Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-30-2023, 12:14 PM   #1

Co2 and Propane chirp

Pulled camper out of winter storage. Reconnected batteries to the solar panel. Hooked camper to shore power (house) when doing a deep clean on inside and out. The CO2 and Propane detector chrips every 1 min with the red and green flashing once while chirping. The detector seems to be hardwired in and tech support states, low voltage when I call to ask for tech support. Would there be a back up battery in the wiring? Any ideas how to fix this? Don't want to miss out on the peak camping season due to this annoying chirp.

The dealer can't get me in until mid July to look at it.

Camper is:
2021 Jayco White Hawk 24mbh
Bought new last year and have extended warranty
Mike97765 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2023, 12:17 PM   #2

It could be that the alarm is just bad.
They have a life span, and some will go bad within a couple of years.

Just grab a new one and replace it. Then see if it's still doing it.

Of course, disconnect from your electricity and disconnect the negative battery terminal.
stinger608 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2023, 01:14 PM   #3

I sprayed bug repellent on my leg in the doorway of my trailer, set the alarm off but also clogged the sensor. Had to replace it as it chirped from then on. .
tennistime99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2023, 02:14 PM   #4

welcome aboard. Could be a few things. I know you said you plugged in the TT. Have you checked your 12V voltage level. They will chirp when the voltage is low. Don't recall at what voltage.

If you have something like a dirty shoe, stinky dog, dead mouse, some type of gas like an aerosol can leaking or used in the area, etc, it will trip it.

I would check your voltage. Disconnect it (pull the fuse for 30 seconds), and reset it.

In theory they have a 10 year life, but many people have reported significantly shorter life spans. Mine is now 11 years old and has worked flawlessly (time to replace).

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2023, 05:54 PM   #5

Many aerosol cleaning agents use propane as its pressure source. I once cleaned areas in my rig with Lysol spray and the detector went nuts. Took weeks of airing out to get the thing to calm down.

Check the cleaner label to see if it contains propane.

As mentioned, low battery voltage wrecks havoc on them. I recently replaced mine because it was acting up and was over 5 years old. Best price was on EBay for a new unit.
Attached Thumbnails
Capture.jpg  

Jim

Retired electronic technician (45 years in the field)
2017 Greyhawk 29W (solar & many other mods)
wife (maybe I should have given her top billing)
JimD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2023, 06:13 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennistime99 View Post
I sprayed bug repellent on my leg in the doorway of my trailer, set the alarm off but also clogged the sensor. Had to replace it as it chirped from then on. .
Yep, my wifes hair spray took ours out in short order. $60 later and she now can only spray in the bathroom with the door closed and fan on...lol
Dbunke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2023, 06:50 PM   #7

I don't know which one you have. Mine has an end-of-life at 5 years, lights flash red red green green at end of life (printed on face of alarm).

I'm on my third one... replaced 2017 and 2022.
garywilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2023, 07:23 PM   #8

This may not be the exact same model however, I suspect the codes are common to most all RV CO/Propane detectors. ~CA

Attached Thumbnails
Capture.JPG  
Old 05-31-2023, 03:27 AM   #9
Site Team

Usually the "chirp" is from the smoke detector on the ceiling. My CO/LP detector has never chirped, it's loud designed to get your attention. I would not let that spoil a trip. We purchased a portable that plugs in to an ac outlet and only use it when something is affecting the other that has been determined to cause it to give false alarms. if the unit is removed, just disconnect and cap the pos 12dc wire on the back and it will disable it.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2023, 11:52 AM   #10

Thanks all.

I have a feeling it was the bug bomb that set it off. It was set on the counter above the alarm. But the moth invasion here in Colorado it was needed. Hundreds of dead ones found after the bomb.

With it being hard wired in - is there a way to cut the wires and cap them and just go with a battery power one?

The date shows 2026 expiry date but I know that's just a random number they put on.

The brand is RV Safe.

Thank you all for the info on this.
Mike97765 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2023, 01:58 PM   #11

Mine just hooks up using wago wire connectors. Only needed a screw driver to get it off the cabinet. No tools needed for the wire connections. Next time you bug bomb just take it out first.
Dbunke is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
co2 detector, propane alarm