Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-12-2019, 07:31 PM   #21
Site Team

Jayco must have bought a warehouse full of those analog stats. They are two generations old. Maybe we could start a poll to guess when they will run out of analogs and start putting digitals on new units.

If anyone wants to go back to analog, I have two that I can't bear to throw them away. That's my problem.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 08:16 PM   #22

Send a message via AIM to wilderness john Send a message via MSN to wilderness john
Likewise I'm hesitant to throw old one out. Guess it will sit around the garage for a year or so, then out it goes.
wilderness john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 08:44 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
Jayco must have bought a warehouse full of those analog stats. They are two generations old. Maybe we could start a poll to guess when they will run out of analogs and start putting digitals on new units.

If anyone wants to go back to analog, I have two that I can't bear to throw away. That's my problem.
I kept my old analog unit simply in case of an emergency, should the digital one fail. Of course in due course, it'll probably get lost in the garage and will be of little use in an emergency.

2014 F150 SC, 4x4, HD Pkg, Sterling Gray
Atlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 07:50 PM   #24

Honeywell Thermostate

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibra0078 View Post
When I had the Colman thermostat the high and low speed did work just fine, however after one season I tossed in a box and I stalled a Honeywell home thermostat that can run on batteries.

The Colman is horrible when trying to adjust the temperature in the couch. It may be that your low wire is not hooked up.

I hate my Coleman RV AC thermostats too, though I love the ACs themselves.

You said you installed a Honeywell home thermostat to run your Colman RV ACs. Can the wiring for a home thermostat be applied to an RV AC? Also, what model Honeywell did you use?
hikerjohn7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 09:16 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by hikerjohn7 View Post
I hate my Coleman RV AC thermostats too, though I love the ACs themselves.

You said you installed a Honeywell home thermostat to run your Colman RV ACs. Can the wiring for a home thermostat be applied to an RV AC? Also, what model Honeywell did you use?
I've used both of these thermostats in campers that I've owned. I think as long as they are ran on their own batteries any of them can be used. Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20190417-211428_Chrome.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	33.9 KB
ID:	48761Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20190417-211336_Chrome.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	45.0 KB
ID:	48762
branden.peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 09:29 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilderness john View Post
Thanks for the info. I've ordered the digital version of the Mach thermostat and I'll see if I can resolve the wiring issue if there is one.
Does it shut off if fan set to the other speed? Maybe hard to hear difference, but you would see it on the ammeter; AC needs to run mainly on HIGh to prevent Freezing; Heater can run well on Low?
thenne1713 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 11:44 AM   #27

Wow, I am familiar with the one of those since I used it in my house before I installed a Nest. And it worked great.

But I was of the belief that the RV units had different wiring schemes than a home based ACs. But I guess if you get the right wires connected to the their appropriate AC components, it works the same.

Thanks for the feedback.
hikerjohn7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 01:42 PM   #28

Yah I had to do a bit of searching and trial and error how to wire it up in my SOB fifth wheel, but it did end up working once I got the wires where they belonged.
branden.peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 12:51 PM   #29

Thanks to all on this thread who pointed me in the right direction on how to swap the stock analog thermostat for the newer digital one. I just installed my new Coleman 8330-3862 thermostat and it works great! I bought it at Amazon and it was indeed a wire to wire swap. I also made sure I turned off the battery and unplugged from shore power before the install.

For those who haven't read my profile I must confess that I don't actually own a Jayco...I own a Starcraft Autumn Ridge. I get more information from the Jayco threads than I do the Starcraft threads. Besides, a lot of the major components in my trailer have Jayco stickers on them with Jayco part numbers, so I think it was actually built at the Jayco factory after Jayco acquired Starcraft.

Hope I don't get banned as an intruder..........

Coleman 531-0119V Airxcel 8330-3862 T-Stat Wall Digital Heat/Cool: Automotive

Route 66 Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2019, 05:05 AM   #30

Will get to try out my new Coleman Mach 8330-3362 Digital Heat/Cool RV Thermostat this weekend I just installed. Camping in Intercourse PA and it is turning a little cool tonight they say. Hope it works.
Mike
mikegray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2019, 06:49 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Route 66 Traveler View Post

For those who haven't read my profile I must confess that I don't actually own a Jayco...I own a Starcraft Autumn Ridge. I get more information from the Jayco threads than I do the Starcraft threads. Besides, a lot of the major components in my trailer have Jayco stickers on them with Jayco part numbers, so I think it was actually built at the Jayco factory after Jayco acquired Starcraft.

