PM   #5

thanks I think you hit the nail on the head. My battery is very weak and needs replacing. need to get a shut off for it when not in use.
it stopped soon as we plugged in.
thanks a bunch.
Troutcamper
Old 10-09-2018, 03:03 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutcamper View Post
thanks I think you hit the nail on the head. My battery is very weak and needs replacing. need to get a shut off for it when not in use.
it stopped soon as we plugged in.
thanks a bunch.
Troutcamper

and thank you for letting us know your solution!
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote