Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-11-2018, 02:57 PM   #1

Cold weather/ freezing pipes

I have to live in my jay flight 23RB in a mobile home /Rv park an the temperature gets down to 20 to 28 at night . Sometimes. My outside water hose , that is wrapped with foam wil freeze. What about the water pipes under the trailer, we set the furnace at 55 at night, will the pipes underneath get some of that heat to keep from freezing? Can I turn of the city water tap off at night and open the inside taps in the RV to drain the water from the out side hose ? Anybody got ideas that have had the same experience.

Steven
Old 02-11-2018, 03:10 PM   #2

Send a message via Skype™ to ALJO
Seems you looking for short term improvement. For the outside you can use heat tape on the hose (keep as short as possible) and re-install the insulation.
If you have an enclosed underbelly it will help a bit if there's a heating outlet going down around the tanks. FW-Tanks need a heating pad for lower temps and also the suction line need heat tape. For long term solution you have to make permanent improvement to the whole RV, Like insulating the underbelly, heat tape around the discharge from bot grey and black tank; tarp skirting etc.
Pro Series 1200 lbs. WDH with Double Sway Bar.
Champion 3100/2800 watt Inverter/Generator-Onboard Solar Power
ALJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 03:36 PM   #3

I know if this is just for a few nights you are better off filling the water tank and disconnecting the hose. Not sure if that helps for longer term.
GrumpyDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 03:44 PM   #4

What about letting a cold water faucet drip during the really cold nights?
Old 02-11-2018, 05:42 PM   #5

What I found to be the most useful was to disconnect the hose at the supply spigot, then make sure you drain all the water out by raising the hose starting at your trailer. Then, I just lay the hose on the ground overnight and connected in the morning.
2019 Chevy express 2500 Van Coversion. 2017 Jayco 23MRB: 26' total and Glacier Package. 2 Renogy solar panels. Married 49 years. Haley the mutt, 4 years old. "Excited to learn new things everyday and humbled by those who offer to help." And very grateful to our Moderators!
travelingjw is offline   Reply With Quote