You aren't alone. I, too, have a Autumn Ridge (2011 235 FB) and it is an almost exact twin of the Jayco 23fb, except the bathroom shower and cabinet are reversed. It WAS built on the Jayco assembly line because Starcraft shut down their line that year during the economic downturn and made their vehicles on Jayco's line.

Almost all the great info and ideas I've received about mods and fixes have come from Jayco owners. Thanks!
dewey02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2019, 07:08 AM   #32
Site Team

OK, public confession is good for the soul! You are officially accepted as a official member. LOL
Gator roll-up bed cover
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
Old 04-27-2019, 10:45 AM   #33

Send a message via AIM to wilderness john Send a message via MSN to wilderness john
Quote:
Installed the new digital model of the Coleman Mach (8330-386) today and wired it exactly as the old analog one was wired. Still only one fan speed but all else works ok. Think maybe the factory wiring is incorrect but that's a little beyond my abilities. May try to get a wiring diagram from Jayco if that is possible.
After first 3 day trip discovered that the thermostat would not maintain the "set" temp if the fan speed was set to "low". If fan is on "high" it would hold the temp fine. On low speed the unit would actually increase the "set" temp upward from what I had set and of course the furnace would oblige!! Woke up at 2:30 am with a 76 temp in trailer. I will run it on the high speed until I get time to play with it and figure out what the problem is.
wilderness john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2019, 12:46 PM   #34
Site Team

The furnace in mine does not operate on but one speed. It's not changeable when on heat.
Gator roll-up bed cover
Old 04-27-2019, 01:09 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
The furnace in mine does not operate on but one speed. It's not changeable when on heat.

Mine is the same, one speed on heat, two on AC. On AC there is only a slight change in sound and air flow from Hi to Lo, so I plan just to leave it on Hi.
Route 66 Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2019, 04:40 PM   #36

Just tested mine and I have 2 speeds on a/c and 1 speed on heat. At least it works.
Mike
mikegray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 05:32 PM   #37

Attached is a guide from MakariosRV.com for a replacement and/or upgrade for the Coleman Mach Thermostats. It does not list the newer Bluetooth stats, but Airxcel does have a list for upgrading to an Airxcel Bluetooth Stat

Balibe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 07:06 PM   #38

Quote:
Installed the new digital model of the Coleman Mach (8330-386) today and wired it exactly as the old analog one was wired. Still only one fan speed but all else works ok. Think maybe the factory wiring is incorrect but that's a little beyond my abilities. May try to get a wiring diagram from Jayco if that is possible.

I installed this model t-stat today. I connected the wires to the existing wiring, matching the color(s) but I have both the AC and furnace running simultaneously...

Any clue what I did wrong?
campaholix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 07:41 PM   #39

First off, colors may or may not mean anything. You never know if Jayco used the correct colors for the various functions.

Anyway, a thermostat in an RV should have one wire going to the furnace that supplies 12 volts to turn it on. The AC will use a totally different 12 volt feed wire for it plus it will have an additional wire for fan speed.

You say that both the AC and furnace turn on at the same time. Does this happen when the AC function is selected or when the furnace function is selected or both?

The thermostat should only set one connection (terminal or wire) "live" at a time. You can see from this wiring diagram what is suppose to happen.

I would be looking at a wiring error. A bad thermostat could remotely be considered I suppose. To test you can simply connect the control wire going to either the furnace or AC directly to the 12 volts feeding the thermostat. This would cause the unit to turn on. The thermostat is nothing more than a switch that does this for you.
Attached Thumbnails
Capture.JPG  
JimD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 09:26 PM   #40

I must have gotten lucky on our 2016 Jayco. I changed wire for wire with the old T-stat. All works good for ours.
Duke4857 is offline   Reply With Quote